TV Contract essential for the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Flames Go*

Everyone knows by now the Bettman negotiated a crappy deal for TV rights in the us. While the NBA, and NFL have billion dollar contracts the NHL is gonna be paid nothing. A better TV deal will help the economics of the game a lot. The NHL will not score a billion dollar deal, but they sure could get at least a contract of 500 million with ABC and ESPN or Fox in the US.

I don't think the NHL does a good job of promoting the league in the US, or the playoffs. Look at the NFL its Superbowl is the premier event, the NBA are pormoting the finals in the 1st rd of the playoffs. They got big fancy commercials that get you pumped up, but the NHL nothing. They need to capture the imagination of the viewers in the US. 10-9 hockey games will not bring in fans, it might drive some away with too much scoring. I cant belive people in the US suppourt Basbeball a sport for wimps, and yet they give Hockey a sport with excitment, thrills the cold shoulder.

Does anyone think the NHL can score a big deal in the US? What is th emoney they generate from CBC?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Makaveli_The_Don said:
Everyone knows by now the Bettman negotiated a crappy deal for TV rights in the us. While the NBA, and NFL have billion dollar contracts the NHL is gonna be paid nothing. A better TV deal will help the economics of the game a lot. The NHL will not score a billion dollar deal, but they sure could get at least a contract of 500 million with ABC and ESPN or Fox in the US.

I don't think the NHL does a good job of promoting the league in the US, or the playoffs. Look at the NFL its Superbowl is the premier event, the NBA are pormoting the finals in the 1st rd of the playoffs. They got big fancy commercials that get you pumped up, but the NHL nothing. They need to capture the imagination of the viewers in the US. 10-9 hockey games will not bring in fans, it might drive some away with too much scoring. I cant belive people in the US suppourt Basbeball a sport for wimps, and yet they give Hockey a sport with excitment, thrills the cold shoulder.

Does anyone think the NHL can score a big deal in the US? What is th emoney they generate from CBC?

Please remove your head from the sand! Do you think that Bettman negotiated a bad deal on purpose? Or do you think that no one was willing to pay for the dubious honor of televising NHL games? I sure think it's the latter. Bettman's ENTIRE strategy for the NHL has been predicated on getting a big $ TV deal, but the ratings have not improved as hoped. In fact, this CBA troubles now can be attributed to Bettman's sticking with his long term plan that allows all current markets to be viable.

Much less than 1% of the population of the US have actually played hockey, and with the exception of several area's, there isn't a traditional fanbase where you have the love of the game passed down between generations. Add in that hockey is very difficult to follow on TV if you're a casual fan, and TV ratings are brutal. No TV ratings = no big TV deal.

And before you start ripping on other sports, you have to realize that people like them for a reason. You might not, which is your perogative, but no one else cares. I'm dislike soccer, but there are probably 1 BILLION people on the planet that are HUGE fans. Who is right? We both are IMO.

Go Flames Go*

The fact people love Baseball in the US shows how backwards the people are there. Americans and there president are all out of shape people who love out of shape no athletes.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
Makaveli_The_Don said:
The fact people love Baseball in the US shows how backwards the people are there. Americans and there president are all out of shape people who love out of shape no athletes.

Sounds like you've been accused of throwing like a little old lady to many times in your youth.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Makaveli_The_Don said:

Funny, I can say with 100% confidence that Bush is in better shape than you are. He's got a rest HR of 44 (about the same as Lance Armstrong's), and when he went on a run with a bunch of military guys, they all tired way before he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad