TV Broadcast Disappointment Thread

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
my only complaint is an old complaint. we aren't critical enough of bad plays and who was at fault. .
That is another reason why I love the Hurricanes broadcasts- Forslund and especially Tripp Tracy are not afraid to be critical- it is very refreshing (and rare).

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I know Willy was a former athlete so it shouldn't be a big surprise, but when him and Mason stand next to each other Mase looks tiny.

Photosniper89

May 23, 2017
Huntsville, AL
After the previous train wreck, you won't hear any complaints from me on this year's broadcast.

I don't remember the previous years broadcasters. To be honest, I didn't have local tv so a lot of the games I watched were streams that weren't our group. Guess If I had maybe I wouldn't think our current group is so bad haha.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
I just wish there was some way to get the awful Derwood McFarland off radio. Ugggh he's the worst. He overemphasizes every detail like it's some huge revelation ("He skated down the ice!!!!") and just way too much booty kissing of anyone associated with the Preds because he loves to think he's in the cool kids club.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I don't remember the previous years broadcasters. To be honest, I didn't have local tv so a lot of the games I watched were streams that weren't our group. Guess If I had maybe I wouldn't think our current group is so bad haha.

That explains a lot. If you never suffered through years of Grimson as color/analyst then you can't appreciate the improvement. Not top shelf PBP & analyst but definitely better team without Stu.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I've liked Mason so far and think he's gotten better as the season goes along.

Though, I think he's kind of in the same boat as Grimson where he, not surprisingly, has better insight into goalies than anything else. I wonder if it would ever be possible to have rotation of color analysts that included say a goalie, a defenseman, a top-6 forward, a bottom-6 forward and a coach. So fans would be getting a constant rotation of viewpoints. It's probably not practical, but I can dream!

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I've liked Mason so far and think he's gotten better as the season goes along.

Though, I think he's kind of in the same boat as Grimson where he, not surprisingly, has better insight into goalies than anything else. I wonder if it would ever be possible to have rotation of color analysts that included say a goalie, a defenseman, a top-6 forward, a bottom-6 forward and a coach. So fans would be getting a constant rotation of viewpoints. It's probably not practical, but I can dream!
Just swap Mason and Gill out every few games. Gill is hilarious on the radio.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I think Gil eventually moves to the TV role. Though he was never a top 6 forward he still sees the play at a high enough level to break plays down 100% better than Stu ever could. Not to mention that he speaks well and is funny, not Pete and Terry folksy yuck yuck funny, actually funny.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I will say I like how Willy and Mase are starting to call out the officials and being more homer-y in the last week or so. Maybe the greater team success has given them more of a wider berth from the org in doing so.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I have no complaints about the broadcasts, I love Mason and Gill on the broadcasts.

But for the home games I'm tired of Paul McCann's calls for some things. I hate when he announces the other teams power play, like he's saying it thru gritted teeth and barely audible and drawn out. Just announce it.

And maybe the sponsor makes him say it like this but, I hate his "HEY SMASHVILLE, ARE YA HUN-GRAY?!!!?!" for the Big Mac goal. I wish he would just announce it like the Frosty goal.

I know Willy was a former athlete so it shouldn't be a big surprise, but when him and Mason stand next to each other Mase looks tiny.
I didn't think they were that different in height, but it's weird how much smaller Mason looks.

Mason needs a Trotz box to stand on!

Reactions: tulsytrid1

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
That is another reason why I love the Hurricanes broadcasts- Forslund and especially Tripp Tracy are not afraid to be critical- it is very refreshing (and rare).

Just a follow up on this- I watched Canes/Sharks last night- Canes blew a 3-0 and 4-1 lead and lost in OT. First thing Forslund said was "that is an inexcusable loss". Tracy was critical as well.

Think we would have heard that on a Preds broadcast?? No way

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
If you listen to other broadcasts you hear the opponents scored announced in pretty much the same way. I think it's just a thing--you don't want your in arena announcer announcing their goal with too much enthusiasm. I'd never noticed the gritted teeth effect but certainly there is a much different inflection to it than our goals.

I think Brent Peterson would have said something was an inexcusable loss. He's pretty outspoken.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Just a follow up on this- I watched Canes/Sharks last night- Canes blew a 3-0 and 4-1 lead and lost in OT. First thing Forslund said was "that is an inexcusable loss". Tracy was critical as well.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

Wait... I'm sorry but if you need an announcer to tell you that then you don't watch enough hockey to worry about the announcing team. Maybe they would use those terms, maybe they wouldnt, but as long as they didn't try to spin it as somehow OK what difference does it make? I feel certain our announcers would probably at a minimum call it a "disappointing loss" and would probably say something to the effect of the coaches and players not being happy about it, and that's fine. Leave the hard core bashing for the radio talk shows.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Wait... I'm sorry but if you need an announcer to tell you that then you don't watch enough hockey to worry about the announcing team. Maybe they would use those terms, maybe they wouldnt, but as long as they didn't try to spin it as somehow OK what difference does it make? I feel certain our announcers would probably at a minimum call it a "disappointing loss" and would probably say something to the effect of the coaches and players not being happy about it, and that's fine. Leave the hard core bashing for the radio talk shows.

I really have no idea what you are talking about here- you are way overthinking this. Who said anything about "needing an announcer to tell you" anything??? That has nothing to do with anything.

It was just a simple observation- I would much rather listen to TV guys who don't sugar coat everything. And there are plenty of them who absolutely would spin the above scenario as "ok". Some crews are fair and balanced and don't act like the home team or their players can do any wrong. And some are much better (or worse) at it than others.

I have no idea how or why you take that to mean that a fan needs the announcer to tell you how to feel.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Your post implied that our announcers would have sugarcoated a similar situation. My point is twofold: First, no amount of sugarcoating would change the fact that a loss like you described was unacceptable, ergo you don't need the broadcast crew to bluntly point out what is obvious to even the most casual fan. Second, I dont see why you think being harsh deserves some kind of special credit. I get it that nobody wants the announcers to be unrealistic homers, but they are the teams announcers, not an unaffiliated crew like you get on a national broadcast, so some degree of positivity toward the home team has to be considered part of the job...

Reactions: Viqsi

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
If you listen to other broadcasts you hear the opponents scored announced in pretty much the same way. I think it's just a thing--you don't want your in arena announcer announcing their goal with too much enthusiasm. I'd never noticed the gritted teeth effect but certainly there is a much different inflection to it than our goals.
I wasn't talking about goal announcements, I was talking about how he announces the other team is on the power play. I think "xx is on the powerrrrrrrr playyyyyyyyy" for the visitors is stupid. I know we all hate giving up a PP, but just announce it.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'm not a fan of that either because it makes it difficult to time the "and they still suck!"

It's hard enough to get the whole arena in sync as it is, but now people are just going with it at 5-6 various points of the "playyyyyyyy"

Maybe it's something we can bring up to Paul on Twitter? Or maybe it's by design to deter that.

Maybe it's just me since I don't go to many games now, but I also noticed the "Hey, You Suck" part of the goal celebration is difficult for me to time as well. It just doesn't seem to make any sense with the flow of the song, and mind you I've been a traditionally trained percussionist for over 25 years, so timing isn't a problem for me. But the rest of the crowd obviously gets it, so I guess it is whatever it is.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I'm not a fan of that either because it makes it difficult to time the "and they still suck!"

It's hard enough to get the whole arena in sync as it is, but now people are just going with it at 5-6 various points of the "playyyyyyyy"

Maybe it's something we can bring up to Paul on Twitter? Or maybe it's by design to deter that.

Maybe it's just me since I don't go to many games now, but I also noticed the "Hey, You Suck" part of the goal celebration is difficult for me to time as well. It just doesn't seem to make any sense with the flow of the song, and mind you I've been a traditionally trained percussionist for over 25 years, so timing isn't a problem for me. But the rest of the crowd obviously gets it, so I guess it is whatever it is.
I can't get it right either. It's not really on beat, it's more like they're doing to the timing of the old song and that definitely feels weird.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad