Tuukka Rask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
When do you think he'll come over to North America? I've been hearing not for a few more years but with the whole Belfour situation, any chance he'll come over earlier? Or will Pogge just jump into the picture until Rask is actually ready?

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Buffalo87 said:
When do you think he'll come over to North America? I've been hearing not for a few more years but with the whole Belfour situation, any chance he'll come over earlier? Or will Pogge just jump into the picture until Rask is actually ready?
Remember that he has to be signed within two years of his draft, so that will have an impact.

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
Buffalo87 said:

I think Rask is going to play in North America next year?

I'm not 100% sure.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I have heard from a scout that Toronto is looking to use one of/both of Rask and Pogge next year.

Hawkhead

Jun 5, 2004
Canada
www.kiekko.tk
I'd love for the leafs to use one of them next year....

heheh

in the Leafs best interest of course

Its way too soon for these two, they would be slaughtered

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Hawkhead said:
I'd love for the leafs to use one of them next year....

heheh

in the Leafs best interest of course

Its way too soon for these two, they would be slaughtered

They would play for the Toronto Marlies not the Leafs

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Birko19 said:
I have a feeling Pogge is gonna be nothing special, Rask on the other hand looks like an amazing pick.
im a leafs fan & i tend to agree, Pogge is big, strong positionally and controls his rebounds but it seems (to me) like he doesnt have that something extra i expect good back-up to lower tier starter.

Rask on the other hand has tremendous ability and potential and if he develops i think he could be a very good starting goaltender

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Tuukka Rask has played this season more minutes in the regular season than the guy he was pairing with (Pitkamaki, considered to be solid league-level player) in Finnish Elite League. He played 1724 minutes this season (league tops played over 3000), had two shut-outs and posted a saving average of 92,56. So the talent is there to work on. He might be ready for AHL games next season, but not the NHL. Playing a year in Finland as a team starter or adopting to NA style of play in AHL are equally good choices for his career development.

Rask is very quick, reads game well but on the other hand he is quite tall (nearly 6-3) and looks skinny. He will definately need some time to mature and build some frame. If he comes to North America next season, maybe you could take him to McDonald's more often. :D

Last edited:

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
vanwychen27 said:
im a leafs fan & i tend to agree, Pogge is big, strong positionally and controls his rebounds but it seems (to me) like he doesnt have that something extra i expect good back-up to lower tier starter.

Rask on the other hand has tremendous ability and potential and if he develops i think he could be a very good starting goaltender
I guess the WJC must seem like a centry ago if you don't remember the fact this guy has amazing relfexes. He is a very good athlete, and is not getting the same respect because it was more of an issue that Rask had a really bad defense, and Pogge did not. I'm sure if Pogge had played for Finland instead of Canada, he would had done just as well.
But as far as Rask goes, I do think he could likely have a better career. But to say Pogge doesn't fit the mold of the starter is off IMO.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Now, if Rask were to come over to North America, does he have to play in CHL or can he go right to the AHL. If he can do that, that's probably his best route. He can learn the pro game from the AHL and develop the way that Hannu Toivonen did. Nothing wrong with that at all.

As for Pogge, I could see him being dealt in a package deal. He's a valuable commodity for the Leafs right now and you have to know there's probably a GM or two who's interest might have been piqued after Pogge's performance this year.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
BobbyClarkeFan16 said:
Now, if Rask were to come over to North America, does he have to play in CHL or can he go right to the AHL. If he can do that, that's probably his best route. He can learn the pro game from the AHL and develop the way that Hannu Toivonen did. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Straight to the AHL. Its just CHL players that can't play in the AHL if they are under the age of 20.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
WCJr said:
:dunno: Dosent Rask have some sort of obligation to do some army duty?

Not sure, i heard that somewhere...
I believe so, which is one theory as to why he might stick around for another year.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
J17ster said:
How long is the army thing, Couldn't he just do it in the summer?
I have no idea. He probably does it on weekends and some part of the summer, I would guess. I think it's a 2 year thing, but don't quote me. Some Finn can set us straight, I'm sure.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
timlap said:
I have no idea. He probably does it on weekends and some part of the summer, I would guess. I think it's a 2 year thing, but don't quote me. Some Finn can set us straight, I'm sure.
I know Filppula had to do it last year, and it is just a weekend thing for like 6 months or something like that. He did it while still playing for Jokerit.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
timlap said:

It's 6 to 12 months. The rules for the athletes have changed a bit over the last two years so I'm not sure if you can do it over two consecutive summers for instance (the old rules didn't permit it), but in any case the schedule is pretty flexible if you're a top athlete and allows plenty of time for your training.

The way I understand it, Rask would need to sign an NHL contract *before* applying for the 6-month athlete program or otherwise it's 12 months for him. There's also the chance to serve 6 months in the non-athletic program and plenty of athletes do so (although 6 months is no guarantee for anyone there), but that one is not quite as flexible.

My English army vocabulary sucks big time, but I hope you got the picture. ;)

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
GoBoltz56 said:
I know Filppula had to do it last year, and it is just a weekend thing for like 6 months or something like that. He did it while still playing for Jokerit.
It's 6-12 months and it's not a weekend thing. He can play and practise with his team during the service though.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
GoBoltz56 said:

It's fulltime, with some weekend vacations. Obviously it's different to top athlete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad