Turn Back the Clock Night?

Vega

Nov 25, 2005
Socal
Has the NHL ever done a throwback jersey night similar to what the MLB does? I think it would be a lot of fun for the fans if maybe one or two nights a year the NHL teams would suit of vintage style. C'mon who wouldn't want to see the Pens back in the blue?
Penguins2.gif

Or the Kings back in yellow?
Kings2.gif

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
its been done before but only amongst a handfull of teams

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
Yeah I'm pretty sure the Kings have done it with the ol' purple and yellow. I think every team should do something like that - for a few nights out of the season wear the first jersey the team ever had. I think in the NBA they took it a step further at one point. Didn't the Wizards wear Bullets jerseys again?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
bladoww said:
Yeah I'm pretty sure the Kings have done it with the ol' purple and yellow. I think every team should do something like that - for a few nights out of the season wear the first jersey the team ever had. I think in the NBA they took it a step further at one point. Didn't the Wizards wear Bullets jerseys again?

Yes

In the NBA, they made some jerseys to look retro and wear on such nights.

kingsforever

May 12, 2004
the sabres (old blue ones) boston (can't remember what style) vancouver(blue one with the stick) and montreal (white with the red going through it) will all be wearing retro jerseys at some point during next season

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I'd like to see the Avs and Devils game in Colorado with retro jerseys. The Avs could be the Nordiques for one more game and the Devils could go back to being the Colorado Rockies.

The one problem with having all teams go retro is what to do with the teams that have no history? The teams in the south have no retro uniforms to wear. I would like to see San Jose become the California Golden Seals for a night or if they want to stay true to their history they could become the Cleveland Barons. I'd love to see the Coyotes become the Jets and the Hurricanes the Whalers.

As a tribute to the fans in Hartford, I figure the Hurricanes should play the Oilers in a preseason game in Hartford, with the 'Canes wearing Whalers jerseys.

It should almost become tradition that the Hurricanes, Avalanche and Coyotes play a preseason game each season in their former home and wear their former jerseys. In a sense it would allow those teams to continue to live on.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
A number of AHL teams do TBC nights once per season and auction the jerseys off after the game.

The Phantoms, for example, have worn jerseys of other former Flyer AHL affiliates and would often wear them against a team that is currently playing in that city. I was always hoping that they would wear Hershey jerseys when playing against Hershey.

parkdale lad

Jun 9, 2006
How about the Fisherman Islanders vs. the Flyers with Pants? :eek:

You want scary? How about Anaheim busts out those old "flying super-hero duck" jerseys to play Tampa in their old "lightning over the ocean" jerseys.

In a word: UG-LY.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
i cant wait wait for this retro trend in sports to pass. no i dont want see pittsburgh in blue or the kings in yellow. those jerseies were changed for a reason, they sucked.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'd like to see the Avs and Devils game in Colorado with retro jerseys. The Avs could be the Nordiques for one more game and the Devils could go back to being the Colorado Rockies.
As much as i'd like to see the Avs in Nords or rockies retro jersies there's no way I want the Devils donning rockies gear.

Jagr314

Dec 12, 2005
I'd dig that idea, I liked Vancouvers Black/Red/Yellow jerseys from when Pavel Bure played for them I'd like to see them back in those uniforms. The Whalers, Sabres, Flames, and North Stars and Nordiques jerseys were hot too. Most of the older uniforms look better to me though anyway.

O'shizzle

Oct 21, 2005
Detroit
Let's take it to the nth degree. Players should have to wear the old-style skates, use sticks with no curve and play without helmets.

Oh, and goalies could go maskless, too.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
The power of the throwback jersey can be described with how many of those pathetically lame "hockey stick" Canuck jerseys sold in Vancouver when they were rereleased. If people will buy the worst jersey in hockey history, people will buy anything.

That said, if we're going to go old school, lets go really old school. Break out the WHA's Vancouver Blazers vs Calgary Cowboys jerseys. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad