Tuomo Ruutu

Status
Not open for further replies.

wabwat

Aug 11, 2003
pasadena, ca.
Visit site
Teemu08 said:
Frankly, id rather have ruutu and arnason splitting the 1st and second as is.

eventually yeah but c'mon... these days teams need to roll three lines that can score, and the hawks had maybe two... and ruutu is still green, and his trial by fire just got a little hotter. losing zhamnov's hands and speed hurts. especially with the fact they were considering trading him... which doesn't look likely now

hawksgoal

Mar 2, 2003
germany
Visit site
It won't help Ruutu or Arnason because the all wise coach said that Nichols will center the 1st line, what a great move this will be. Face it Sutter will ruin all of these kids with the way he handles them.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Vlad The Impaler said:
You think so? I dunno, I don't think it's a good thing when you lose a fairly good player.

well, that's a perfect example of the unrealistic expectations that some Hawks fans have now that Ruutu is here....

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Actually, I think the fans are thinking more about the fact that these veterans are not winning the games either, so it does not make much difference if you give the youngsters more time on ice...result will not be much worse. They are rebuilding, so why not give more experience for guys like Ruutu. And thats why they dont think it's such a loss that Zhamnov is out for a while.

They are not expecting the results to be better in short term. but long term.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
DieHard said:
Jason Jason Jason...You really shouldn't be commenting things you don't know **** about.

1) There isn't a single finnish player in the RSL AFAIK

2) I don't think there are many swedish players in RSL either, definetly not 'alot of the better players'

3) There are currently 5-10 finns in the AHL, none of them are considered to be one of 'best finnish players'.

I recall reading a NHL pre-season article in a Finnish newspaper that numbered and named those in the NHL and AHL, there was +/- 12 who were expected to start in the AHL.

Anyways, out of that you need to take out, say the goaltenders who are still developing and their NHL club wants them to adjust by playing the AHL -> Lehtonen, Toivonen, Ahonen for example.

But the thing to remember is that the Finns who consider themselves too good for the AHL won't stick around there. They'll go back home.
Like Pärssinen or Kallio. Leaving the main reason for those Finns in the AHL as being adapting to the smaller ice and making the NHL team in the short-term.

Toskala (SJ) for example recently said that either he makes the team now, (Kipper gets traded) or he get's traded, or he's coming back. He said that he won't go back to the AHL anymore.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
DieHard said:
Jason Jason Jason...You really shouldn't be commenting things you don't know **** about.

Tero "The Punisher" Lehterä, don't remember the name of his club. Check his monthly column on his Russian experience in Veikkaaja magazine.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
DieHard said:

Tero Lehterä

3) There are currently 5-10 finns in the AHL, none of them are considered to be one of 'best finnish players'.

As far as I know there's 16 finns in the AHL: Toivonen, Koivisto, Pihlman, Pikkarainen, Ahonen, Pettinen, Niittymäki, Somervuori, Jokela, Jokila, Levokari, Salmelainen, Luoma, Rita, Lehtonen and Alen.

check the facts before you make claims like that.

You are a funny guy!

Spiffy

MaV said:
As far as I know there's 16 finns in the AHL: Toivonen, Koivisto, Pihlman, Pikkarainen, Ahonen, Pettinen, Niittymäki, Somervuori, Jokela, Jokila, Levokari, Salmelainen, Luoma, Rita, Lehtonen and Alen.
How about Antila?

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
Mattihp said:
How about Antila?

Hmm, wasn't he sent down to Columbus Cottonmouths in ECHL? I'm not sure really, looks like he has plyed no games this season so far.

Spiffy

MaV said:
Hmm, wasn't he sent down to Columbus Cottonmouths in ECHL? I'm not sure really, looks like he has plyed no games this season so far.
could be thanks for the info. Strange spelling on his name... First I thought it was a typo of the name Anttila but then I heard his name is actually Antila.

Spiffy

JasonMacIsaac said:
Well that list rights there is Finlands best goaltenders,a couple top forwards and I don't know much about the defense.
Or maybe you're way off?

Spiffy

JasonMacIsaac said:
How am I ay off, said most of Finlands best players go to the AHL. Rita, Pihlman, and Somervuori are three of the better forwards to leave Finland in the past couple of years and Ahonen and Lehtonen are the best two goaltenders.
Somervuori and Lehtonen were on the top of their game in Finland, the rest cannot even be seen as being some of Finland's finest players when they left. Pihlman was a good player, Ahonen was a good tender, Rita was a good prospect but they weren't top players when they were in Finland.

eh

Mattihp said:
Strange spelling on his name... First I thought it was a typo of the name Anttila but then I heard his name is actually Antila.

And everyone in NA seems to think he's of Italian origin: they spell it Antilla.

Hmm, wasn't this thread originally about Tuomo Ruutu...

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
ok, back to Ruutu for the second time....

DieHard said:
Wrong. I chatted with Tuomo Ruutu this summer, about three weeks before he left to NHL and he was clearly taller than me and I'm around 180cm, my estimate is that he was around 184cm-186cm which makes him 6'0-6'1 tall.

180cm is about 5'8"-5'9". The official Hawks web site has him listed as 6'2" tall. As for his true height, I don't think that even his mother knows for sure, but the 6'2" claim has only added to the unrealistic expectations that people have regarding Ruutu this year.

psycho_dad said:
so it does not make much difference if you give the youngsters more time on ice...result will not be much worse.

Right now, Ruutu is awful on faceoffs. the Hawks centers (Ruutu, Arnason, McLean, Nichols) average about 1 year of NHL experience. no, the result could be much worse.... you could ruin the confidence and development of the young players -- especially Ruutu, whom many have pegged to win the Calder.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Sammy said:
Ah, no they arnt.
And your point about poweforwards is frankly, stupid.
First of all, who says hes a "powerforward". Second of all,, who says hes dsone growing. Third of all, even if he has stopped growing, ya dont think guys improve after they have stopped growing. Lastly, ever heard of Jagr, Forsberg...rtc.

Ah yes they are. The AHL and RSL are better.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
who_me? said:
Right now, Ruutu is awful on faceoffs. the Hawks centers (Ruutu, Arnason, McLean, Nichols) average about 1 year of NHL experience. no, the result could be much worse.... you could ruin the confidence and development of the young players.

I *somewhat* agree. I don't think anything will ruin Ruutu's confidence yet, but I am totally against handing out things to a prospects and fail to see how Zhamnov going down is a blessing in disguise.

Ruutu will see plenty of ice time if he deserves it, whether Zhamnov is in the lineup or not.

Regarding Ruutu's height, he is most definitly very close to 6 foot 1 when I compare him to other players on the ice. Slightly taller than I expected but I don't really care. I have seen 6 foot 6 wusses and 5 foot 11 gritty players. I am more concerned about seeing a good physical game. If I was stuck fucusing on the dimensions of players, a good weight/height ratio would be what I would be looking for anyway.

Spiffy

Vincent_TheGreat said:
Ah yes they are. The AHL and RSL are better.
Give me the names of 5 players who have played 3 full seasons in the NHL and have become stars in the NHL.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
How am I ay off, said most of Finlands best players go to the AHL. Rita, Pihlman, and Somervuori are three of the better forwards to leave Finland in the past couple of years and Ahonen and Lehtonen are the best two goaltenders.

Here are their stats in their last season in SM-LIIGA

Jani Rita 50GP 5G 10A 15P 18PIM (playoffs: 5GP 0G 0A 0P) (a true star :D)
Eero Somervuori 56GP 21G 24A 45P 42PIM (was 4th in his team in scoring, Pardavy was 5th with 44P)
Tuomas Pihlman 53GP 19G 15A 34P 58PIM

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
1) I think it is ignorant to comment on which European league is the best (especially coming from those North Americans that probably haven't even seen a taped game from a European league), because all of you most certainly has not the knowledge required to make such statements. From what I have read here you are basing it on pre-season games (where for example some teams have been training on ice for a few days while other have been on ice for weeks) and in pre-season games the main goal is usually not to win but to prepare for the "real" season. The teams usually play a lot of juniors, not regulars.

It is my opinion that the best league can never be determined unless there is a new huge league with say the best 5-6 teams from the top leagues in Europe.

2) ...the RSL
... there has never been an above average Swedish SEL player in the Russian Hockey League. I'm not sure about this but I doubt there are many good Finnish players there also.

The reason why the best Swedish players do not want to play in Russia (despite getting a lot of offers and big money) is that there is very little SECURITY for a foreign player in Russia.
Teams have left players at bus stations saying they can just go home. This actually happened to a less known Swede 2 years ago (Björn Edén who was fired by St Petersburg) and I've heard about similar situations involving other players.

3) I do not find Matti's list of the Finnish players and how good they are to be very accurate. I have a feeling Matti is really underrating these guys.

My own list

SEL STARS
Hannes Hyvönen (most powerful shot outside the NHL? perhaps. Has during his time in the SEL become a very good scorer, a true sniper)
Tomi Kallio (probably the best player in the league when it comes to moving the puck in high speed)
Kimmo Kapanen (somewhat inconsistent, but without a doubt a superb goaltender that alone carried a team that most experts believed would finish last, last season)
Fredrik Norrena (very solid goaltender)
Pasi Määttänen (was a key-player for HV71 last season, had a serious injury but is now healthy again)
Juha Riihijärvi (almost a legend, this guy never gets old)
Kalle Sahlstedt (underrated, puts up a lot of points and contributes in many ways)

ABOVE AVERAGE SEL PLAYERS
Kimmo Eronen (perhaps the most underrated player in the whole league)
Janne Grönvall
Kari Haakana
Jani Hassinen
Toni Koivunen
Kalle Koskinen
Valeri Krykov
Juha Lind
Jouni Loponen
Tommi Miettinen
Tuukka Mäntylä (has just played 6 games, would not surprise me if he establishes himself as a great defenseman at the end of the season)
Antti-Jussi Niemi (see above)
Mikko Peltola
Jussi Tarvainen (will perhaps be a star player later on)
Pekka Tirkkonen
Antti Törmänen

AVERAGE SEL PLAYERS
Joonas Jääskeläinen
Erik Kakko
Markus Korhonen
Mikko Kuparinen
Veli-Pekka Laitinen
Mika Lehtinen
Mika Niskanen
Tommi Rajamäki
Juuso Riksman
Mika Strömberg
Jyrki Välivaara
Sinuhe Wallinheimo

BELOW AVERAGE SEL PLAYERS
Kimmo Vesa

Sammy*

Predatore said:
1) I think it is ignorant to comment on which European league is the best (especially coming from those North Americans that probably haven't even seen a taped game from a European league), because all of you most certainly has not the knowledge required to make such statements.
Speaking only for myself, I am not forming an opinion based on personal knowledge, only from which those more learned than I have said. I would suspect that if most were honest, that would also be where there knowledge comes from.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Sammy said:
I dunno how you figure that. Given that his stats last year in the Finnish League (which is widely acknowleged to be the best league in the world outside the NHL) if pro-rated out for the whole year (he played 30 games of a 55 game season) would have put in in the top 5 in scoring,as a 19 year old.
I think you are been a tad pessemistic about his offensive capabilities.

Get your facts straight..
THE RSL is way better then the finnish league

Spiffy

Predatore said:
1)
3) I do not find Matti's list of the Finnish players and how good they are to be very accurate. I have a feeling Matti is really underrating these guys.
I just wrote what the guys were when they were in SM-liiga, not elitserien, roles change and skills that are important in Finland and they are good at while swedes are better at other things might make them irrational players causing their points to go up and such.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Habs4Life said:
Get your facts straight..
THE RSL is way better then the finnish league

How is it WAY better, if their top team loses to the 4th or 5th team in Finnish league? How are they WAY better if Finland has won the euro tour 4 years in a row with players mostly from finnish league?

Please, if you like to make such silly comments, back them up with something. RSL is a good league, but way better? These stupid overstatements "Way better" or "hands down" do not belong into this comparison at all. Anyone using them here is totally ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->