Tumo Ruutu-2 Goals So Far Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Ruutu has 2 goals tonight so far against Clagary and that gives him 8-8-16 for the year. He is starting to show some signs offensively and his shot is alot better than I thought it was.

We are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnell here in Chicago. I am hoping he can stay hot and finish the year in the neighorhood of 15-15-30.

I think its a bit obvious Ruutu was overhyped but along with Mark Bell I think we have two solid rock em sock em forwards to build around in Ruutu and Bell. I see them both as potential 25 goal, 50-60 point players.

I only wish Yakubov and babchuk were still up here instead of the AHL, that Damn Sutter!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He's really a completely different player now than what he was in the first 30 games of the season.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
For what it's worth, Yakubov seems to be somewhat of a go to guy for Norfolk. You've got quite a player in Yakubov I think, same with Babchuk. Give it a couple of years and I think Chicago will have a good young core of forwards. I hope my team's able to follow as well, and I hope that the CBA is structured so that neither team will lose players to the larger market, richer teams.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
you have to remember, ruutu was coming off of knee surgery at the beginning of the year. i dont care how good you are, youre gonna slump coming off of knee sugery, because youre scared half-to-death that youre gonna screw up your knee again, so you play conservativly. However, ruutu seems to have gotten his confidence back, and its starting to show in the stats sheet.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I agree, but I think Ruutu will score more when all is said and done. He is a real good player, he just fell victim to the hype machine. He will be a very solid player for the Hawks for years to come.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
cant wait to see him and ovechkin in action together ;)

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
Jacobv2 said:
He's really a completely different player now than what he was in the first 30 games of the season.
I'd like to echo the same statements seen him twice at the beginning of the year and twice in the last month he has progressed/adjusted so much it feels like a totally different player I am also beginning to see why some would compare him to Peca. Good job Tuomo :yo: it's really nice that he snapped that ugly road streak Chicago had going aswell.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
On a side note, yuck giving up that lead was nasty by Calgary. Ruutu was impressive though, hopefully he plays like that more often, just not against Calgary ;)

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
agreed.... i cant wait till next year to see more of babchuk from the hawks. He looked good against detroit, and any player that could turn into a huge player like a hatcher and a fischer or a pronger interest me a lot... that and i got him in a fant league :)

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
MrKnowNothing said:
For what it's worth, Yakubov seems to be somewhat of a go to guy for Norfolk. You've got quite a player in Yakubov I think, same with Babchuk. Give it a couple of years and I think Chicago will have a good young core of forwards. I hope my team's able to follow as well, and I hope that the CBA is structured so that neither team will lose players to the larger market, richer teams.

yeah he has what ? 5pts in a dozen nhl games ? Sounds good for a rookie . How is his defensive play ?

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
He's like a different hockey player out there. Earlier in the year, he seemed to be going out of his way too often to go and try to crush someone, now he doesn't do that and he's more in position to score and such. Wish the Jackets would have picked him instead of Leclaire (you can find a goalie anywhere in the draft).

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
I was at the Flames/Hawks game and Ruutu really stood out. He plays an abrassive, in your face game, and his confidence offensively seems to be very high right now. He was one of the best players on the ice for the Hawks last night.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Jozeph_Balej said:
yeah he has what ? 5pts in a dozen nhl games ? Sounds good for a rookie . How is his defensive play ?

Good, he made a couple backchecks against the Baby Pens. I've only listened to the one game.

But in the Pens game where he was playing for the Hawks, he was the player who impressed me the most. Same with the WBS/Norfolk game. He seems to be making things happen out there, and he has good size and knows how to use it.

Chicago's done a good job with drafting some quality players high. That's how it looks as of now, at least, to me.

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Qubax said:
Was at the Flames game tonight....Ruutu reminds me of Peter Forsberg

Except that Forsberg has better skating and playmaking abilities that I don't think Ruutu will ever develop. Sure he'll be decent, but I hardly doubt Peter Forsberg calibre.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Bandwagoner said:
Except that Forsberg has better skating and playmaking abilities that I don't think Ruutu will ever develop. Sure he'll be decent, but I hardly doubt Peter Forsberg calibre.

I dare say he will be a little better than "decent". He reminds me of former blackhawks forward: Jeremy Roenick. Lets just hope Ruutu stays in Chicago.

Kirk Muller*

The Blackhawks have the vastest pool of young forwards in or very near the NHL: Ruutu, Yakubov, Calder, Bell, Arnason, McLean, Radulov, Vorobiev, Moen and Thornton. That's ten guys who have played for the Blackhawsk in 03-04.

I don't know anything about the Blackhawks so I'm wondering if these guys are keepers to build around or just grinders who got their chance because of injuries and happen to be young ?

Hawkalyzer

Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
Kirk Muller said:
The Blackhawks have the vastest pool of young forwards in or very near the NHL: Ruutu, Yakubov, Calder, Bell, Arnason, McLean, Radulov, Vorobiev, Moen and Thornton. That's ten guys who have played for the Blackhawsk in 03-04.

I don't know anything about the Blackhawks so I'm wondering if these guys are keepers to build around or just grinders who got their chance because of injuries and happen to be young ?

for sure, theyre keepers

Kirk Muller*

Hawkalyzer said:
for sure, theyre keepers

I mean which ones in particular ? I've read a lot about the big prospects, but know less about the other ones (Moen, McLean) who've been in the regular lineup.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Kirk Muller said:

I will give my opinion on the Hawk rookie forwards here:

KEEPERS:

RUUTU-No need to elaborate as everyone is pretty familar with him.

YAKUBOV-Big all around center with good skill. he showed in his callup he is NHL ready right now and should be the Hawks second line center. His upside is huge.

A NOTCH BELOW:
VOROBIEV-Offensively skill but his overall game is a little soft. If he can add a little grit to his game could be an impact player. Solid offensive upside, but a little more AHL seasoning may be appropriate

RADULOV-An enigma. Possibly the most gifted offensive player in our farm system but effort is inconsistent. Has size and can lay some good hits on occasion but is not really a physical player. Lookout if he puts it together, but oon the other hand he couls be a player labelled his whole career as a what if. He is a protypical boom or bust type player.

GOT AN OPPORTUNITY DUE TO INJURIES:
MCLEAN-Does not really impress me. Plays a solid overall game but his production has fallen as the season goes on. Sutter likes him but he always likes the safe type players. His ice time should be allocatd to higher ice side players like yakubov.

THORNTON- A gritty tough guy with a tad of offensive skill but is pretty much a role player but the kind of teammate you love to have.

MOEN - Nothing more than a 4th line mucker with good size but little to no offensive ability. Its kind of a mysery why Sutter likes him so much.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Kirk Muller said:

I gave my opinion on the rookies in the above post, here is what I think of the young non rookies Bell, Calder, & Arneson.

BELL-An absoulte keeper. Great size at 6'4" and a nice combinaation of physicality and skill. Can hit with authority, will drop the gloves, and has an outstanding wrist shoot with good accuracy. Solid power forward with 25-30 goal potential/60+points. Sometimes I think his potential is even greater than that but I think the above assessment is fair.

CALDER-Gritty cornerman. Relentless effort, never tkes a shift off. Gets the most out of his ability, kind of like Mike York. I think what you see out of his is what you will get unlike Bell who is just tapping his potential. Calder is the kind of player skill players love having on their line as he does the digging in the corners and will take punishment in front of the net. His nickname is Chairman of the Boards.

ARNESON-Great offensive skills, maybe the best of these three. But his effort and all around game does match Bell or Calders. needs to improve dramatically on faceoffs. Sutter is not a big fan of his so he doesnt always get enough minutes.
Sutter is not always fair with his ice time and Arneson is victim of this but he still needs to improve his intensity on a consistent basis along with his conditioning.
If he puts it all together he could be a 40 goal scorer and would thrive in a wide open style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->