Tueday's meeting (4/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
HABSoluteDMB11 said:
Has there been any updates for those of you lucky enough to get fan590 or other stations like that? Please keep us updated throughout the day.
Still ongoing as far as I've heard; e.g., on fan590.com. (I'm in the Denver area also.)

X0ssbar

ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Has anyone heard any confirmation of what time the meeting actually started? Just trying to get a feel for how long it's been going on.

I've heard 11 and I've also heard noon. So minimum 3+ hours.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Top Shelf said:
I've heard 11 and I've also heard noon. So minimum 3+ hours.

How many of those to you think they were in the same room for? half hour so far?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Gary: Hey Bob, have you been stalling? Way uncool move.

Bob: No way Gary.

Gary: Cool. Golf?

Bob: Sounds good to me.

Gary: Same time next week?

X0ssbar

ti-vite said:
How many of those to you think they were in the same room for? half hour so far?

Unfortunately, I think a half hour is being optimistic :(

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
20/20 Update as of 3:40 on the FAN590...

No news at all... Not even a mention. So nothing has surfaced yet, you can count on that.

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
I really don't want to get optimistic here, but for the first time, absolutely nothing has gotten out, that could be a good thing, I mean the real time the meeting started isn't even known. Could this mean that both sides have actually been in the same room the entire time, conversing with each other like normal (or semi normal in their cases) adults?

NYIsles1*

Maybe they can do this like the Vatican..

White smoke-Settlement
Black smoke-No deal.;)

All kidding aside there is a short one-day window before the BOG meeting.

If tomorrow's meeting is delayed or postponed there is something to work with from this meeting. If not there is nothing workable.

Daly's public comments about the PA stalling yesterday were not good. It seems logical they meet, disagree again and the BOG tomorrow decides to go for an impasse. Goodenow told his player to be preparred to sit two years, the NHL claims it will return in the fall.

I know there is no 2004-05 season at stake but what happens today is critical, in some ways this seems as far as negotiation can be taken.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comrie_fan

Nov 25, 2002
Qc
Visit site
Are you sure they can be in the same room for more than 4 or 5 hours .I don't think so. The rivality is more important than the montreal canadian quebec nordiques rivality.

Prediction : they will have this comment when the meeting will be gone : "They dont't want to negociate... they dont' negociate in good faith... etc..."

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Just listened to the 4pm 20/20 update...heres the latest:

There wasnt even a peep about the meeting. They were talking about MLB and the new "Maple Leafs Square" that MLSE is building just west of the ACC. First I heard of that... heres a link about Maple Leafs Square: http://www.canada.com/businesscentre/story.html?id=4f8d8a53-4bee-42d3-8bed-544118d507be

Other than that, nothing new about the meetings. :dunno:

btw: anyone can listen to the Fan590 online... heres the raw link. Just paste it into the URL section of your media player:
http://www.jr-digital.com/asx/cjcl.asx

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
NYIsles1 said:

White smoke-Settlement
Black smoke-No deal.;)

Do we get the ringing bells too? And who gets to come out from behind the big red curtain and announce the deal, or will Bob and Gary emerge together holding hands?

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
I think we're coming up on that key point in the meeting. So many of these meetings that end without progress seem to wrap up after the 4-4.5 hour mark. If we can get this thing past the 5-hour mark, maybe, just maybe, I'll feel like there's a chance that something substantive is being discussed.

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
I think we're coming up on that key point in the meeting. So many of these meetings that end without progress seem to wrap up after the 4-4.5 hour mark. If we can get this thing past the 5-hour mark, maybe, just maybe, I'll feel like there's a chance that something substantive is being discussed.

I tend to agree Colorado, but there were also 7+ hour meetings that obviously didn't get us anywhere either. Although if it does go 5+ then at least I will feel like the two sides are at least trying and talking.

I also don't think that if the BOG meeting is still held for tomorrow its a bad thing. They have guys coming in from all over to attend it, some are most likely already in town, and on top of that it could be used as an update, where Gary can say "OK guys this is what happend, this is what was suggested/talked about, how far are you willing to go with this scenario?"

...so much for not getting too excited... :banghead:

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
UPDATE UPDATE!!!

there's a rollover on the ramp of the 427. Avoid that region on the drive home..

hope that helps.

in other news, there is none.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
NYIsles1 said:

White smoke-Settlement
Black smoke-No deal.;)

All kidding aside there is a short one-day window before the BOG meeting.

If tomorrow's meeting is delayed or postponed there is something to work with from this meeting. If not there is nothing workable.

Daly's public comments about the PA stalling yesterday were not good. It seems logical they meet, disagree again and the BOG tomorrow decides to go for an impasse. Goodenow told his player to be preparred to sit two years, the NHL claims it will return in the fall.

I know there is no 2004-05 season at stake but what happens today is critical, in some ways this seems as far as negotiation can be taken.
White smoke, Black smoke... :biglaugh: you nailed it...But seriously, it seems in the last few days, that any movement towards a deal from the last round of meetings has taken a back seat, to the theory that Knob Goodenow seems to think he has gained leverage, once again? I can't imagine losing your boys over a billion in salaries and still thinking you can have any leverage. Anyhow, as long as Gary and Bob control the show, there will be no deal, they just don't know how to compromise with each other, one is always trying to win...and the beat goes on...both should be fired and there would be a deal inside of a week! :rant:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Honest opinion? Goodenow can not afford to make a deal, he has to force the NHL to declare an impass as he has no alternative that does not make him look like a fool for not taking the prior deal.

Does anyone believe that the NHL will be able to offer anything better than was offered just before the season was cancelled? If not, then how would even getting as good an offer now (a very iffy proposition) be seen as anything but a big loss for the players?

This is all about Goodenow, who bluffed and was called, and saving his a$$. Do not get your hopes up, this is heading to replacement players, and put the blame right where it belongs. Goodenow and an attempt at saving his a$$ after his bluff failed.

Bettman and the NHL may deserve some blame, but they at least are trying for a deal now, I do believe that. Goodenow has other agendas because he misjudged.

MattNJD

Oct 21, 2002
New Jersey
Jaded-Fan said:
Honest opinion? Goodenow can not afford to make a deal, he has to force the NHL to declare an impass as he has no alternative that does not make him look like a fool for not taking the prior deal.

Does anyone believe that the NHL will be able to offer anything better than was offered just before the season was cancelled? If not, then how would even getting as good an offer now (a very iffy proposition) be seen as anything but a big loss for the players?

This is all about Goodenow, who bluffed and was called, and saving his a$$. Do not get your hopes up, this is heading to replacement players, and put the blame right where it belongs. Goodenow and an attempt at saving his a$$ after his bluff failed.

Bettman and the NHL may deserve some blame, but they at least are trying for a deal now, I do believe that. Goodenow has other agendas because he misjudged.

agreed!
:handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad