Tucson Roadrunners Discussion - Western Conference Champions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Bunting ties it up on a jam in front just after a PP expired, 1-1

Strome winds up on a rolling puck coming down the left wing and puts us up 2-1 in a PP

All RR in the 2nd after the 1st goal

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
In 14 games played Dylan Strome has 24 points. Only one guy ahead of him with 25 points and has played 5 more games than Strome.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Merkley and Strome with 1G 1A each in a 4-2 loss today. I think those two might have some chemistry :laugh:

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
Strome lead the OHL in points per game last year with 2.14. Now leads the AHL with 1.73. Cant wait for Strome and Merkely to move up. I would imagine Richardson/Cousins and Rieder/Duke are being shopped(with Schenn).

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What has happened to Wood? Has he still not adapted to the new system? Havent heard much in terms of production.

I just brought him up in the prospects thread. He's got 5 points in his last 6 after starting with 1 point in his first 9. I'm hoping he's heating up but am interesting if a Tucson resident or someone watching on AHL live can offer a take on him. Interested to know if he's racking up a bunch of secondary assists coasting off the Strome line or is he actually picking it up?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm still holding out hope that he's a late bloomer, taking the steps he needs to take to become a successful NHL center.

What do you mean by "late bloomer"? He has excelled at every level he has played. I think all he needs is a chance, but I might have rose colored glasses on because I think Strome is a big talent and like him more than most.:)

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
What do you mean by "late bloomer"? He has excelled at every level he has played. I think all he needs is a chance, but I might have rose colored glasses on because I think Strome is a big talent and like him more than most.:)
By comparison to his peers, he'd best be a late bloomer, or he's a bust. He's been in the big show every year since being drafted and can't stick. Nothing wrong with being a late bloomer, but if he can only bloom to a certain (AHL) level, there will have been something very wrong with the pick.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Jeez, I confess I believed our AHL affiliate history was probably pretty bad but never really paid that close attention to it...

I just researched it - Springfield won two rounds and took their conference final to a game 7 in 1997. Since then our affiliate (sometimes shared) has only won one playoff series, a best of 3 qualifier in 2003 when teams 7-10 in each conference played an extra round. Yikes. Even worse than the parent club.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Jeez, I confess I believed our AHL affiliate history was probably pretty bad but never really paid that close attention to it...

I just researched it - Springfield won two rounds and took their conference final to a game 7 in 1997. Since then our affiliate (sometimes shared) has only won one playoff series, a best of 3 qualifier in 2003 when teams 7-10 in each conference played an extra round. Yikes. Even worse than the parent club.
Yup, that's one less round than the big club over the past 20 years ;) A least there's a pattern.....

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Lost in all the commotion, Strome was named the AHL player of the week today with 8 points in 3 games.

Wood has been paired with Capo all season but we're running 4 forwards with Garland added to the top line as a 1st PP unit. Capo has the left D spot as the puck mover and Garland is the righty, hence Wood has zero PP goals this year.
He slowed down halfway through last year and said around the time of his AHL all star appearance that he'd been asked to work on rounding out his defensive game. I can't recall a turnover at the blue line recently... which is a big change from this time last year.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This should be interesting.... Kempe is centering Crouse and Merkley tonight.
Tucson will be a better club moving forward, because while Strome is great at generating offense, he is young and isn't aware enough in other zones, and they're replacing him with Kempe who is both fast and sticky.
That's how hockey works.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I can't imagine why it would work any differently than the NHL. Records are always better when you don't integrate youth and rely on sticky players and good guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->