Tucson Roadrunners Discussion - Western Conference Champions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Roadrunners in Ontario for their first preseason game. Up 2-1 half way through the second.

Smereck and Looke with goals.

Edit: Ontario leads after two periods. 3-2

Edit: Ontario wins 5-3. McInnis added a goal.

Last edited:

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
Roadrunners in Ontario for their first preseason game. Up 2-1 half way through the second.

Smereck and Looke with goals.

Edit: Ontario leads after two periods. 3-2

Edit: Ontario wins 5-3. McInnis added a goal.
I just wanted to say as a Ontario Reign fan and not knowing your team/roster at all that MacInnis really stood out to me. That kid can play.....he is going to be a good one for you guys.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
"Capobionco"
"Langhammer"
"Sakatoon"

Hopefully Barroway can buy them some software with spell check.

Also, I guess we signed Artur Tyanulin? I know that was rumored a few months back but I don't recall an official announcement. He's a right-shot, RW who led the Ottawa 67's with 85 points last year. 20 years old.

Reactions: _Del_

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Tyanulin was never announced so far as I recall, there's been an extra body in the # of players remaining in camp reports I couldn't figure out, mystery solved.

Campbell gets the C, captain of the Marlies the past two seasons and former Coyotes roster player continuing that tradition. Mermis gets an A, nice to see a home grown prospect growing into that role, stepped up for a teammate in the pre-season game down here.

"I-8 Border Trophy" being marketed as a thing:
http://tucsonroadrunners.com/news/?article_id=575

We did get a lot of Ducks/Gulls fans making the road trip last year and their support for Cunningham at our first road game after he was hospitalized was pretty cool to see.

The Roadrunners will also be attempting the red carpet event at 4:30pm before the 7pm game, not sure if this is an AHL wide thing or not. I thought it might end up embarrassing for them, then realized today is the Taste of Tucson food festival so there will be thousands of people downtown anyway sampling food vendors. Should be a decent crowd of gawkers gnawing on a variety of foods-on-a-stick, might pick up a decent amount of curb side ticket sales out of it.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Merkley gets the first of the year from Etem, then Garland on the PP.
Etem has been in the goalies face on every scoring chance.

Edit-scoring change on the 1st goal, Etem from Kempe and Merkley.
Kempe also had an assist on Garland's PP goal.

Last edited:

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
RR give up a SH goal.

Cheek, Allen and Larraza are a wrecking crew down low, Cheek feeds Larraza for the 3rd goal.

3-1 RR

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Miska gets smoked by a Gull cutting through his crease, then a high deflection, 3-3 tie game.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
2nd has been one long PK for us.

In between kills Allen got one but San Diego got it right back. Kempe nets one at the end of the period.

7-5 Gulls after 2

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Etem Merkley Kempe
Bunting Gaudet Garland
Sislo MacInnis Looke
Larraza Allen Cheek

Looke deflects a point shot, 6-7 Gulls!

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Kempe was 2nd star of the game, set-up lots of chances working low.

Couldn't tie it in the last minute with Hill pulled despite two wide open weak side chances. Merkley got stoned by an unreal pad save then Wood fired it wide on an empty net.

Garland is getting 1st PP unit time and Merkley is playing top line center surprisingly.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Etem is a point per game AHL player at this stage in his career. So he's clearly a 1st line winger. Who's likely he next best winger on the team? Rookie Nick Merkley? Garland is a dumpster fire. I want Strome with the best possible linemates. That sounds like Etem and a fellow rookie in Merkley, huh? Damn. We should give a contract to a recent NHLer who didn't make good on his PTO. PA Parenteau or Teddy Purcell or both. Strome needs help.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Etem-Strome-Merkley makes sense if Strome just steps into Kempe's line and Merkley slides over.

We're a two line team atm, 1st line and 4th line bring all the pressure. Bunting-Gaudet-Garland is thoroughly forgettable, hopefully the coach forgets they're still sitting on the bench. Sislo-MacInnis-Looke were ineffective, though Looke's deflection on the PP was sweet.

Maybe for game 2 we'll see Tyanulin, Pederson or Latta draw in.

I'm sure everybody now has October 21 & 22 circled on their calendar for the big Strome vs. Shipachyov matchup!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Wait a second. Am I reading this right? Tucson's first game was October 7th. Their 2nd game is 7 days later on October 14th and their 3rd game isn't until 7 days later on October 21st? What the f***?!?!? I have to be reading that wrong. Right?

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Roadrunners light up the Condors 4-0, Sisolo, MacInnis, Merkley & Gaudet, Hill gets the shut out.

Strome gets 3rd star with assists on the first two.

Reactions: AndrewYotes

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
As someone who always liked Merkley, besides his points, how has he looked? Always thought his game would suit pros more then juniors..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->