TSP: Washington Capitals Top Prospects

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
That is one of the best prospect reports I have read here. You also said what needed to be said....

Beyond Vrana there are not any other blue chip forwards

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Carrick was a good prospect , he won the AHL Playoff points, the first defenceman since 2001. They gave up him for nothing.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Depends entirely on how you view "nothing." They gave up a decent prospect to clear cap space. It's hard to view that deal positively in a vacuum. Even knowing the cap and roster situation it's still a little spotty, given they didn't use that cap space at the deadline last year and Winnik is still occupying $2.25M worth of cap space. It would have been interesting to see if they could have moved Laich in a different manner this summer, perhaps fully clearing the salary or retaining Carrick.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Depends entirely on how you view "nothing." They gave up a decent prospect to clear cap space. It's hard to view that deal positively in a vacuum. Even knowing the cap and roster situation it's still a little spotty, given they didn't use that cap space at the deadline last year and Winnik is still occupying $2.25M worth of cap space. It would have been interesting to see if they could have moved Laich in a different manner this summer, perhaps fully clearing the salary or retaining Carrick.

With Bowey and Seigenthaler coming up Carrick was never going to get a chance here.

As to moving Laich this summer, did you see what the Panthers just gave up in order to unload Bolland's contract?

FYI, it was the 11th overall pick from ONE YEAR AGO.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There are a lot of people with differing opinions on Crouse's potential, and whether he was worth that 11th overall pick or not. There's a strong contingent out there who don't think he has enough offensive upside to validate that pick, and think he projects as a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL.

I've posted my thoughts on Bowey and Carrick multiple times before. Don't really feel like reiterating it again.

Bolland made $1M more per season than Laich, but more importantly Bolland's contract doesn't expire until 2019. Laich only has this upcoming season left on his deal, so it's much easier for a team to swallow. Florida also didn't take any salary back, like Washington did in the Laich deal (Winnik).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Carrick wasn't going to make it with the Caps. It was pretty clear. Schmidt had jumped him. Bowey had jumped him.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Carrick was still playing on a higher pairing than Bowey in the AHL last season. Carrick got a 1 game call-up when injuries struck, not Bowey. So, no, Bowey did not jump Carrick.

Also Schmidt didn't "jump" him, he was already ahead of him on the depth chart and primarily plays the opposite side of the ice.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Carrick was still playing on a higher pairing than Bowey in the AHL last season. Carrick got a 1 game call-up when injuries struck, not Bowey. So, no, Bowey did not jump Carrick.

Also Schmidt didn't "jump" him, he was already ahead of him on the depth chart and primarily plays the opposite side of the ice.

No the Caps had a plan for Bowey and have said as much. They didn't play him back to backs, they let him watch games to see how plays develop. They sheltered him to teach him.

I liked Carrick but he is a small dman who may or not make it. Bowey is a 100% top four dmen in the NHL.

I wouldn't be surprised (right or wrong) if Djoos had passed Carrick on the Caps depth chart as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad