TSN's Camera-angles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ri hards

Jun 21, 2004
This isn't really a big deal, but have tsn's choice of camera angles started to annoy people other than me?

The big one is the powerplay behind-the-goalie view. I understand what they're trying to do in that it's a little more exciting for the tv-viewer to be in that position, but I find it's often hard to see the puck. Either it's too close to the boards because of the cycle, or it's being passed too fast for the cameraman to react.

I've also noticed that they're using a lot of close up shots, which means we have no idea what kind of play is developing. Also along these lines is when a player is leaving the ice. Sure it's nice to know when a key player is injured, but it's not really neccesary to show them limping off the ice, especially when the play is a scoring threat. I was watching the TSN coverage of USA vs Belarus and at least two goals were scored where we were left to watch the play in an instant replay.

Anyways, no big deal like I said before, but now I feel better.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
The only one that really bugs me is the behind the net powerplay angle you mentionned. It really adds nothing to the play except a better angle of the point shot. Then, when there's a rebound in front, which is how most pp goals are scored, the angle completely leaves you out of the action. It's quite ridiculous.

Aarex

Feb 29, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan
Personally i like this camera angle so long as the play is in the view, once the puck leaves camera view they need to be faster to switch to the traditional view.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
I love that behind the net camera angle on power plays. I hope to see more of it when the NHL returns and I think we will. Everybody I have watched a game with has commented on how they liked that new angle.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Brock said:
I also love the camera angle behind the net on the powerplay. I think it's awesome and brings you closer to the action, while being able to focus in on the shots on net.
I agree. Its really the only angle that allows you to see whats going on, while at the same time giving you an appreciation of the speed that they're playing at.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
ryz said:
I love that behind the net camera angle on power plays. I hope to see more of it when the NHL returns and I think we will. Everybody I have watched a game with has commented on how they liked that new angle.

New? I remember seeing that camera angle in NHL games in the 90's. Nothing new about it.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Cletus_the_Pig_Fetus said:
This isn't really a big deal, but have tsn's choice of camera angles started to annoy people other than me?

The big one is the powerplay behind-the-goalie view. I understand what they're trying to do in that it's a little more exciting for the tv-viewer to be in that position, but I find it's often hard to see the puck. Either it's too close to the boards because of the cycle, or it's being passed too fast for the cameraman to react.

I've also noticed that they're using a lot of close up shots, which means we have no idea what kind of play is developing. Also along these lines is when a player is leaving the ice. Sure it's nice to know when a key player is injured, but it's not really neccesary to show them limping off the ice, especially when the play is a scoring threat. I was watching the TSN coverage of USA vs Belarus and at least two goals were scored where we were left to watch the play in an instant replay.

The Regularly use that PP view

usually at home i believe

its anoying at first but you do get used to it

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
I don't think the camera angle is that bad, it's the transition from the usual view to the behind-the-net one that's jarring - you have to readjust your perspective on what the offensive team is doing with the puck, and that can mean missing the development of a good scoring chance. Maybe it'd work better if they saved it for plays that started off faceoffs inside the defensive zone, so they can either stick with it if the offensive team wins the faceoff, or can transition during the breakout, where you're probably not going to lose track of the play right before a scoring opportunity.

(And did anybody notice them going to the behind-the-net cam while both teams were at full strength near the end of the Germany game? Ouch.)

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Apparently TSN should phone up Fox and see if they have any of those glowing pucks left. This camera angle is great, and who cares about battles in tight to the boards. You can't see the puck when the battles are on the near boards in traditionial view. Watch the player with the puck and enjoy the action from ice level.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Cletus_the_Pig_Fetus said:

The same thing happened on ESPN's coverage when Bourque got injured, they kept showing a closeup of him limping when a goal was scored and nobody got to see it. :banghead:

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Count me in favour of TSN's behind the net camera...as a goalie by trade I find myself kicking out pucks through the screen...pretty sure I have got my body in front of more rubber than Montoya... :lol

I'm not much for compliments but IMO TSN is doing a bang up job of covering the 2005 World Juniors!!!

Guriken

Apr 24, 2003
Quebec, Canada
Visit site
I think this behind the net camera view is cool, I have no problem with it. It shows us how fast the plays are made, we see the great saves from close and I don't remember losing sight of the puck when they switch to this angle, or it's because i recover it fast.

Anyway, it's nice to see some special camera angles...

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
TSN's camera angles and overall broadcast are fine by me. Hockey on ABC, on the other hand, is quite trying to watch :p:

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
I like the behind the net angle. It's a good change and you can really see the play develop well.

One thing that has bothered me is the main camera. There's a bad glare coming from the ice and in other spots it's dark. I find that kind of annoying. Anyone else notice this? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad