Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
invader Zim said:
Check Out Bobs Latest Video .

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

At The End The newsguy, goes over the new schedule format.

Each team In Division 8 times

Other teams in Conference 4 times

Teams from one Division of the Other Conference 2 times.
What was it before?

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
invader Zim said:

what does this mean.. I dont want to watch the video.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Not fair for the teams in the West. Conference that don't get the crappy Eastern Divison

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
shakes said:

It's NFL style.

Atlantic vs. Atlantic Division teams, etc...

Atlantic vs. Northeast, Atlantic vs. South

Atlantic vs. West playing each team in west 2 times. So, the teams in the Atlantic would not play teams in the central until the next season. Assuming this goes as planned, it would be on a rolling basis. This year: Atlantic vs. West, Next year: Atlantic vs. Central, etc...

Reduces travel time/cost to go to the same location twice then all over the map on east/west coast trips.

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
shakes said:

Teams will go the whole season, without meeting. Vanc,Edmonton,Calgary, May Not Play Toronto,Montreal,Ottawa at all. Unless in the Finals.

But Vanc,Edmonton,Calgary, will play each other 8 times in division. Likewise Toronto,Montreal,Ottawa.

Our Rivalries have been dying. I like this change.

Brad*

kmad said:
I approve.

Rivalries grow the sport.
But on the other hand, I like seeing different teams. Oh well, I have center Ice and way too much time on my hands, so that's not a problem for me. I imagine it might be for some others though.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
invader Zim said:
Teams will go the whole season, without meeting. Vanc,Edmonton,Calgary, May Not Play Toronto,Montreal,Ottawa at all. Unless in the Finals.

But Vanc,Edmonton,Calgary, will play each other 8 times in division. Likewise Toronto,Montreal,Ottawa.

Yeh, but what does this have to do with TSN... they don't make the schedule. If they can't show it they cant show it.

Or do you mean TSN: Unbalanced Schedule

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Brad said:
But on the other hand, I like seeing different teams. Oh well, I have center Ice and way too much time on my hands, so that's not a problem for me. I imagine it might be for some others though.

I'd rather see Vancouver play Colorado, Calgary and Minnesota eight times than play each of them four times, and play a shwack of odd games against Washington, Florida, Boston, etc. I have no emotional attachment to those teams whatsoever.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
invader Zim said:

Tampa Bay verses their div 8 times = Playoffs by Mid Season and Stanley Cup Fav ..

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
The Messenger said:
Tampa Bay verses their div 8 times = Playoffs by Mid Season and Stanley Cup Fav ..

Thats The other Cool Part of an Unbalanced schedule. Best record may not be The best Team. Playoffs roll around, and it's a whole new ballgame!

Spungo*

blitzkriegs said:

Toronto vs. Montreal 8 times a year = :handclap:

Toronto vs. Ottawa 8 times a year = :handclap:

Less travel and more rested players :handclap:

More meaningfull games :handclap:

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
invader Zim said:

Wow. So we will have 82 regular season games to eliminate only 10 teams out of 30 and they won't even play every team along those 82 games. 8 games against the same teams while most of them being probably useless to gain the playoff..i am bored already just thinking about it.

And if i were a season ticket holder i would be furious to not be able to see many players not even once.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
kmad said:
I'd rather see Vancouver play Colorado, Calgary and Minnesota eight times than play each of them four times, and play a shwack of odd games against Washington, Florida, Boston, etc. I have no emotional attachment to those teams whatsoever.

I agree with everything but Minnesota. I hate watching Minnesota play hockey. It doesn't help that they usually beat the Canucks either.

Spungo*

helicecopter said:
Wow. So we will have 82 regular season games to eliminate only 10 teams out of 30 and they won't even play every team along those 82 games. 8 games against the same teams while most of them being probably useless to gain the playoff..i am bored already just thinking about it.

And if i were a season ticket holder i would be furious to not be able to see many players not even once.

Only 12 teams make the playoffs at the end of the season. Teams 7-10 from each conference play eachother in best of 3 series to *get* into the playoffs for the tradition 16 team Stanley Cup playoffs.

Edit: 16 of 21 made the playoffs in the 80's. That's 76%. 20 of 30 is only 66%.

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
Spungo said:
Only 12 teams make the playoffs at the end of the season. Teams 7-10 from each conference play eachother in best of 3 series to *get* into the playoffs for the tradition 16 team Stanley Cup playoffs.

Sure, and I think hard enough I can make pigs fly. Lying by label doesn't not mean that 7-10 aren't in the playoffs. They are in the playoffs as most people define them. The fact is this is a way to allow the top 2 seeds to get a rest before dropping an exhausted 7/8/9/10 seed.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
scaredsensfan said:
I dont mind the unbalanced schedule, but the latest, blatant cash grab by the owners to have the lightning round is a joke.
:dunno:

Fair enough, but remember that with revenue sharing, the players benefit from the added income of extra playoff games as well.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Spungo said:
:biglaugh:
20 out of 30 make it to the post-season, period. Try again, maybe on something else..

Spungo said:
And know what? It sucked even more!!

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
scaredsensfan said:
I dont mind the unbalanced schedule, but the latest, blatant cash grab by the owners to have the lightning round is a joke.
:dunno:

Is the play-off revenue shared between all teams, or was that just a proposal that fell by the wayside during negotiations?

I don't feel bad that the 7-10 teams play a "mini-series" to move on. Looking at teams like EDM that didn't make it the last couple of years - they could of given a high seed a scare just as much as NASH or CHI.

To create the rivalries, I would of gone back to the 2 divisions (Norris, Campell, etc) per conference, and the first two play-off rounds are to see which teams will play in the conference finals. That's when you create rivalries - when you beat someone down to eliminate them in the play-off's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad