TSN: The ratification vote and news conference has been set for Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
LadyStanley said:
<<< snipped >>>

Now a question is with Ovechkin's 7/20 deadline to exit his Russian contract, will he be able to play in the NHL next season? There may/will not be a deal in place until at least 7/22. (Not to mention the lack of transfer agreement.)
Per a report in the Washington Post, Meehan says Ovechkin does not have to wait until there is a ratified CBA before making his decision to "opt out" of his contract (additionally his abitration date has been pushed even further back) . . . . and per 980 (local radio station) --- Meehan and McPhee were meeting and reviewing the language of the CBA as it pertains to rookie contracts.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
I have lived in both countries. When in Canada if I am going to buy one paper per week it is on Saturday. When in the US it is on Sunday. This has to do with the content of the papers, plus the fact that I do have more time to read a paper on the weekends.

I think there will be plenty of NHL news in the weeks to come, on all days of the week. Those papers who choose to report hockey news will have no problem finding stories.

However I seem to get the majority of my news through the internet these days anyway.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
RangerBoy said:
The Saturday newspaper in the U.S. is 1/4 of the Friday newspaper and 1/10 of the Sunday paper

Why is that?

The cultural difference is spot on.

Canadian Saturday paper = U.S. Sunday paper
Canadian Sunday paper = U.S. Saturday paper

I'm talking thickness and circulation here.

Jobu can argue and rail all he wants, but I've seen this first hand, and it's common knowledge amongst delivery people (if they are the types to post on newspaper delivery message boards, that is*).

Actually... U.S. Sunday paper = 2 Canadian Saturday papers, apparently. They weigh upwards of 5-8 pounds.

*I was a carrier as a youth and also for a one-month period in my adulthood...

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
RangerBoy said:
The Saturday newspaper in the U.S. is 1/4 of the Friday newspaper and 1/10 of the Sunday paper

Why is that?

Studies have shown that the Saturday newspaper is the least read of the week. Why? First, Saturday is a pretty busy day for most people and they don't have a lot of time to sit around and read. Second, most people aren't going to work on Saturday so there's virtually no newsstand sales, nobody picking up a paper for the train ride to the office, nobody reading the paper over their lunch break, etc.
Because readership is down on Saturdays, so are ad sales. The size of the newspaper (i.e. number of pages) is determined more by ads sold than by the amount of news fit to be print. Without ads, newspapers decrease the number of pages, hence a smaller product on Saturdays.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
Studies have shown that the Saturday newspaper is the least read of the week. Why? First, Saturday is a pretty busy day for most people and they don't have a lot of time to sit around and read. Second, most people aren't going to work on Saturday so there's virtually no newsstand sales, nobody picking up a paper for the train ride to the office, nobody reading the paper over their lunch break, etc.
Because readership is down on Saturdays, so are ad sales. The size of the newspaper (i.e. number of pages) is determined more by ads sold than by the amount of news fit to be print. Without ads, newspapers decrease the number of pages, hence a smaller product on Saturdays.

In the US you mean.. as stated, in Canada this is different.

The HW

Jan 27, 2005
Dumb move by the NHL. Sure, they'll get coverage, but not what it could be. Re-introducing the sport to a continent of people with summer weekend plans...

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
The HW said:
Dumb move by the NHL. Sure, they'll get coverage, but not what it could be. Re-introducing the sport to a continent of people with summer weekend plans...
Doesn't matter. The NHL made the front pages last week. Everyone knows they're back. Whether they announce on a Friday or a Monday, they're not going to gain any fans, and they didn't gain any with the last announcement. The people that care care, and the people that don't, don't. Watching games attracts new fans, not Collective Bargaining Agreements.

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
I think the one thing being overlooked here is that the initial announcement is really, IMO, a small piece of the huge task that lies ahead for the NHL.

The immeasurable difference between having the PC on Friday versus Thursday does not matter near as much as what they do from that point till the puck drops on the 05-06 season. I think (hope) they realize this and we should see alot of marketing of the league in the coming months. That coupled with what I think will be the almost daily excitement of free agent signings, trades, and the Crosbyfest draft will do more to win back the semi-casual fan and peak the interest of some of the casual ones than the PC.

Just my 2 cents, but I think the real test is after the announcement comes and goes.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Dr Love said:
Doesn't matter. The NHL made the front pages last week. Everyone knows they're back. Whether they announce on a Friday or a Monday, they're not going to gain any fans, and they didn't gain any with the last announcement. The people that care care, and the people that don't, don't. Watching games attracts new fans, not Collective Bargaining Agreements.

Exactly! I was going through this entire thread and couldn't believe all the bickering going on about what days of the week have better news paper circulation.

All of us on this board, well most of us, will watch this Press Conference no matter what time it is or what day it is held. The Fans of this sport will be there to follow this PC when it finally goes to the public. All the hockey fans around the world will be buying a paper the next day no matter if it is on a Sunday or on a Tuesday. As for the rest of the people around the world who could careless about the NHL, I highly doubt the NHL is too concerned with them anyway. The NHL will have a Press Conference when they want, not when fans or any other people want it.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
It won't really affect me too much having to wait until friday for the PC. It may affect the GMs to a small degree considering they will have 1 less day to prepare for the draft, get RFs signed and to figure who they are going to buyout. I don't know if 1 day will affect them that much though.

The HW

Jan 27, 2005
Dr Love said:
Well, I disagree. There's no water-cooler talk on a Saturday morning. There's no talk radio worth a damn, either. The die-hards who aren't on vacation or on their way to a cottage or out of town (like me and a few others here) will tune in, sure. But they're missing out on generating hype on a day when people actually tune in to the news and get together to shoot the breeze at work. That's significant.

If they were having a ho-hum news conference, fine, but I suspect they are going to want to make a slighlty splashier deal of introducing their "new look" product and the results of a one-time-only draft lottery.

Who the hell else does that on a lousy news day? That's all.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
The HW said:
Well, I disagree. There's no water-cooler talk on a Saturday morning. There's no talk radio worth a damn, either. The die-hards who aren't on vacation or on their way to a cottage or out of town (like me and a few others here) will tune in, sure. But they're missing out on generating hype on a day when people actually tune in to the news and get together to shoot the breeze at work. That's significant.

If they were having a ho-hum news conference, fine, but I suspect they are going to want to make a slighlty splashier deal of introducing their "new look" product and the results of a one-time-only draft lottery.

Generate hype? Among whom? Hockey fans are already stoked. Non hockey fans don't care about the CBA, because they don't care about hockey. How many people that didn't watch hockey and didn't go to games before the lockout are going to go now if there is a press conference on national TV at prime time during the week complete with fireworks, a bear on a unicycle, and a monkey washing a cat? None. Because people don't become fans of a sport because a collective bargaining agreement is signed.

They become fans watching it.

The HW

Jan 27, 2005
Dr Love said:
Generate hype? Among whom? Hockey fans are already stoked. Non hockey fans don't care about the CBA, because they don't care about hockey. How many people that didn't watch hockey and didn't go to games before the lockout are going to go now if there is a press conference on national TV at prime time during the week complete with fireworks, a bear on a unicycle, and a monkey washing a cat? None. Because people don't become fans of a sport because a collective bargaining agreement is signed.

They become fans watching it.
Even a casual fan -- even a non-hockey fan but any sports fan -- would be interested in the results of the draft lottery. That's the interesting part. They'd talk about it. God knows I don't really care about the other major sports and only follow them peripherally but still talk about big NBA, NFL and MLB events because they're a point of conversation, at the office and on the radio. Jim Rome would talk about it, so would any other American-market sports-radio personality I've never heard of.

By Monday, this'll be stale news to the casual fans, and that means less awareness of what's going on in the world of hockey. If you are so convinced that "nobody new cares so why bother," I'd send an application in to the NHL's PR department.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
The HW said:
Even a casual fan -- even a non-hockey fan but any sports fan -- would be interested in the results of the draft lottery.
You're really fooling yourself if you think that.

HW said:
That's the interesting part. They'd talk about it. God knows I don't really care about the other major sports and only follow them peripherally but still talk about big NBA, NFL and MLB events because they're a point of conversation, at the office and on the radio. Jim Rome would talk about it, so would any other American-market sports-radio personality I've never heard of.
Why would they talk about the draft lottery if they don't talk abuot the draft in the first place? Again, you're fooling yourself.

HW said:
If you are so convinced that "nobody new cares so why bother," I'd send an application in to the NHL's PR department.
I didn't say nobody cares, so why bother. I said that it won't do anything because those who will care already care, and those who don't don't. Go ahead and air it, see what happens.

You do know I'm talking about America, right?

Let me put it another way:

Do you care about the WNBA draft lottery? Does it generate hype among those who don't follow the NBA? Then why would the NHL draft lottery generate hype among those who don't follow the NHL?

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
The HW said:
Even a casual fan -- even a non-hockey fan but any sports fan -- would be interested in the results of the draft lottery. That's the interesting part. They'd talk about it. God knows I don't really care about the other major sports and only follow them peripherally but still talk about big NBA, NFL and MLB events because they're a point of conversation, at the office and on the radio. Jim Rome would talk about it, so would any other American-market sports-radio personality I've never heard of.

By Monday, this'll be stale news to the casual fans, and that means less awareness of what's going on in the world of hockey. If you are so convinced that "nobody new cares so why bother," I'd send an application in to the NHL's PR department.

I do not know when the draft for NBA, NFL, or MLB is held, in what order the teams pick, or who they are picking.

To assume that a guy in Seattle cares about the NHL draft would be a tad presumptuous on my part.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
The HW said:

If they announced it at 5 on Friday, I'd agree with that.

But if they hold their PC around noon-2 est on Friday, there's still tons of the day left in regards to people being at work or talk-radio.

The announcements business people try to hide come in the late afternoon. If the NHL does that, it's a bigger marketing blunder. If it's early or in the mid-afternoon, it's not that big a deal.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds like we're getting two press conferences now - one Thursday and one Friday:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=130828&hubName=nhl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"But first thing's first. The players and owners must ratify the deal. More than 200 players will meet Wednesday evening in Toronto and resume the next morning before a vote is taken some time Thursday.

Following the players' vote, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and his right-hand man Bill Daly, the league's executive vice-president and chief legal officer, will join NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow and senior director Ted Saskin for a joint news conference in Toronto.

Then the league will have its show Friday in New York, a board of governors meeting slated to begin around noon EDT that will feature a vote on the new deal, a vote on new rule changes proposed by the newly created competition committee, as well as conducting the draft lottery. Bettman will then host another news conference afterwards announcing the results from all of the above. "

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
TonySCV said:
Then the league will have its show Friday in New York, a board of governors meeting slated to begin around noon EDT that will feature a vote on the new deal, a vote on new rule changes proposed by the newly created competition committee, as well as conducting the draft lottery. Bettman will then host another news conference afterwards announcing the results from all of the above. "
So the BOG meeting will start around noon. This meeting will include the voting on the CBA, the voting on the rule changes, and the conducting of the full draft lottery. Then they have to organize all of the results from each of these things, as well as prepare it for presentation at the press conference. Then they're going to hold the actual press conference after all of this. Does anyone see this press conference happening anytime before the very late afternoon on Friday? Great. A late afternoon Friday press conference... just perfect for maximizing attention. :shakehead They'd be better off waiting until Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->