News Article: TSN: The Defining Characteristics of a Cup Contender

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/the-defining-characteristics-of-a-cup-contender-1.689870

DISCLAIMER: I'm not necessarily saying this is the Gospel truth. I just think it can spur interesting conversation.

I was a bit surprised at the degree of higher importance on offense that the data suggests, but I think it adds at least a little credence to the, "collect playmaking centers and offensive defensemen" crowd.

At a minimum, it's definitely more fun to watch a team with great puck possession (and typically shot generation) numbers.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It makes sense. Good teams generate shots and don't hang their goalies out to dry.

At the core, you need players that can drive the play. Guys who are able to beat their opponents man to man and create scoring chances. Think Joe Thornton, Crosby, Ovechkin. Guys like that are consistent weapons. On the blueline, it helps to have equally talented puck movers to generate sustained offense. Burns, Letang, and Niskanen (and now Shattenkirk) compliment the above trio.

During the recent strongest years for the Wings, it was gamebreaking plays from Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom that could fuel consistent offense. They gave nothing and took everything. Watching the Chicago Cup teams heralds back to that with their trio of Kane, Toews, and Keith. All drive the play and consistently put their opponents on defense.

The Wings need to find those centers and defenders, again. Until they do, it's going to be an uphill battle.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/the-defining-characteristics-of-a-cup-contender-1.689870

DISCLAIMER: I'm not necessarily saying this is the Gospel truth. I just think it can spur interesting conversation.

I was a bit surprised at the degree of higher importance on offense that the data suggests, but I think it adds at least a little credence to the, "collect playmaking centers and offensive defensemen" crowd.

At a minimum, it's definitely more fun to watch a team with great puck possession (and typically shot generation) numbers.

Offensive defenseman... what are those?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad