TSN - tambelini wants bertuzzi on team canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I think this is a great idea for the following reasons:

1) it has proven to be a very successfull plan - use big slow tough guys to beat the europeans on big ice surfaces

2) bert is well rested. He hasn't played a game or practiced in over a year

3) I am completely convinced that he will change his ways and will not take any untimely penalties. The refs won't be paying any special attention to him.

4) The whole idea of a 'team" concept is grossly over-rated. Bert will fit in just fine with the guys, especially if Sakic and Blake agree to play. I can just see Blake giving Bert an "aw-shucks" grin when they are on the ice together.

5) the "team" needs distractions when playing tournaments. All the questions about Bert will be a welcome relief after a few weeks.

Yep, Tambelini is off to a great start. What a profoundly intelligent move on his part.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Mr Sakich said:

1) it has proven to be a very successfull plan - use big slow tough guys to beat the europeans on big ice surfaces

3) I am completely convinced that he will change his ways and will not take any untimely penalties. The refs won't be paying any special attention to him.

4) The whole idea of a 'team" concept is grossly over-rated. Bert will fit in just fine with the guys, especially if Sakic and Blake agree to play. I can just see Blake giving Bert an "aw-shucks" grin when they are on the ice together.

5) the "team" needs distractions when playing tournaments. All the questions about Bert will be a welcome relief after a few weeks.

Yep, Tambelini is off to a great start. What a profoundly intelligent move on his part.

:lol: Awesome post.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Mr Sakich said:

Although I disagree with your reasoning, I say it's a great idea.

To me it has nothing to do with his issues, it has everything to do with being one of the best wingers Canada has.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Dumb rumour.
What does Bettman have to gain by ending Bertuzzi's suspension. Does the NHL see ANY benefit from IIHF games? Of course not. Why the hell would Bettman want to endure all of the "he should have sat for more than a year" abuse.
Bertuzzi will not be reinstated until there is an opportunity for the NHL to get gate revenues from him hitting the ice. Nice of Tamby to try to prod Bettman, but he knows that Bert won't be playing, and probably shouldn't until he proves his conditioning is up to snuff.

bigjfnd

Apr 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
I don't understand why they wouldn't let Bertuzzi play. Suter (I think it was him) was allowed to play in the 98 Olympics while he was suspended by the NHL for crosschecking Kariya in the face. I know Bertuzzi's suspended indefinately, but Suter was under suspension when the olympics took place. Bottom line is both guys weren't eligible to play in the NHL, and I assume the US didn't have that much of a problems getting Suter to play.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
bigjfnd said:
I don't understand why they wouldn't let Bertuzzi play. Suter (I think it was him) was allowed to play in the 98 Olympics while he was suspended by the NHL for crosschecking Kariya in the face. I know Bertuzzi's suspended indefinately, but Suter was under suspension when the olympics took place. Bottom line is both guys weren't eligible to play in the NHL, and I assume the US didn't have that much of a problems getting Suter to play.
I don't think the Olympics are overlooked by the IIHF which is the body responsible for upholding the suspension internationally

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
GregStack said:
To me it has nothing to do with his issues, it has everything to do with being one of the best wingers Canada has.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. Just to have him in front of the net on the Powerplay makes him worthy of a selection on this team. I hope he is granted permission.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Where's the outrage over Perezoghin being name to Russia's preliminary team? There's a real double standard here.

bigjfnd

Apr 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Macman said:
Where's the outrage over Perezoghin being name to Russia's preliminary team?

I agree. Not to condone what Bertuzzi did, but I really think most of the damage to Moore was done from everyone piling on top of them. But swinging a stick like a baseball bat at someone's head is, to me anyway, worse than what Bertuzzi did (again, not that what Bertuzzi did was ok by any stretch). Maybe the fact that Bertuzzi would likely have more of an impact (no pun intended) has something to do with it.

MykeAbner

Feb 2, 2005
bigjfnd said:
I agree. Not to condone what Bertuzzi did, but I really think most of the damage to Moore was done from everyone piling on top of them. But swinging a stick like a baseball bat at someone's head is, to me anyway, worse than what Bertuzzi did (again, not that what Bertuzzi did was ok by any stretch). Maybe the fact that Bertuzzi would likely have more of an impact (no pun intended) has something to do with it.

The media doesn't care Perezoghin or Hatcher, so neither do a lot of people here. Frankly, logic is useless in a Trial by Media.

For the people that are going to get offended by this post, just keep thinking that you know more about hockey than Tambelini or Brodeur. It is quite amusing.

Last edited by a moderator:

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Mr Sakich said:

:yo:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Now this is downright brilliant. :sarcasm:

Mr Sakich said:

Firstly, Bertuzzi is not particularly slow for his size, I wouldn't put him that far behind guys like Thornton and Nash as far as footspeed is concerned. I don't see you picking on the other bigger players...oh wait, your opinion has nothing to do with hockey really, see that makes more sense.

Well I am not going to go searching about for any documentation I have to assume he is not the only player who has been relatively inactive since the off-season started oh so long ago. But I will admit this is a realistic concern that more level-headed and objective hockey fans might share.

Again, I do not see you complaining about the Thornton selection due to his propensity to take bad penalties. Good game bias.

I like this one, especially since NO COLORADO PLAYERS have been put on the final roster for the team. So...so much for that. PS - This may or may not be due to some bias Tambellini is carrying around with him. Stay tuned! :sarcasm:

I think I'll take Brodeur's opinion on the issue over yours, since he has been in the dressing room for more then a few international tournaments...and won. His endorsement of Bertuzzi for the tournament should be all you need from a player perspective since he and Smyth have been labelled the 'Team Leaders' (by TSN).

:shakehead

My points are in bold. I find this post and the subsequent responses ridiculous. It is sympomatic of the foolish frenzy the media has created around this incident.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
While I agree there are a million and one potential concerns about Bertuzzi's playing condition for the WHC(his inactivity over the last year being a major one), I think people labelling him as a "big, slow, thug" are being just a little silly. This is a multi-time All-Star who has played for Canada at the Worlds in the past, he was a almost a guranteed lock for the World Cup Team before the suspension, and he's commonly referred to by other Canadian team stalwarts(Martin Brodeur and Ryan Smyth anyone?) as a great player.

I'll take the words of those guys over a few griping fans any day of the week.

~Canucklehead~

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
fredez said:
What the hell are you referring to? Before trying to start rumors about somebody, bring some proofs or something
wasn't it Thornton who assulted a police officer outside of a club in Ontario? I'm not sure where, but I believe it was a couple summers ago....and I BELIEVE that is what they are referring to....

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Canadian Chris said:
wasn't it Thornton who assulted a police officer outside of a club in Ontario? I'm not sure where, but I believe it was a couple summers ago....and I BELIEVE that is what they are referring to....

But he's (FreshBrew) talking about Theodore, no?

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
canucklehead17 said:
While I agree there are a million and one potential concerns about Bertuzzi's playing condition for the WHC(his inactivity over the last year being a major one), I think people labelling him as a "big, slow, thug" are being just a little silly. This is a multi-time All-Star who has played for Canada at the Worlds in the past, he was a almost a guranteed lock for the World Cup Team before the suspension, and he's commonly referred to by other Canadian team stalwarts(Martin Brodeur and Ryan Smyth anyone?) as a great player.

I'll take the words of those guys over a few griping fans any day of the week.

~Canucklehead~
how is Brodeur a stalwart? He has represented canada like twice in 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad