TSN Sportscentre - talks to resume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
You know, when Bettman made the announcement on Wednesday, I was truly saddened, but somewhat relieved. I remember the late nights we had here a few weeks ago, and I was happy those were over... but apparently not.

I'm getting the feeling that many people have their hopes up. I certainly do hope that this time the NHL/NHLPA don't let us down. Hockey fans deserve better, and they better have realized that.

WhalerBoy

Jul 22, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
One name I have heard as a protagnoist is Shane Doan. He was already a fave of mine, he has just begun to take on Sittler/Franics-like status in my eyes!!!

And is Gretzky and/or Lemieux really a big part of this? I just dont see it in these guys when they talk, but i could be wrong. They may be the 2 best players of the last 30 years, but I dont know that they are business leaders. If so, more respect.

Either way, whoever gets this done has my admiration for cutting through all the BS and making it happen!

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
If Wayne Gretzky indeed saves the season, he will officially be annointed the Messiah of Canada. Everything that he touches turns into gold.

The night before the cancellation, I just thought it couldn't be possible that the two sides could come that close and not have a deal, especially with the power of Gretzky and Lemieux behind the talks.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Man if Gretzky is the one behind this he could run for Prime Minister and vow to take away health care and still win the election by a land slide

BB

Nov 16, 2003
Bahrain
Visit site
I hope they can come to a decision. I just want it to be over so that i can get back to a normal life. I mean sure the NHL has allowed my grades to go up, but my life soo much more boring...So come on get this agreement signed, sealed and delivered and let me spend more time watching hockey and less time working my papers. :teach:

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
Tricolore#20 said:
You know, when Bettman made the announcement on Wednesday, I was truly saddened, but somewhat relieved. I remember the late nights we had here a few weeks ago, and I was happy those were over... but apparently not.

I'm getting the feeling that many people have their hopes up. I certainly do hope that this time the NHL/NHLPA don't let us down. Hockey fans deserve better, and they better have realized that.

You make a good point and I believe that this deal is basically worked out in principle but there may still be some smaller issues that need to be addressed. They wouldn't get together if both sides weren't reasonably sure that the deal was made. Besides, the PA needs to be in NY for the PC, right?

Phil333

Dec 26, 2003
New York City
drbill28 said:
ESPNNews is reporting as a the NHL and union meeting taking place tonight and that the parties are on their way now.

It's already 7EST. We probably won't here anything till tomorrow anyway. But this is great news.

Talk about the crazy publicity the sport will get.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Phil333 said:
It's already 7EST. We probably won't here anything till tomorrow anyway. But this is great news.

Talk about the crazy publicity the sport will get.

I think it would be bad press actually, in the States. On ESPN radio, so many of the hosts cut up hockey like nothing. You can bet that if the NHL says a season is on, those radio hosts would spread the message that NHL is bush league, arising from the terrible PR decisions.

But personally I could really care less about that. We need hockey in Canada, even at the expense of terrible PR.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
Tricolore#20 said:
I think it would be bad press actually, in the States. On ESPN radio, so many of the hosts cut up hockey like nothing. You can bet that if the NHL says a season is on, those radio hosts would spread the message that NHL is bush league, arising from the terrible PR decisions.

But personally I could really care less about that. We need hockey in Canada, even at the expense of terrible PR.

There is no doubt that turning the train around will lead to a lot of heckling from a lot of the idiots on sports talk radio here in the U.S. But - that's fine - they are going to rip the sport anyway. If we get a cba - I will be delighted.

ResidentAlien*

barnburner said:
There is no doubt that turning the train around will lead to a lot of heckling from a lot of the idiots on sports talk radio here in the U.S. But - that's fine - they are going to rip the sport anyway. If we get a cba - I will be delighted.

I can hear Jim.....pause pause....Rome now,,,idiot.

I think there is another reason worth mentioning why it is important to have a season this year, regardless of anything the press might say.
People seem to forget about all the little people and small business owners this affects, what about them?
Putting a season back on, however short, could quite likely save their butts.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
There is not much doubt in my mind that they will come to an agreement either tomorrow or Sunday. All signs point to it, unless something major happens to prevent it this is going through.

officeglen

Oct 6, 2002
Eastern Ontario
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:

PR could be great if spun correctly. I would highlite Mario regardless of whether he was key in making a deal or not > combination of small-revenue-team owner/super-star player > make him the hero (not Bettman/Goodenow/Eklund etc.): "the man who saved hockey" - get him on the covers of SI (swimsuit issue), Time, People (Brad/Jen back pages please), Cosmo, Fortune, Playboy etc. (okay, maybe not the covers and not all of these magazines), get him on Letterman, Leno, Larry King, Regis & a Woman, the View, the Rear View, the Late Late Show, The Really Late Late Show, the I should be sleeping now show etc. Storyline = we thought the season was dead, and one man, one hero, could see things from both sides, poor owner and player who wanted to play, gave us CPR (cba pulse resusitation) and saved our billions of baby dollars. Of course keep Mario off radio shows with mad dogs.

SENSfreak_03

Aug 30, 2002
Regina, SK
Visit site
PR can be a good thing. if this gets done, and if the player revolt is behind it like believed, then the players could be seen as hero's, and just bob goodenow as the goat. that could go along way in healing the wounds of the fans. reversely, certain owners could look like hero's, leaving bettman maybe in a dark light?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
DownFromNJ said:
I don't think Bob McKenzie has been wrong for awhile.

He's also been very pessimistic but now thinks a deal will be done.

Please...
I said something similar in a thread on the Pens board when the season was cancelled. I was expecting cancellation all season, though the day before I had hope with the way things developed, but changed heart when I read Bob McKenzie wasn't optimistic. Now, I've changed heart again, I'm starting to believe that NHL hockey may hit the ice this season. The moral? Stick with McKenzie and 99 times out of 100, you'll be proven right.

And I'm not just saying that because he posts here.
:snide:

Last edited:

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
i didnt think you could un-cancel something as big as a PRO LEAGUE!

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
SENSfreak_03 said:
PR can be a good thing. if this gets done, and if the player revolt is behind it like believed, then the players could be seen as hero's, and just bob goodenow as the goat. that could go along way in healing the wounds of the fans. reversely, certain owners could look like hero's, leaving bettman maybe in a dark light?

If a settlement is reached and it includes a cap in the 45M range, why would it leave Bettman 'in a dark light'? Bettman left the door open to just this sort of thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad