TSN Reports Entry Draft Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanny MacDonald*

The Messenger said:
Apparently the president of the QMJHL disagrees with you .. He says NO NHL .. Crosby needs to play in the Q and NO AHL for him ..

And the president of a junior league, especially one with a credability issue, has never been wrong in what he has said? :shakehead

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The Messenger said:
Apparently the president of the QMJHL disagrees with you .. He says NO NHL .. Crosby needs to play in the Q and NO AHL for him ..

That's an irrelevant issue. The Q president is claiming that Crosby's contact precludes him from playing elsewhere in absence of a transfer agreement. It's quite possible he can get out of that and play where ever he wants.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
TSN is reporting the Draft iscanceled eh? Well a few weeks ago I remember the media also reporting that an agreement in priciple had been reached. I won't believe anything anymore until I hear Bettman cancel the Draft.

Twice.

Erngueva

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
About Crosby and QMHJL, i heard few time ago Labonte (Rimouski GM) saying he will not try to stop Crosby if he wants to go play elsewhere.

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
jericholic19 said:
i have no doubt the...bruins are [a] team to turn their back on the other owners and try to sign [Crosby]....The bruins just want to look good.

:lol:
I laughed, then I cried, then I smiled. Then I laughed again. God, that would be the day.

SedinFan*

If Crosby's a free agent, look for Montreal to sign him, and Crosby gladly accepting.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
The Messenger said:
While that would certainly be his first Choice ... Would money be an issue ??

not with crosby. any team would pay what he wants. instant boost in attendance and merchandise.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Read the article.

The draft won't be cancelled, the "event" will be. Meaning, they'll still hold the draft behind closed doors.

That's all.

MontrealCruiser_83*

Zack Attack said:
If Crosby's a free agent, look for Montreal to sign him, and Crosby gladly accepting.
Yeah. Hes stated several times that his dream would be to don the "bleu, blanc, et rouge".

Mat

IMO this is just a scare tactic by the owners to make it look like they are gearing up to go the replacement path and arent gonna be lead by the draft as a deadline to crack. just watch, the draft will be uncancelled just like the season almost was.

cuz seriously here ppl, why does the nhl suddenly give a damn about hotel reservations? its not hard to do a draft

Mat

The Messenger said:

crosbys rights can be bought for the right price

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
The Messenger said:

Living in the province, I can tell you that Gilles Courteau is a moron. Trying to keep Crosby would be so bad to the league. Imagine a good player who got a choice between the Q & U.S after seeing Courteau blocking Crosby to go pro.

It could backfire right at him.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Russian Fan said:
Living in the province, I can tell you that Gilles Courteau is a moron. Trying to keep Crosby would be so bad to the league. Imagine a good player who got a choice between the Q & U.S after seeing Courteau blocking Crosby to go pro.

College recruiters would parachute into Quebec.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Russian Fan said:

rangers or kings - the league needs it -

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
mr gib said:
rangers or kings - the league needs it -

The Rangers need more stars? Their entire line up was stars. Screw that. A lesser market needs him, NYR will thrive without him.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
me2 said:
The Rangers need more stars? Their entire line up was stars. Screw that. A lesser market needs him, NYR will thrive without him.
His potential to draw revenue will be stifled in a smaller market. He needs to go to a team that will generate maximum revenue yields. Crosby in Carolina is not good for the league.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Epsilon said:
I'm sure some lawyer could cook up an argument and present it in court. I personally don't see how it could work, but stranger things have happened. However, the Maurice Clarett case seemingly sets the precedent that collectively bargained draft conditions cannot be challenged.

You are correct, and whats the talk in the NBA, putting in a age limit. Everyone was waiting for the NFL age limit to be tested in court. Although in the NHL and MLB it's not needed as much as in the NFL and NBA.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Poochie_D said:
and leaf fans wonder why we hate them...

Because someone writes an article, doesnt mean we all think like that person or share his beliefs.

My personal opinion on his chances of comming to Toronto?

:thumbd: Slim to none.

But dont get me wrong, I hope he does.

EDIT: I actually read the article. This isn't speculation at all... It's just dreaming.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Zack Attack said:

that would be probably the worst thing in sports history. the worst. :dunce:

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
bleedgreen said:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp;jsessionid=PKAMDNJLJOGE?content=20050323_182442_5636

whoa! slow down everybody and actually read the article. it doesnt say the draft is being cancelled - it says its going to happen in a different form. the event in ottawa is cancelled, not the draft itself. the article talks about maybe the draft being done electronicly or something. sounds like they didnt want to deal with the nightmare of hotel rooms needing to be reserved and whatnot anymore.

again, DRAFT NOT CANCELLED.

NHL would never hold this draft not on live tv in front of a major audience...not this year with crosby

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
go kim johnsson said:
No where does it say when the NHL draft has to be. If the NHL wants to they can re-schedule it to whenever they need to.

IN the old CBA it was specified as a June date picked by the Commissioner. But as you indicate who's to say that isn't changed in a new CBA?

This is only a cancellation of that June date and NOT the draft. Both Daly and Bettman have said on prior occassions that there will be a draft though it won't happen before a new CBA and it need not happen in June (which is a date in the old CBA). THis isn't a big deal. They just didn't want to commit themselves and the kids to some grand event that ends up not happening because there is no CBA...talk about bad press!!

It also sends a message to the PA that if they think that the draft in June is a pressure point they are sadly mistaken (once again).

What would be nice is to see a new CBA in place in August (whether with the PA or imposed) and then have a huge re-launching of the league complete with a draft weekend, free agent signings rolled into one big news week, and new rules (with demonstrations).

leafaholix*

Poochie_D said:
and leaf fans wonder why we hate them...
Leaf fans don't give a rats ass if you hate us.

Your ignorance is based on something we can't control. The media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->