TSN Reports Entry Draft Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munchausen

I think the NHL didn't want to have the PA use this as leverage for the remainder of the negotiations.

But now let the speculation begin on what is going to happen with Crosby this summer. Uncharted territories.

Best solution, put back the draft at 19yo, if not 20yo. Best opportunity to do it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Munchausen said:
I think the NHL didn't want to have the PA use this as leverage for the remainder of the negotiations.

But now let the speculation begin on what is going to happen with Crosby this summer. Uncharted territories.

Best solution, put back the draft at 19yo, if not 20yo. Best opportunity to do it.

Then you'll have all kinds of lawsuits from all the 18yo's who were eligible this year. With a relatively deep draft class, is not the way the NHL wants to go.

No where does it say when the NHL draft has to be. If the NHL wants to they can re-schedule it to whenever they need to.

RR1107

Mar 30, 2004
IMO, if there is hockey next season, then before that season, there will be a draft assembled very quickly. If there is no season, I would think/hope that there would be a "superdraft" before the next season begins with all draft eligible players from any skipped drafts included. As a side note, that would make for a heck of a quick infusion of talent if replacement players are used in say the 06-07 season if there was no 05/06 season :D

X0ssbar

Munchausen said:

Yep good call and from an NHL standpoint its prolly a good move. While the draft is important, its not as important as staying the course and getting a deal that's right for the league and they are removing any obstacle (read: perceived leverage - draft, season, etc) that may stand in their way piece by piece.

Moving the draft age back might very well be the NHL's exit plan in terms of the draft.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Munchausen said:

Did Bob Goodenow agree to that???? .. I missed that press conference !!!

The entry draft is a part of the Collective bargaining agreement (CBA)..

Lanny MacDonald*

Munchausen said:
But now let the speculation begin on what is going to happen with Crosby this summer.

That's a non-issue. Until a new CBA is hammered out no teams can sign players to NHL contracts nor make a claim on NHL player rights. Once the CBA is hammered out the NHL will have a draft prior to the begining of business. This has been a contingency in place for a long time. The hope was to not have to cancel the entry draft and cause economic harm to the market where the draft is being held (Ottawa IIRC). Crosby will be raffled off before the first contract is signed under the new CBA.

Munchausen

go kim johnsson said:
Then you'll have all kinds of lawsuits from all the 18yo's who were eligible this year. With a relatively deep draft class, is not the way the NHL wants to go.

No where does it say when the NHL draft has to be. If the NHL wants to they can re-schedule it to whenever they need to.

lawsuits? If the new CBA decretes the draft year is now at 19yo, it is now at 19yo, period. On what basis would the players sue the NHL?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Iconoclast said:
That's a non-issue. Until a new CBA is hammered out no teams can sign players to NHL contracts nor make a claim on NHL player rights. Once the CBA is hammered out the NHL will have a draft prior to the begining of business. This has been a contingency in place for a long time. The hope was to not have to cancel the entry draft and cause economic harm to the market where the draft is being held (Ottawa IIRC). Crosby will be raffled off before the first contract is signed under the new CBA.
Could Crosby Land in T.O.?

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2005/03/23/969639-sun.html

Didn't take long for the speculation to come out ..

Munchausen

The Iconoclast said:

I was referring to Crosby's options outside the NHL and the little controversy in Quebec that started when Gilles Courteau, QJMHL's commissioner, said Crosby was bound by contract to the league until he's drafted by an NHL team. Crosby might dispute this and try to play in Europe or elsewhere.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Munchausen said:
lawsuits? If the new CBA decretes the draft year is now at 19yo, it is now at 19yo, period. On what basis would the players sue the NHL?

I'm sure some lawyer could cook up an argument and present it in court. I personally don't see how it could work, but stranger things have happened. However, the Maurice Clarett case seemingly sets the precedent that collectively bargained draft conditions cannot be challenged.

Lanny MacDonald*

Munchausen said:
I was referring to Crosby's options outside the NHL and the little controversy in Quebec that started when Gilles Courteau, QJMHL's commissioner, said Crosby was bound by contract to the league until he's drafted by an NHL team. Crosby might dispute this and try to play in Europe or elsewhere.

Ah, okay, I see what you mean. That's something up to Crosby and completely beyond the scope of things right now IMO. Most important is to get the CBA hammered out an then worry about the players coming into the league.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Munchausen said:
Ironically the WHA was around the last time this Age issue you came up when the WHA stole the best young players not yet of draft age for the NHL .. In 1979-80 when the merger with the WHA happened .. The NHL changed its then Amateur to the Entry draft to allow for younger players to avoid that issue ..

They say history has a way of repeating itself .. So I guess Crosby off to the WHA like Gretzky before him could be on the near horizon ..

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Munchausen said:

That may not matter. 18 YOs are potentially entitled to become free agents in the USA. If crosby becomes a FA, i have no doubt the leafs and bruins are the two most likely teams to turn their back on the other owners and try to sign him. The leafs will try to buy their way to a stanley cup while the bruins just want to look good.

Lanny MacDonald*

The Messenger said:
Ironically the WHA was around the last time this Age issue you came up when the WHA stole the best young players not yet of draft age for the NHL .. In 1979-80 when the merger with the WHA happened .. The NHL changed its then Amateur to the Entry draft to allow for younger players to avoid that issue ..

They say history has a way of repeating itself .. So I guess Crosby off to the WHA like Gretzky before him could be on the near horizon ..

Doesn't there have to be a WHA before anyone has to worry about that? :lol

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Munchausen said:
I think the NHL might be emboldened by the NFL smacking down Maurice Clarret last year.

Munchausen

jericholic19 said:
That may not matter. 18 YOs are potentially entitled to become free agents in the USA. If crosby becomes a FA, i have no doubt the leafs and bruins are the two most likely teams to turn their back on the other owners and try to sign him. The leafs will try to buy their way to a stanley cup while the bruins just want to look good.

There's no NHL to play in right now. I'm sure the league wouldn't allow a team to just sign Crosby. There will eventually be a draft and Crosby will eventually be drafted, only a matter of when.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp;jsessionid=PKAMDNJLJOGE?content=20050323_182442_5636

whoa! slow down everybody and actually read the article. it doesnt say the draft is being cancelled - it says its going to happen in a different form. the event in ottawa is cancelled, not the draft itself. the article talks about maybe the draft being done electronicly or something. sounds like they didnt want to deal with the nightmare of hotel rooms needing to be reserved and whatnot anymore.

again, DRAFT NOT CANCELLED.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
bleedgreen said:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp;jsessionid=PKAMDNJLJOGE?content=20050323_182442_5636

whoa! slow down everybody and actually read the article. it doesnt say the draft is being cancelled - it says its going to happen in a different form. the event in ottawa is cancelled, not the draft itself. the article talks about maybe the draft being done electronicly or something. sounds like they didnt want to deal with the nightmare of hotel rooms needing to reserved and whatnot anymore.

Should I have not drank the Hemlock? :(

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Munchausen said:
There's no NHL to play in right now. I'm sure the league wouldn't allow a team to just sign Crosby. There will eventually be a draft and Crosby will eventually be drafted, only a matter of when.
Unless this years draft class explores their options in court and are ruled UFA's if the draft is officially cancelled .. If Crosby wants to play in the AHL next season he is going to need the favourable ruling to earn a living otherwise the agreement between the NHL and CHL will not allow an 18 year old in the AHL ..

Munchausen

bleedgreen said:

whoa! slow down everybody and actually read the article. it doesnt say the draft is being cancelled - it says its going to happen in a different form. the event in ottawa is cancelled, not the draft itself. the article talks about maybe the draft being done electronicly or something. sounds like they didnt want to deal with the nightmare of hotel rooms needing to be reserved and whatnot anymore.

Sportsnet first reported the draft was about to be cancelled without specifications about it being held in a different form. We'll know more tomorrow.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The Messenger said:
Unless this years draft class explores their options in court and are ruled UFA's if the draft is officially cancelled .. If Crosby wants to play in the AHL next season he is going to need the favourable ruling to earn a living otherwise the agreement between the NHL and CHL will not allow an 18 year old in the AHL ..

The agreement between the NHL and CHL means nothing in the absence of the CBA. The NHL does not run the AHL, and has no control over what Crosby does.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Epsilon said:
The agreement between the NHL and CHL means nothing in the absence of the CBA. The NHL does not run the AHL, and has no control over what Crosby does.
Apparently the president of the QMJHL disagrees with you .. He says NO NHL .. Crosby needs to play in the Q and NO AHL for him ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->