TSN Reporting hard/soft cap of 42 Mil rejected by PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
nomorekids said:
that quote is legit, as it's included in yahoo's report, which came directly from an email sent from daly to the AP. daly goes on to say that whatever plans for a meeting tomorrow have been scrapped :shakehead

Nice email- gets your hopes up and dashed, all in a couple of sentences. :cry:

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
CarlRacki said:
While I'm disappointed the owners didn't show a little more creativity here, there were concessions in this.
-- A $42 million cap ensures players up to 60 percent of stated revenues, up from 54 percent in previous offer. NBA players get about 57 percent.
-- At a $42 million cap, the average player salary is $1.75 million, up from $1.6 million in the previous offer. The current average salary is about $1.8 million
whats the floor ? your calculations assume each team spends the max, right ?

i dunno, id be fine with a compromise of a lower floor (22m) and a higher ceiling (42m), with a luxury tax that allows for a payroll up to 48 or 50m.

dr

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Phaneuf said:
Lets hack this site I'm sure some dumb player has an easy password. :lol:

Try their family members (particulary children's) names or birthdates

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
While I'm disappointed the owners didn't show a little more creativity here, there were concessions in this.
-- A $42 million cap ensures players up to 60 percent of stated revenues, up from 54 percent in previous offer. NBA players get about 57 percent.
-- At a $42 million cap, the average player salary is $1.75 million, up from $1.6 million in the previous offer. The current average salary is about $1.8 million

I never liked when people talked about the average salary. This is one of the most misguide information to get the fans on the owner's side.

Yes it's true the average salary is 1,8M$ but the median salary is around 900K$

That's mean you remove the 14 players at 6M$ + & you get close to 1M$.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
DR said:

i dunno, id be fine with a compromise of a lower floor (22m) and a higher ceiling (42m), with a luxury tax that allows for a payroll up to 48 or 50m.

dr

Correct, which is why I wrote "up to" 60 percent of revenues. I probably should have been as clear regarding the average salaries.

I can't see why the PA would want a lower floor. In it's December CBA proposal, the league pledged to do enough revenue sharing so that every team could meet the $34.5 million floor. Seems to me that's a good thing for the players.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Russian Fan said:
I never liked when people talked about the average salary. This is one of the most misguide information to get the fans on the owner's side.

Yes it's true the average salary is 1,8M$ but the median salary is around 900K$

That's mean you remove the 14 players at 6M$ + & you get close to 1M$.

That's fine, but it's also impossible at this moment to determine median salaries. That can't be done until we see how the salaries will shake out under the new system. So, for now average salary is the best we've got.
Regardless, if the cap number goes up, so should median salaries.

FYI, there are 26 players at $6 million or more.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
That's fine, but it's also impossible at this moment to determine median salaries. That can't be done until we see how the salaries will shake out under the new system. So, for now average salary is the best we've got.
Regardless, if the cap number goes up, so should median salaries.

FYI, there are 26 players at $6 million or more.

Well I have the 2003-04 Full salary and here it is

Adam Munro was the least paid player in the NHL at 200,000$
Peter Forsberg & JAromir JAgr was the highest paid at 11,000,000$

779 players are in that list & the average is $1,745,179,97
player at the median is #390 is paid $1,050,000$

Players over 5M$ : 54 (37 over 6M$)
Players between 3M$ to 4,999,999$ : 80
Players between 2M$ to 2,999,999$ : 86
Players between 1,5M$ to 1,999,999$ : 65
Players between 1M$ to 1,499,999$ : 131
Players between 500K to 999,999$ : 242
Players between 200K to 499,999$ : 121

-----------------------------------------------------
My opinion is that I will never be bothered about the top 50 getting 5M$+ , they are the stars & we shouldn't be envious about that.

The problem I always had is the players between 2M$ to 4,999,999$ (166 players) which are marginal players or they had 1 good season & got the big payday.

when on 779 players, 494 players are making less than 1,5M$ (363 of them are not millionaire) that's why the average salary are just a P.R move by the owners to give the perception that MOST PLAYERS are getting close than 1,8M$ & putting the average salary @ 1,3M$ they all will be rich.

The next system that should be in place should be to restrain the salary of those 2nd line & since 2-3 years the ''super'' 3rd line players (John Madden, Kris Madden) getting close to 3M$ per year.

Just my thought.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
DR said:

dr

I think the owners in the end would as well but they want the players to counter with such an offer as it would essentially be the NHL proposed framework. But I don't think you'll see the owners propose that. They are going to keep the proposals as hard caps and get the players to bargain for the other concessions. Get the players to cross that "philisophical divide". If the owners come back with a a soft/hard cap mix it just weakens their bargaining position which I don't think they'll do being in the drivers seat. It's pretty clear to me that the NHL has moved considerably within the cost certainty framework. Their is negotiation room

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
tantalum said:
It's pretty clear to me that the NHL has moved considerably within the cost certainty framework. Their is negotiation room

The NHL has moved no where. They went from offering a $31M cap to a $42M cap. That's not moving, that's not making concessions, that's beating a square peg into a round hole.

The owners make a meaningful, creative offer when they consider a soft cap.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
The NHL has moved no where. They went from offering a $31M cap to a $42M cap. That's not moving, that's not making concessions, that's beating a square peg into a round hole.

They have increased their offer by more than 33%, I'd say that's pretty considerable concession.

Anyway, whether league has moved or not is irrelevant considering that NHLPA hasn't made a single meaningful offer in the first place.

Lanny MacDonald*

leafs4thecup said:
You're of the philosophy that because the NHL employs the players, the players should agree to anything the league tables? Why can't the League curb their own spending?

Collusion. Next question?

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Pepper said:
They have increased their offer by more than 33%, I'd say that's pretty considerable concession.

Anyway, whether league has moved or not is irrelevant considering that NHLPA hasn't made a single meaningful offer in the first place.

NOt to mention they have also brought in a salary floor idea which would get rid of low payrolls. It is very significant movement within the framework they proposed. The players have shown some movement within their framework though engineered in such a way as to gain everything back within 3 years IMO. BUt the end result is neither side has made the step to the other framework. And why would it be the owners who need to do this? They have offered a framework for a hurting league that resembles other leagues (or would if the NHLPA negotiated it).

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
like i said in another post, i think we have to consider the other factors in a new deal besides just the idea of a cap or not

free agency, arbitration, rookie contracts, etc. the league could offer a nice looking deal to the players on the surface but one that ultimately screws the players in the end, so they won't take it. then everyone screams they rejected a good proposal when they've only looked at the salary cap part of it. and vice versa with the players

Lanny MacDonald*

go kim johnsson said:

That's nothing? Well, give me a steam bowl of nothing then. $11 million in salary cap is nothing? The things that flow from the pro-PA side of this argument are unbelievable.

:shakehead

Okay, here's you soft cap. $25 million base. $35 million soft cap with a dollar for tax up to an including $40 million. Anything over that incures a 5:1 penalty and forfeiture of team draft picks in rounds 1 thru 4.

There's your soft cap, and its really creative. We have a deal?

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Levitate said:
like i said in another post, i think we have to consider the other factors in a new deal besides just the idea of a cap or not

free agency, arbitration, rookie contracts, etc. the league could offer a nice looking deal to the players on the surface but one that ultimately screws the players in the end, so they won't take it. then everyone screams they rejected a good proposal when they've only looked at the salary cap part of it. and vice versa with the players

I agree but in the end the reason the PA is giving is that they want nothing to do with the system. They are not willing to negotiate within the system. If they do and in the end don't feel the concessions on those other things are good enough fine reject it and give reasons why. But right now it isn't these other things they are rejecting.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
actually we don't know that at all, we don't know what either side is rejecting for sure

we get the media posturing but have no real idea what's going on. that frustrates me too, that the fans are ultimately kept in the dark about this all.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Levitate said:
actually we don't know that at all, we don't know what either side is rejecting for sure

we get the media posturing but have no real idea what's going on. that frustrates me too, that the fans are ultimately kept in the dark about this all.

I'm taking it from what the PA has said directly and consistently, as well as from their actions in rejecting the first offer within a couple of hours. They want nothing to do with a cap system or anything that ties salaries to revenues. Could it be a smokecreen? Sure but I don't think that for this major issue it is.

Brent Burns Beard