TSN play-off TV ratings?

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Either it was so long ago or I didn't care ;) but I don't remember TSN going head to head with CBC before, double-headers no less. I wonder does any-one know what ratings TSN is getting showing only American teams vs CBC with it's Canadian teams' schedule.
By, the by, I don't mind the OLN feed. Ya I know TSN used it all year. At least OLN isn't trying to teach me the game.....sorry memories of Fox. But why did CBC let Chris Cuthbert go, he seems a good addition to TSN. Ya I know he's called games for TSN all year.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Alpine said:
Either it was so long ago or I didn't care ;) but I don't remember TSN going head to head with CBC before, double-headers no less. I wonder does any-one know what ratings TSN is getting showing only American teams vs CBC with it's Canadian teams' schedule.
By, the by, I don't mind the OLN feed. Ya I know TSN used it all year. At least OLN isn't trying to teach me the game.....sorry memories of Fox. But why did CBC let Chris Cuthbert go, he seems a good addition to TSN. Ya I know he's called games for TSN all year.

TSN, when they have national TV rights, has always showed non-canadian playoff games. I assume they get pretty decent ratings, especially if the CBC game isn't close, and certainly during commercials and intermissions. It is fantastic having 2 games on at the same time.

Stuy*

I liked Cuthbert...but they replaced him with someone even better in Huhgson...he's great.

I would like Sportsnet to get the national tv rights back...as I always get a cocky sense from TSN......I also hate Daryn Dutchison and Jen Hedger (Shes nasty)

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Its more important for CBC to have Canadian teams in the 2nd, 3rd and SCF than to have the Leafs in the first round. Sure, that first round Leaf game might draw 2.5 mil, but that SCF final game with a Canadian team will draw over 4 mil.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Egil said:
Its more important for CBC to have Canadian teams in the 2nd, 3rd and SCF than to have the Leafs in the first round. Sure, that first round Leaf game might draw 2.5 mil, but that SCF final game with a Canadian team will draw over 4 mil.

We're not Vancouver. Since the 1998-1999 season, the Leafs have made it out of the first round all but once (Six advancements versus one elimination). That includes two conference final appearances. So I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Garbs said:
We're not Vancouver. Since the 1998-1999 season, the Leafs have made it out of the first round all but once (Six advancements versus one elimination). That includes two conference final appearances. So I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

The point is that the big ratings occur when a Canadian team is in the conference finals/stanley cup finals. Calgary was getting well over 4 million viewers, compared to just over 2 for a Toronto first round game. CBC will be happier with say Ottawa making the Stanley Cup finals than having Toronto make the playoffs and go out in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->