TSN: NHLPA meetings have concluded quietly

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by ColoradoHockeyFan, Mar 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoHockeyFan

ColoradoHockeyFan Registered User

2. Mat

Mat Guest

what cba thingy?

OH!, that thing

3. Dave is a killer

Dave is a killer Dave's a Mess

Home Page:
    I bet their nails look better after their manicures

:shakehead

4. mr gib

mr gib Registered User

rock and roller
    Home Page:
    got a point there - pebble beach - oops -

5. Icey

Icey Registered User

Considering the meeting went to 9:45 PM tonight, I would think that they did a little more than play golf and get manicures.

My guess is they went to Pebble Beach for some privacy. Every other meeting has been flooded with the media, and for once they were able to actually hold a meeting in private. Maybe more was accomplished that you would like to believe.

it's only a matter of time before the leaks to the press/media start.

6. Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan Registered User

It was originally believed this group would emerge from three days of meetings with a counter proposal to the NHL's recent two-option presentation, however sources say this get together was pre-planned to allow the PA's leaders to "clear their heads" before moving forward.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/arti...323_175948_5540

I still think that this is the funniest line to come out of the entire lockout . . . and that is saying something.

7. Icey

Icey Registered User

Why?

8. Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan Registered User

It is one of those jokes that likely is less funny when explained. But based on actions to this point, if the NHLPA leadership cleared their heads of what remains there you could hear the ocean if you held one of their ears up to yours . . .

9. jpsharkfan

jpsharkfan Registered User

Hopefully they did come up with some new concepts.
    They certainly had plenty of time to talk as the weather in Pebble Beach this week was awful. My guess is that they got very little, if any golfing in with the storm that came through on Tuesday.

If the three days were in fact for R&R they were TSOL. Which in my opinion serves them right. Three days of R&R, hello you have had almost a year of R&R boys...isnt it about time to truly but your noses to the grindstone and accomplish something. Or better yet, step down and let the younger, whole futures at stake, NHL players control their own destiny.

10. Dave is a killer

Home Page:
    shouldn't the 800 in Red Deer for a "charity game" stoke a fire up their arse?

11. ColoradoHockeyFan

More than we'd like to believe? I think we'd all like to believe that they've crafted a world-class, lockout-ending proposal. :)

12. Dave is a killer

Home Page:
    its a shame these ignorant players - business wise wouldn't know a good deal when it bit them in there arse

13. CantHaveTkachev

CantHaveTkachev hehehe

there only so many times they can use the "we've made biiig concessions with the 24% rollback!"

I hope they come up with something creative

14. ColoradoHockeyFan

Don't they have to come out of this with something substantive, something creative... something? If they don't, how would you feel as one of the rank and file players, seeing them spend three days at Pebble Beach, only to emerge from it with no meaningful resulting work product?

15. Mess

Mess Global Moderator

Home Page:
    There just is no real pressure on the NHLPA during the Off Season and every move they make is Crucial in the Negotiations .. The First side to make a mistake could pay dearly ..

With no proposal coming .. The NHL can not declare an IMPASSE , as the NHLPA would simply say we are working on something .. An offer polar opposite to the NHL one and the time is getting close ..

This is a big game of Cat and Mouse and who ever Blinks first concedes the most ..

16. CMUMike

CMUMike Registered User

The NHLPA can't hold up replacement players (that's really what you mean by impasse) forever just by saying they are working on something. I'm sure there would be a timing stipulation as well.

17. ti-vite

ti-vite Registered User

Good to see Irbe is still around to give his point of view:

'Who cares, even if you get demoted to the ECHL, you will get your millions! Foooouuuuuuuuuurrrrrr!!!'

18. chiavsfan

chiavsfan Registered User

Radio News Director
    Home Page:
    Again, how could a group of people with nothing in their head to begin with....go somewhere to clear their heads. The PA makes more of a joke out of itself everytime they speak, meet, or appear in Public

19. Levitate

Levitate Registered User

for one, why do people make a big deal about them going to pebble beach and act like they just spent the entire time playing golf. you think the owners and GM's and all of those people aren't out there golfing and doing all kinds of recreational stuff? they don't sit and work on this 24 hours a day, get real.

second...does it really matter if they come up with a "creative" proposal? I have the feeling the league will just reject it anyways because they want the deal on their terms. I mean it'd be great if the NHLPA came up with a really nice proposal that made sense but I still wouldn't hold my breath that the league would accept it

20. Frenzy31

Frenzy31 Registered User

Most of the owners do have to work for their money. They don't grow it on trees and they haven't won it in the lottery.

Yes, it does matter. Atleast come up with something. If it is creative it may provide another option to those released by the NHL. They should care what happens to their sport, if the NHL goes down, so will the PA. It is in their best interest to get the game healthy, the sooner they get the game healthy and get community support and sponsorships, the better it will be for all involved. Yes, they can hurt the owners by dragging this out, but it will also hurt themselves: Why cut off your arm to spite your face?

Does anyone really think the WHA will pay players over 1 million on average. Not a chance, they don't have the TV contracts, no fan following that has been established - they don't have anything.

If 50% of the PA heads to the WHA and 50% returns, the tallent will be deluted, fans support will wither for both and neither will be successful.

21. mooseOAK*

mooseOAK* Guest

I have always wondered why a guy like Irbe who is never going to play another NHL game is a key part of the player's committee.

22. Isles72

Isles72 Registered User

why is archie irbe at these meeting , his career is over

move on lil guy :shakehead

23. ti-vite

ti-vite Registered User

Irbes carrer might be over. How bout the rest of the committe without playing a year...?

Damphousse (37 years old) (limited role if any)
    Boughner (34) (pushed out by younger guy)
    Guerin (34) (salary issue I would imagine...lol)
    Klatt (34) (will play)

24. Mess

Mess Global Moderator

Home Page:
    FYI .. Mike Gartner is the VP of the NHLPA and retired

Same reason Florida, Nashville , Atlanta and others are pushing for a Low Hard Cap Ceiling when they are all hanging on to a NHL team by a THREAD themselves.

So apparently being a contributing member to the NHL is not a criteria for being involved in its future and the decision making process ..

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  25. Icey

Icey Registered User

Now that's funny.

It's why cut your nose off to spite your face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.