TSN: News Conference Wednesday at 1pm ET to announce cancellation of season

Status
Not open for further replies.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
"Individual NHL clubs are said to be planning their own local news conferences immediately following Bettman's announcement."

it should probably follow with "teams have been givin an outline of what to offer season ticket holders in the following message from the NHL&NHLPA:

'dear hard core fan sorry we can't behave like adults so we will have no season for the short or long term time frame. In place of the coolest game on earth we give you this turd shaped like a puck. When the craving for NHL hockey begins please suck on it, it should last through the summer of 2005.

Happy Valentines Day

Love

Gary Bettman Bob Goodenow

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Kokopeli said:
I think that is very unlikely. The owners will not back-off on linkage now. After letting the majority of the season slip away and being completely unsure of what the economic future looks like, there is no way the owners will back-off on linkage. The only way that happens is if the players agree to a $25 million cap, and that is not going to happen.
I could've sworn that yesterday on the Score one of their tickers they had over and over said Saskin said the NHL was prepared to negotiate a Cap that doesn't involve linkage... Was I imagining that?

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
Jamie said:
I could've sworn that yesterday on the Score one of their tickers they had over and over said Saskin said the NHL was prepared to negotiate a Cap that doesn't involve linkage... Was I imagining that?

I have heard that too, not sure where, but I did hear it.

50 Mission Cap

Mar 3, 2002
Pembroke, Ontario
www.tmlfans.ca
mike755 said:
Hey 50 mission cap ...look man i'm sure you haven't been listening all mornnig! You very well could have missed it....i'm telling you they were discussing it for a good 20 minutes around 11 i think. I can't confirm what program it is casue i listne to the Team 1200 and i live it Ottawa. Also the hockeycentral pannel was disucssing the announcment but said that they most likley are talking...i mean it makes perfect sense ! So stop trying to prove me wrong guys!

Anyway well know very very soon!

Actually, I've been listening all morning all the satellite feed here at work.

Haven't heard a damn thing. I also emailed the Bullpen show which is on from 10:00am-1:00pm and they said they haven't reported it.

You can give them a shout at [email protected].

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
ChiHawks468 said:
I have heard that too, not sure where, but I did hear it.

Daly was on The Score and was asked if they would negotiate a cap without linkage. He responded by saying that it would not be a non-starter, but said it would have been better for the union to have proposed it, 5-6 months ago.

Mountain Dude

Habber said:
Glad to hear that the end is near either way. I don't know why they didn't do this two weeks ago, but whatever.

My prediction: Bettman calls a news conference for tomorrow to cancel the season. Talks are held tonight, the owners back off linkage, the players accept a cap, and the news conference tomorrow will annouce that an agreement has been reached in principal.

:lol:

What are you smoking? :lol

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It was an interview by Kouleas with Daly on the Score. He asked Daly if the NHL was willing to drop the linkage and Daly basically said yes...and here is where what Daly said has gotten blown out of proporation a bit. Daly went on to say that the time to talk about a cap with no linkage was before the lockout began not 5 months into it. He explained that based on the business damage of a 5 monht lockout he couldn't really see how no linkage was an option at this point. However he said he would welcome those discussions with the NHLPA.

Of course he would welcome those discussions because it gets the PA over the cap hurdle. But I thought he made it pretty clear that having no linkage after all this time isn't truly an option. It will not be an option at all if the season gets cancelled.

That said, if the players took at 40-45 mil cap right now without linkage the league takes it and laughs its way to the bank. If they play 28 games + playoffs there are no attendance issues next year beyond the usual ones. Revenues rebound and escalate while the cap stays the same.

Lanny MacDonald*

NataSatan666 said:
I hope the owners give back all the intrest they made off the season ticket money.

As far as I have read, the teams are indeed paying interest on the funds returned from ticket deposits. I think there was a post on this board a week or two ago that said Tampa was refunding tickets and it stated explicitly there that the Lightning were give 4.75% interest on the funds. Get that from bank these days.

;)

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
NataSatan666 said:
I hope the owners give back all the intrest they made off the season ticket money.

The teams I have heard about returning ticket money are returning the money plus interest. The interest rate one team (leafs I think) is using is 4.75 %. I imagine all will follow suit. They are also giving people the option of leaving the deposits for next season.

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=114925

It's expected the National Hockey League will put out an advisory later today that it is calling a news conference for tomorrow afternoon in New York, at which time NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is expected to officially cancel the 2004-05 regular season and playoffs.

Some are still holding out hope, desperate as it may be, that there will be some last-minute movement that could lead to a resumption of negotiations that could delay what appears to be the inevitable, but it requires a monumental leap of faith to believe that.
:shakehead

What a junk article. Expected? Who possesses these expectations? SOME are sill holding out hope? Who, exactly? A monumental leap of faith, eh? By whose standards?

It should come as no surprise to anybody, but the end is near.

Wow, what a riveting, hard-hitting statement THAT is! :eek:

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
Lady Rhian said:
I'm grief stricken right now. I really thought these guys would get something done. :cry:

The '94-'95 deal came out of nowhere as well. There's no more reason than last time to give up just yet.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Chinook said:
The '94-'95 deal came out of nowhere as well. There's no more reason than last time to give up just yet.

I've given up and i was one of the last optimists. Greed and ego's from both sides have taken over. It's started as a PR war and never went further than that.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
OilKiller said:
I agree. It is the 11th hour now. It is not over until it is official IMO.

While I applaud your, as well as the other optimists wishful thinking, the clock it about to strike midnight. Barring the conplete and total consession by either side, the season is over.

Which means the season is over...

The writing has been on the wall since the middle of January.

OilKiller

Feb 1, 2005
canadatv.invisionzone.com
Toonces said:
While I applaud your, as well as the other optimists wishful thinking, the clock it about to strike midnight. Barring the conplete and total consession by either side, the season is over.

Which means the season is over...

The writing has been on the wall since the middle of January.

The same thing was said in 94-95. Bob is a deadline hunter. Now is the deadline. IF...and this is an IF, there is a deal there, it gets done today. Again, that is just my opinion.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
OilKiller said:
The same thing was said in 94-95. Bob is a deadline hunter. Now is the deadline. IF...and this is an IF, there is a deal there, it gets done today. Again, that is just my opinion.

I agree, Goodenow has promised the players the best deal possible, the best deal wasn't 2 months ago, it's right up to the deadline...if Goodenow is an idiot like most think he is here, then, goodbye season...i'd like to think he's smarter than that...

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Jobu said:
:lol :lol :lol

it may be funny, but im sure its goign to be required to retain your season ticket spot.

My dad went half in on season Tickets for the wings in 1992. It was cool going to 20+ home games. 1994 lock out, his partner bought him out, and then requested a refund early into the lockout [november\december]. he lost his spot because he didnt put a deposit down.

True hockey fans who have waited for season ticket spots WONT walk away from this with out gaurenteeing thier spot next season. espeically if they allow you to just subtract a certian amount from the refund and put it down towards a deposit.

WhalerBoy

Jul 22, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
As a Red Sox fan, I beleive.

I got a lot of respect for you as a mod, and you seem to know your hockey.

BUT, how in the hell does one live in Philly and cheer for the Red Sox?

If your a Philly boy, isnt it Flyers/Phillies/Eagles/Sixers or death?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad