TSN: Jack Johnson will not be suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysfanatic*

It goes back to what Gretzky said in 02 when Hamrlik decked Fleury at the end of the Canada/Czech game.....if a Canadian did it, it'd be bloody murder.........I say the IIHF has definite Canadian bias.

Phanuthier*

kytem2 said:
2 sides...

Downie slashed Johnson at least twice on this play, it was obvious that he was trying to instigate something...well after the empty netter was a fait acompli..Downie asked for it, and he got it.

That being said, Johnson should certainly be suspended for a vicious elbow to the head of Downie.
I don't care, the bottum line is that J Johnson cheap shotted Downie with a flying elbow.

In my mind, that's a 6 NHL game suspension, but since the WJC has only 2 games (max) left, I'd suspend him for both.

But... he wasn't. IMO because the IIHF understood the heat of the game, that they didn't want to take the caliber of name like J Johnson, that its a short tournament and these games are huge and that really, young players make mistakes and it would really suck for J Johnson to miss out on the oppertunity to play in the medal rounds. I don't agree with it, but I can respect their decision.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
kytem2 said:
Like I said:

a) Downie got punked, he asked for it, he got it, was shown to be a punk.

and

b) Johnson should be suspended.
Could someone explain to me, how he asked for it? If it was for the slash like 3 seconds before Johnson slashed him first and then Downie slashed him back. Both of the slashes weren't that hard.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
canucksfan said:
Could someone explain to me, how he asked for it? If it was for the slash like 3 seconds before Johnson slashed him first and then Downie slashed him back. Both of the slashes weren't that hard.

Sometimes, these Darcy Tucker clones get clocked. Downie is not a saint. The IIHF made the right call. It does not warrant a suspension.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phanuthier*

Devilsfanatic said:
It goes back to what Gretzky said in 02 when Hamrlik decked Fleury at the end of the Canada/Czech game.....if a Canadian did it, it'd be bloody murder.........I say the IIHF has definite Canadian bias.
Gretz said that to take the pressure of Team Canada

Nothing more

albathegreat*

Does anyone have the footage?

Can you post it here.. I like some others missed it.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
B ask for it. A partially missed B.

I couldnt care less. A intend to elbow B to the head after the goal, which mean on a dead play.

In the nhl, it's 5+ games... and easily. I'd say this guy is lucky to have Johnson writen behind his jersey. He's a super young player but he should not play again in this tournament.

Very disapointed, i'd say the same about any player in the tournament.

edit: McLaren got 2-3 playoffs nhl games for a "similar" kind of hit (on Zednik) 4 years ago... and it was in the play, not after. Should help you makes a clear jugement of how many games he should have gotten.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
deandebean said:
Downie IS a shlit distuber. Sometimes, these Darcy Tucker clones get clocked. Downie is not a saint. The IIHF made the right call. It does not warrant a suspension.

Agreed. Downie's instigation is overlooked, and the severity of the actual elbow played up.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
WOW, everyone who says downie is a gritty little a$$ that no one wants to play against are absolutely right.

However, Jack Johnson tried to elbow this KID in the head. Not only tried....but he did LAND a blow to the kids head. how can we not protect our players better than this? What kind of message does this send, seriously?

Now what happens when Canada and USA play again and Downie knocks Kessel out of the tourney, puts him in a coma, breaks his neck????????????

Holy cow if this isnt setting up another Bertuzzi incident then i dont know what is.

For a rules commitee that suspends players for letting gloves fall of hands and push each other, how can we not give this kid a suspension?

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
It was an unfortunate incident, but this kind of thing happens all the time in hockey. Yeah it was a cheap shot but it wasn’t as bad as some people are saying and I don’t think a suspension was warranted.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
deandebean said:
Downie IS a shlit distuber. Sometimes, these Darcy Tucker clones get clocked. Downie is not a saint. The IIHF made the right call. It does not warrant a suspension.

You're wrong, and I don't know how much more wrong you could be. What's next? **** victims asked for it?

Downie, while being nowhere near a Saint did not deserve that.

The IIHF is an absolute disgrace for letting that happen. Let me be the first to say, I hope Kessel gets destroyed in his next game by a dirty hit, and is unable to play another game. The only reason I say that is because the IIHF certainly did the wrong thing, they sent the wrong message, and they're asking to have a guy of Kessels abilities crippled for life, because an opposing player decides his team has a better chance to win with him out of the game, and with Kessel on life support.

I think Jack Johnson is a great player, who, if given the chance, would wish he'd never done that, and do anything in his power to take that action back. But the truth of it is, is that the action which he undertook was equal to the Tie Domi elbow to Niedermayer, and was a disgrace to the World Junior competition. Anyone who argues against that is wrong, no question, and should never be given any respect on these boards. It's like arguing Domi deserved nothing for the hit on Niedermayer, or that Bertuzzi deserved nothing for his punch to Moore. It's total Bull s**t.

One game wouldn't have been enough. Only the tournament would.

The only plus to that decision is that when Canada plays the US, we will see blood, and the IIHF will have to re-evaluate their flawed, and pathetic ways in deciding discipline. This is total c**p.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Sabes said:
I just hope there is no retaliation. We don't need that. Plus if it was Downie he probably be suspended.

Why do you hope there is no retalitation? I hope to god that Downie submarines Johnson in the next game and then stomps on his shooting hands wrist. Jack Johnson should be a marked man in the next game, and I hope to God the retalitation is only on him, and not to a guy like Kessel (as I brought up in my last post), or Skille, or anyone else. We all know the IIHF frowns on fighting, but they seem to love the dirty s**t.

Maybe then the IIHF will see the error of their ways, and take issues seriously.

I truly believe a career ending injury is the only way the IIHF gets the picture, sadly, it would probably have to happen to a Russian or a Swede before they decided to take it seriously.The IIHF doesn't care about North Americans.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
GregStack said:
You're wrong, and I don't know how much more wrong you could be. What's next? **** victims asked for it?

Downie, while being nowhere near a Saint did not deserve that.

The IIHF is an absolute disgrace for letting that happen. Let me be the first to say, I hope Kessel gets destroyed in his next game by a dirty hit, and is unable to play another game. The only reason I say that is because the IIHF certainly did the wrong thing, they sent the wrong message, and they're asking to have a guy of Kessels abilities crippled for life, because an opposing player decides his team has a better chance to win with him out of the game, and with Kessel on life support.

I think Jack Johnson is a great player, who, if given the chance, would wish he'd never done that, and do anything in his power to take that action back. But the truth of it is, is that the action which he undertook was equal to the Tie Domi elbow to Niedermayer, and was a disgrace to the World Junior competition. Anyone who argues against that is wrong, no question, and should never be given any respect on these boards. It's like arguing Domi deserved nothing for the hit on Niedermayer, or that Bertuzzi deserved nothing for his punch to Moore. It's total Bull s**t.

One game wouldn't have been enough. Only the tournament would.

The only plus to that decision is that when Canada plays the US, we will see blood, and the IIHF will have to re-evaluate their flawed, and pathetic ways in deciding discipline. This is total c**p.

Well I agree with many of your points if not most, I do not wish Kessel to get hurt, he is a dynamic player and is good for hockey.

Jack Johnson should have been suspended and I think most can and do agree with this. Clearly the intent was there.

You know what this reminds me of, the stick swinging in the AHL, Perezhogin i think it was who connected and got a year, well the other guy swung his stick at Perezhogins head seconds before and missed, he ends up with only 4 games. *** is that about...as if he didnt have the exact same intent.

Now we go with Jack Johnson, sure he had intent to hurt a kid and possibly at that point didnt care if he ended his career....oh well he missed so no one cares.

I ask *** IIHF?

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
GregStack said:
Let me be the first to say, I hope Kessel gets destroyed in his next game by a dirty hit

Wishing injury on another player..

This thread has officially hit all new lows.

Happy New Year friend..I emphasize "happy"

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Wishing injury on another player..

This thread has officially hit all new lows.

Happy New Year friend..I emphasize "happy"

Read the rest of the comment my dear. I was using Kessel as an example of a suprebly skilled player who has to go down before the IIHF does something about bull s**t like that. It was more a compliment, in a sad joke type of way, than truly wishing injury. Truth is I wish Johnson just didn't throw that elbow so this thread wasn't neccessary. Maybe we could have just had a thread talking about how damn good he is of a player, I would have enjoyed that better since I think he's the best defenceman in the tournament.

I love Kessel, I think he's great, and wish him the best, but the truth is that if the IIHF wants to play that game with Canada, we've got more than enough boys to play it, so let's get the ball rolling.

Kessel or Malkin are the only ones we need to go down with a career ending injury before the IIHF decides to take the right step boot a few players out for the tournament for playing dirty. Who knows, maybe if somone is hurt enough we'll see someone out of IIHF sponsored functions in general! :yo:

EDIT: Happy new year to you too. I truly do hope nobody gets run, or hurt in dirty fashion in this tournament, but I just think this is the biggest disgrace I've seen in a tournament like this. It's a sad thing to see really. Like I said, I love Johnson. I think he's great, I'm more mad that a guy I thought was so good would do something so bad (like the Bertuzzi thing, I love Bertuzzi, but he did the wrong thing, and it burned me so bad to see a player I like so much do that) Anyways, believe me when I say it, I do not want to see anyone hurt, no matter how good or how bad they are in this tournament, the NHL, or any league, I just think in this case that's what they need to smarten up. I post in a very contraversial way, just to get that point across. Sometimes I say things I totally disagree with, just to get people thinking, this is one of those times.

Happy New Years though, truly, to all. Let's hope actions like that are a 2005 thing, and not a 2006 thing.

Last edited:

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
The IIHF has pretty much written Team Canada a license to do whatever they want to Jack Johnson, should they meet again. Not that two wrongs make a right, but if Canada were to do something (which I don't think Brent Sutter would do), it would looke worse on the IIHF than on Canada.

Natural Habs Fan

Nov 28, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Okay so correct me if I'm wong but some of you are saying that what Johnson did was okay because Downie slashed him earlier?

By that reasoning what Perezhogin did to Stafford was okay because it was just retaliation for an attempted slash by Stafford. Also what Betuzzi did was also fine because it was just retaliation for what Moore did to Naslund in an earlier game.

It all makes sense now...

Johnson should at least get a one game suspension. Elbows to the head, or anything involving hitting someone in the head, should not be tolerated.

Either way it doesn't really matter. The US wont get by the Russians.

Rebecca

Nov 1, 2005
Ptbo
An unfortunate decision.

The child in my says "Johnson will get his". But the adult in me still likes him, despite the boneheaded move, and hopes to Hell that Canada doesn't seek retribution should these two teams face off again.

Rebecca

Nov 1, 2005
Ptbo
Flyguy_1ca said:
I dunno what you'd have to do to have a more clear cut case of intent to injure.....
Let's just hope we don't find out, eh? Sincerely, I'm not dripping sarcasm here.

Dogbert*

I just saw the replays, and the IIHF is making the Colin Campbell Show look respectable.

I hope that we meet the States in the final, and that one of our tough guys tries to kill an American player. An eye for an eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad