Olympics: [TSN] IOC will have to pay for NHL players

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
If the International Olympic Committee wants NHL players at the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang they had best take a look at the people sitting at the table and their negotiating history. When they do, they’ll reach the conclusion they’re going to pay or they won’t have NHL players, Gary Lawless writes.

http://www.tsn.ca/ioc-will-have-to-pay-for-nhl-players-1.593733

Some players will be pissed
---------------------------------------------------

[**UPDATE 1: NHL, NHLPA among groups set to meet about Olympics]

The NHL and NHLPA are just two of the groups set to meet next week to discuss the NHL's involvement at the 2018 Olympics in South Korea, according to TSN

The International Olympic Committee has said they will not pay for player costs such as insurance and travel in Pyeongchang like they have done in the past. Both the NHL and NHLPA believe the IOC should still be stuck with the expenses for their participation at the Olympics.
There will be no final decision made in New York next week.
---------------------------------------------------

[**UPDATE 2: Clock ticking on NHL Olympic decision]

It's a big week for meetings in the NHL.
None bigger, it would seem, than Wednesday in New York. That's when the NHL and all the Olympic hockey stakeholders — outside of the International Olympic Committee, that is — get together to see if there's going to be a last-ditch effort to maintain NHL participation in the 2018 Winter Games in PyeongChang, South Korea.
The NHL's current position has been well documented. As long as the IOC expects the NHL to “pay for the privilege” — when in each of the five previous Olympics the NHL wasn't responsible for the cost of NHL player participation — the league isn't going.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I do hope they go to South Korea. The NHL is likely trying to eke out one last time from the IOC before China where they will pick up the tab no matter what to expose the game and their brand in that market.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
who needs to cover the costs?
IOC/IIHF/NHLPA/Broadcasters/Corporate Sponsors.

We are talking less than 20 million dollars.

If the NHL can negotiate marketing rights, then they can kick in a few million to the pot as well. If not, then it is on the other 5 parties to cover the bill.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
who needs to cover the costs?
IOC/IIHF/NHLPA/Broadcasters/Corporate Sponsors.

We are talking less than 20 million dollars.

If the NHL can negotiate marketing rights, then they can kick in a few million to the pot as well. If not, then it is on the other 5 parties to cover the bill.

IOC ain't giving up a speck of marketing rights. That's guaranteed

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think it's more and more likely the NHL doesn't go to the 2018 Olympics. It was fun while it lasted but it's going to be good to see the NHL season not get interrupted by the Olympics.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Can really NHL run over NHLPA is in this matter? The players want to play in the olympics, so should not NHLPA work for it then?

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
NHL is the worlds most greediest organization. They are simply trying to suck out the living life of every other competition.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
NHL is the worlds most greediest organization. They are simply trying to suck out the living life of every other competition.
Compared to the IOC the NHL are saints; not sure why you'd think getting compensation for travel/insurance costs while shutting your business down and letting someone else use it for free down + taking all the (injury) risk is greed

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Compared to the IOC the NHL are saints; not sure why you'd think getting compensation for travel/insurance costs while shutting your business down and letting someone else use it for free down + taking all the (injury) risk is greed

Not really. IOC revenue benefits each sport represented at the games.

I do agree though that the IOC should be involved in covering the costs. I think perhaps IOC, IIHF, NBC and national federations could cover for them together?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

I do agree though that the IOC should be involved in covering the costs. I think perhaps IOC, IIHF, NBC and national federations could cover for them together?

that's right. I forgot to include those in my list of who should cover the costs. But in fairness, out of the 12 Federations at the Olympic tournament, only the big 6 should have to root around in their pockets to come up with $$ for the cause. and Hockey Canada/USAH/Russian Federation paying the most.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Have you really never heard of the level of corruption in the IOC? I thought it was well established that the IOC and FIFA were by far the most corrupt organizations in all of sports

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011

Add to that the IOC won't let the NHL use any images of the players in any promo material.

So why would you shut down your league, assume all the risk when players get injured to let these other guys benefit, when you can't reap any benefit at all?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Have you really never heard of the level of corruption in the IOC? I thought it was well established that the IOC and FIFA were by far the most corrupt organizations in all of sports

And even if the NHL receives some compensation - it's a drop in the bucket compared to you know... shutting down for 2 weeks.

The IOC just wants to take cost off its books and push it onto everyone else so they can live large. It's typical end result of cronyism. Enrich yourselves at the expense of others.

It's not as big a deal in other pro sports because they often run on a tournament/event basis anyways or it's not smack in the middle of a season.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

so the company who demand they get the talent for free and prevents he league from using this to promote the very people who release the players, they get a pass ?

those $900 per diems don't pay for themselves. The NHL is a PRIVATE league, they are in the business of making money. But the IOC ( and the NCAA) negotiates tv rights for BILLIONS to different broadcasting corporations and then cries poor that they can't pay any of the talent a dime.

the NHL may well be greedy, but greedier than the IOC ? no freaking way.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Can really NHL run over NHLPA is in this matter? The players want to play in the olympics, so should not NHLPA work for it then?

Basically it requires both the NHLPA and NHL to agree together to attend the Olympics. At the current time no agreement has been reached.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Not even the greediest North American sports league. NFL runs away with that title.
The NFL has NOTHING to do with the NHL/IOC and Olympic participation...

Some European/Russian fans who want the Olympics seem pretty greedy to me.....the Leagues in Europe/Russia can't pay market value for the players and they want North America to cover the costs/take the risks for free, all the while attacking/namecalling NA Leagues

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The NFL has NOTHING to do with the NHL/IOC and Olympic participation...

Some European/Russian fans who want the Olympics seem pretty greedy to me.....the Leagues in Europe/Russia can't pay market value for the players and they want North America to cover the costs/take the risks for free, all the while attacking/namecalling NA Leagues

Point ------>

Your head

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

It is the same for everyone not just NHL or NA sports, everyone has to shutdown their business when the national team is calling, it is only that it is the NA leagues that is the only one that do not play along, and therefore make the international scene for hockey more boring and corrupt.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Yes I'm well aware of went on during Samaranch's reign, it's was covered extensively in the media here back then. Have you also not paid any attention to what e.g. Rogge did to clear up teh corruption and increase transparency? I've linked several times the info from IOC's own site how revenue is distributed and to whom. If you choose to ignore it and go to tinfoil hat claims, then the problem is at your end.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
that's right. I forgot to include those in my list of who should cover the costs. But in fairness, out of the 12 Federations at the Olympic tournament, only the big 6 should have to root around in their pockets to come up with $$ for the cause. and Hockey Canada/USAH/Russian Federation paying the most.

If we wee to discuss realistic proposals, I wonder if the following would work: IOC covers 25-30% of the insurance, NBC/CBC cover a part of the NA teams with Hockey Canada/USA Hockey covering the rest. IIHF and national federations cover the European teams for the remaining amounts.

I think Russia, Sweden and possibly Finland (with Laine, Puljujärvi potentially making huge contracts after their ELCs end) will have to deal with most insurance money. Czechs have more players but I don't think they have players with big contracts. I know the Finnish federation saved some of that 10 million € revenue from 2012 and 2013 Worlds for "worse days" (most of it going to hiring regional skill/talent coaches).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->