TSN Insiders Jan. 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

MmmBacon

Dec 2, 2004
Hemsky4PM said:
The NHL owners have no obligation to open up their books to the PA, although they have made offers to do so that have been refused. If you own a private business the only people entitled to know your books are you and the tax man.

I think the owners resolve says something about the horrid state of their finances. They want (and believe they need) a cap.

Are you serious? The owners want the players to link their salaries to revenues, and you don't think they should be obligated to open their books?

"We had a bad year, so the salary cap will drop by 50 percent. Trust us."

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Hockeyfan02 said:
Random thought I had a few weeks back: I think there would be much more trust between the owners and PA if the owners let the PA hire 30 accoutants work for them and oversee each team's finances. They would work jointly with the book keeper of the owners side to make sure there isnt any "hiding of revenues" and see what exactly the teams are losing. They wouldnt look over previous season's books, but start whenever hockey season starts. I know I'm probably crazy/an idiot for thinking this, but its just an idea.

The NHL owners are such dastardly scoundrels, the PA accountants would be bribed and corrupted as soon as the owners talked to them, or as soon as they did not say what the PA wanted them to say...

:D

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He obviously has not heard of the field of Forensic Accounting.

Limit the area of revenues and increase the percentage, ie pick the easiest to account for revenues that are directly related to hockey games (concessions, ticket sales, merchandise etc). Its a sensible enough position, since its much harder to fiddle some areas than others. Open the door to deal and then start negotiating the finer details.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Hemsky4PM said:
The NHL owners have no obligation to open up their books to the PA, although they have made offers to do so that have been refused.

Actually, as long as the is operating in the real world, not the fantasy pro NHL'er world where Teddy Roosevelt never existed, the NHL does have an obligation to open the books. Labor law says if an employer is claiming an inability to pay, they have to prove it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
MmmBacon said:
Are you serious? The owners want the players to link their salaries to revenues, and you don't think they should be obligated to open their books?

"We had a bad year, so the salary cap will drop by 50 percent. Trust us."

I think he's talking about past years, pre-linkage.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
A couple of things.

Healy believes there is no way to track finances... therefore players should demand a higher percentage? Whaaaa....? I don't believe the dispagreement is about teams hiding money (though there should certainly be hefty fines levied against those who try and go that route), but over the definition of what the revenue streams actually are. This is how the PA "finds" money... they simply add a bunch of things to their list of revenue.

Anyhow, back to Healy. Wouldn't charging a higher rate simply encourage Owners to try and hide the dough-ray-me?

If this is the deal that eventually gets signed... I find I simply can't agree with Bob Mackenzie on the idea that this could have been done sooner. The PA was simply not going to negotiate anything like this untill they understood that the NHL was willing to lose the season. A healthy deal only gets done when both sides work towards an agreement, and the PA wasn't willing to negotiate on the important factors untill they weren't in the drivers seat.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
OilerFan4Life said:
I think you guys are being to hard on Healy. I mean he was once a great goaltender..........oh wait no he wasnt!

Doesn't or boy Glen, say it's impossible to track revenue and then turn around immediatly and say they have to find a way to track revenue? Or was I just impressed by the fact that he can actually speak? heh heh heh

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Healy and his pointless uninformed crap.. He's TSN's answer to Strachan.. The glasses bring his IQ up to about 80. Or wait, was that his GAA??

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
me2 said:
Limit the area of revenues and increase the percentage, ie pick the easiest to account for revenues that are directly related to hockey games (concessions, ticket sales, merchandise etc). Its a sensible enough position, since its much harder to fiddle some areas than others. Open the door to deal and then start negotiating the finer details.

That's certainly one way to do it. Or they again, simply give the players "everything" nudge nudge.

I know... say the players have 75% of the gate... then I sure we'll see the ticket prices go down, because we all know the players really do care about the fans :D

X-SHARKIE

mudcrutch79 said:
Burke opened up, and he was optimistic.

1. 6 year deal, short year this year and six more
2. Luxury tax is on the table
3. Profit sharing; if it tops 100 million it's a 50/50 share
4. Arbitration; rights for clubs and salaries

Still linkage apparently. Interesting point, any lying, million dollar fine and a first round pick, second time you get caught it's 5 million and three first round picks. Healy is still not optimistic. He notes that revenues can't be tracked or controlled; suggests a higher percentage of revenues that they could count and be sure about, like ticket sales or concessions. McKenzie notes that they should have done this 5 months ago.

Burke really sounds optimistic, and even Healy seems to think that there are some creative options available. That's interesting to me that Healy seems to think that there are opportunities available-he's clearly talking to the NHLPA, and he's been roundly negative up to this point.

NHL might offer this? So Burke thinks a deal well be done with this?

I SURE HOPE SO!!!

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
I love the idea of fining teams for lieing.

1 mil and a 1st rounder for the first offense, and 5 mil and three first rounders for the second.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
X-SHARKIE said:
NHL might offer this? So Burke thinks a deal well be done with this?

I SURE HOPE SO!!!

Hrm, I could be wrong but I think he said all this stuff was already ON THE TABLE.

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
Here it begins! I was already convinced we would have a season, but when anyone from doom and gloom canadian press says to be optimistic, that's reason to celebrate, whether Burke says to or not. This deal is awesome!! All of you negative posters get ready to smile again. LET"S GO ISLANDERS!!!

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
X-SHARKIE said:
Well if it already was, then why are we all getting excited if they already gaffed at it?

I guess people feel there is a chance with a few tweaks it might happen? Somebody might want to confirm this, Burke said this stuff was on the table didn't he, yikes, i'll watch the clip again. Healey on the other hand (yes, he sucks) seemed to think this deal wouldn't fly no matter what.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Scugs said:
Just watched that... it gave me shivers... Healy is really an idiot. I hope the NHL starts up and he quits the TSN panel due to embarrassment. He still said that he doubts there will be an NHL this year.

I can see where he is comming from, we stand right now with no official meetings or talking. But still... Since day 1 he was being an NHLPA fanboy, which gets annoying.
Healy is a complete IDIOT, he adds zero credibility and was a marginal goalie at best. He must wake up every morning and laugh his butt off taking a mediocre career and landing an analyst job on TSN !!! JOKE

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Lil' Jimmy Norton said:
Healy is a complete IDIOT, he adds zero credibility and was a marginal goalie at best. He must wake up every morning and laugh his butt off taking a mediocre career and landing an analyst job on TSN !!! JOKE

He is a jackass, but what does his hockey career have to do with being a good analyst? If being a good NHLer is a prerequisite for being able to analyze hockey, then 99.999% of us on these boards are talking out of our rears.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Lil' Jimmy Norton said:
I agree, but they could find somebody with a little more credibility dont ya think ?

That's what McKenzie and Burke are there for.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I can't stand goalie commentators, JD gets a pass, i like him. How about getting someone who played the game instead of a goalie.
That's right i said it... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad