TSN Hot Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
dawgbone said:
Both Saskins and Daly seemed to be sweating it out. Do you know what he said on ESPN radio

It seems that news conference got you as worked up as me. Look I cant state or defend the players position. I dont know it. Im just foaming at the mouth right now cause im pissed off as hell and moreso at the owners. I think both sides are doing what they think is right. But im more suspicious of the owners.

No I didnt actually hear the ESPN Broadcast. I've heard 3rd hand what he said, so I could be wrong.

dawgbone said:
I don't understand your argument though... the league URO's are probably a lot better for the players than the numbers cablevision uses for the Rangers...

Touché. They are still artificial and the lowest common denominator

dawgbone said:
You asked and answered your own question...

Is it fair? Yes

Is it the only way? No... but it's fair, what is the problem?

Is it fair? How do I decide this as a fan? Is it fair that they pick a number out of a hat and say this is the factor for local tv revenue. And then pick another number and say board advertising should be split 50-50% between team and arena? If the owner was left to his own druthers, would he find spending the money worth it?

This is what Bettman probably wants. Lets get into a debate on what is a fair percentage. This is where I think the players have a tough choice in their position. And where I dont know how to decide if I agree with them fully.

If they want to keep this ability, they will have to win it in a fight. Similarly if the owners want to change it, blood must be spilled. I think thats plain stupid. There is always a negotiated way out.

I dont know how to decide what is fair. I know the players dont find it fair. And I have no trust for the owners who have never told me the truth in their lives. So whats fair. Easy answer for me is let the market decide, and ensure it doesnt have unfair ramifications on the competitiveness of the league. Like now.

dawgbone said:
Ah yes... that horrible cap thing... the one the players agreed to despite having the owners by their short curleys. What a terrible thing! So terrible, that despite having all kinds of leverage, the players still willingly accepted it!

I thought what Daly said here was interesting. After they won the battle, they got swamped in the courts over anti-trust suits Daly said. He seemed to suggest, that the only way the players could recover that was to accept the Cap. I've never heard this before and dont quite know what to make it of yet. Is he saying he knows the players lawsuits will drive them to bankruptcy, and the only way they will then get that money is to play under a cap? Im not slamming him here, I thought it was an interesting statement I dont get yet. It turns out ironically if Im reading it right, which probably isnt the case.

dawgbone said:
How on earth are fans going to get lower ticket prices when revenues are maxed and the players won't accept a paycut?

I think this misunderstanding of leverage on your part is why I cant get you to see why I think the way I do.

Randall Graves*

DementedReality said:
of course its ok ... why wouldnt it be ? are you not confident enough in yourself that if your organization decided to replace you, THEY, not you, would be worse off ?

i have no fear of losing my job, it would my employers loss, not mine.

dr
George Bush, is that you?

Brent Burns Beard