TSN Hot Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
JWI19 said:
Let me ask you this, why aren't the owners offering up a soft cap? But yet you find it easy to blame the players even though they are the ones who atleast put a luxury tax in their proposal. Sure the players luxury tax is weak, but it's more than the owners have done.

Well thats where collective bargaining 101 comes in. Your 1st offer is never your final offer. The owners will definitely come off the low hard cap they have on the table.

I'd like to see a combination soft and hard cap which I think would work well. Soft cap of $40M, hard cap of $60M should enable poorer teams to compete and allows richer teams to spend more than others.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
JWI19 said:
Let me ask you this, why aren't the owners offering up a soft cap? But yet you find it easy to blame the players even though they are the ones who atleast put a luxury tax in their proposal. Sure the players luxury tax is weak, but it's more than the owners have done.
That's incredibly weak. The NHL could have a new proposal to cut all salaries by 90%. Then I could say, "Well, at least they're trying."

Go Flames Go*

JWI19 said:

What kind of argument is this son, the NHL offered 6 proposals and they were turned down withouth even any questions asked. WHy didnt they work from the NHL's proposal its more then then 1 ****** took 2 hours to come up with proposal.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Go Flames Go said:
What kind of argument is this son, the NHL offered 6 proposals and they were turned down withouth even any questions asked. WHy didnt they work from the NHL's proposal its more then then 1 ****** took 2 hours to come up with proposal.

1st dont even call me son. If you want to debate dont insult people.

YEs the owners gave the players 6 proposal, all of them were a form of a hard cap. It's the owners who aren't bending from their hard cap stance. The players offer did give concessions to the owners. I dont think it's enough, but it's more than the owners have done.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
DuklaNation said:
Well thats where collective bargaining 101 comes in. Your 1st offer is never your final offer. The owners will definitely come off the low hard cap they have on the table.

I'd like to see a combination soft and hard cap which I think would work well. Soft cap of $40M, hard cap of $60M should enable poorer teams to compete and allows richer teams to spend more than others.

Why haven't they? I think we all know what the owners want, to break the Union. It's not about doing whats best for the game, it's about beating the other guy. If the NHL thinks they can not negoiate then declare an impasse and win. They are sadly mistaken.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
JWI19 said:
1st dont even call me son. If you want to debate dont insult people.

YEs the owners gave the players 6 proposal, all of them were a form of a hard cap. It's the owners who aren't bending from their hard cap stance. The players offer did give concessions to the owners. I dont think it's enough, but it's more than the owners have done.
and it's the players who aren't budging from their free market system... what's the difference? the owners are willing to negotiate concessions within the framework of a hard cap... the players are willing to negotiate concessions within the framework of a free market system... I don't see how the players are suposedly making more of an effort here!

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
JWI19 said:
Why haven't they? I think we all know what the owners want, to break the Union. It's not about doing whats best for the game, it's about beating the other guy. If the NHL thinks they can not negoiate then declare an impasse and win. They are sadly mistaken.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion on the intentions of the owners, but myself, I would have to disagree with them... I don't think that the owners in any way are looking to break the union and I don't think to them this is just a battle of wills to get their own way... I think what this comes down to is that the owners know what's wrong with their finances and they know what it will take to fix it... The players aren't coming anywhere REMOTELY close to fixing the issues with their proposals... The owners are entrenched in their resolve to get a cap because they know that with the idiocy of some of their owners and GMs, a cap is the only way that the business will survive...

Sure it's nice in theory to say that the owners would be fine in a luxury tax system if they could just show some restraint, but how long does that last until Snyder or some other owner decides that his team is close to the cup so let's go spend tons of cash on this 3rd liner who will give them a better shot... then all of a sudden, that contract stands out there as a comparable for agents around the league... A cap will help them restrict thereselves and as pathetic as it is that the owners and GMs need to be babysat by the league, the fact is that they DO INDEED need to be babysat by the league...

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
tgallant said:
and it's the players who aren't budging from their free market system... what's the difference? the owners are willing to negotiate concessions within the framework of a hard cap... the players are willing to negotiate concessions within the framework of a free market system... I don't see how the players are suposedly making more of an effort here!

The players are making a tiny bit of effort. After all their proposal is less than the current CBA. The Owners are sitting on a hard cap. Neither side is doing what it takes to get a deal done. Heck they aren't even talking. And frankly i'm sick of it. All i'm saying is you just can blame the players or just the owners.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
JWI19 said:
The players are making a tiny bit of effort. After all their proposal is less than the current CBA.

I don't see how that's effort, though. Like I said, if all the NHL had to do to please some people is to put a joke on the table, they should go ahead and do it. Just to make this "players are trying" stuff go away.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
tgallant said:
Sure it's nice in theory to say that the owners would be fine in a luxury tax system if they could just show some restraint, but how long does that last until Snyder or some other owner decides that his team is close to the cup so let's go spend tons of cash on this 3rd liner who will give them a better shot... then all of a sudden, that contract stands out there as a comparable for agents around the league... A cap will help them restrict thereselves and as pathetic as it is that the owners and GMs need to be babysat by the league, the fact is that they DO INDEED need to be babysat by the league...

But that same scenario can happen under a hard cap to. Lets say a team is 5 million dollars under the cap, but is missing one of those energy 3rd line grinders. The GM and Owner thinks this guy will make a huge difference on the team. So since they have cap space they sign him to 3 or 4 million dollars. It still throw everything out of wack.

It happens in the NFL and their hard cap. Az Hakim is making a ton of cash from the Lions because at the time they needed a good WR and had a lot of cap room. He is vastly overpaid for his production. It just happened he was one of the best FA's on the market at the time and his value was increased because of that. The thing is not every NFL team is paying their 3rd or 4th WR what Hakim makes. They other owners decided to spend wisely. It's only the Lions looking like fools.

Go Flames Go*

5% roll back is nothing, and a tax at 50 million at what 5% what the hell is that going to do.

THEY MONEY WILL COME WITH DUE TIME, they will still make the money they make right now, when the game is more accepted, and competitve, the tv revenues will grow, increasing DHR, meaning the 55% will not be for only 2.4 billion a year, but more in the 4-5 billion range.

And Revenue Sharing wont solve everything, with the stupid proposal the NHLPA put forward, how are teams gonna share there revenue when they are operating in a loss.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
JWI19 said:
But that same scenario can happen under a hard cap to. Lets say a team is 5 million dollars under the cap, but is missing one of those energy 3rd line grinders. The GM and Owner thinks this guy will make a huge difference on the team. So since they have cap space they sign him to 3 or 4 million dollars. It still throw everything out of wack.

It happens in the NFL and their hard cap. Az Hakim is making a ton of cash from the Lions because at the time they needed a good WR and had a lot of cap room. He is vastly overpaid for his production. It just happened he was one of the best FA's on the market at the time and his value was increased because of that. The thing is not every NFL team is paying their 3rd or 4th WR what Hakim makes. They other owners decided to spend wisely. It's only the Lions looking like fools.

But in the NFL they do not have arbitration where the player can file, us Hakim as an example, and expect to get paid like he does.

That is the difference. When one rich team decides to overpay a player, it affects the 29 other teams, because it affects the demands of 750 NHL players.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
JWI19 said:
The players are making a tiny bit of effort. After all their proposal is less than the current CBA. The Owners are sitting on a hard cap. Neither side is doing what it takes to get a deal done. Heck they aren't even talking. And frankly i'm sick of it. All i'm saying is you just can blame the players or just the owners.
and the players are sitting on a free market system :joker:

i know what your point is, about the players making some concessions, but think about it this way...

The players have made basically one proposal... VERY slightly revamped twice, with the last one being worst than the first...

The owners have made 6 completely different proposals...

The 3 proposals that the players made (really one 1 proposal with slight tweaks) was based off of a luxury tax with revenue sharing BUT STILL was based off of a free market system...

The 6 proposals the owners made were all VERY different, having completely different structures to try and solve the problem... They all were based off of some form of cap on salaries, but all done very differently...

Now how is it that the players are at least trying and the owners aren't?

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Basically in my opinion the problem lies with the fact that the players aren't willing to give up what they will have to give up to make the game healthy...

By their proposal they have made, they have shown that they want to meet the owners half way... That if the league is losing $224 million per year, we'll make concessions so that the league will only lose $112 million per year... And then they are amazed that the owners are not willing to accept it because they have given up SOOO much... I fully agree that they are giving up A LOT!!! BUT IT'S NOT ENOUGH!!!

Meeting the owners half way isn't going to fix the game...

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
dawgbone said:
But in the NFL they do not have arbitration where the player can file, us Hakim as an example, and expect to get paid like he does.

That is the difference. When one rich team decides to overpay a player, it affects the 29 other teams, because it affects the demands of 750 NHL players.

Seeing how Hakim was a UFA signing it wouldn't matter, since in the NHL, UFA signing shouldn't get factored into arbitration hearing. So it's a moot point.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
tgallant said:
Basically in my opinion the problem lies with the fact that the players aren't willing to give up what they will have to give up to make the game healthy...

By their proposal they have made, they have shown that they want to meet the owners half way... That if the league is losing $224 million per year, we'll make concessions so that the league will only lose $112 million per year... And then they are amazed that the owners are not willing to accept it because they have given up SOOO much... I fully agree that they are giving up A LOT!!! BUT IT'S NOT ENOUGH!!!

Meeting the owners half way isn't going to fix the game...

Do you really think even if the owners get what they want it will make the game healthy? I see this lockout as a completely different issue. It's about money, not on the ice product. Having every team spend the same doesn't mean ratings will go up. It doesn't mean we'll see a better brand of hockey. Those are different and could be more important issues to deal with.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
tgallant said:
A cap will help them restrict thereselves and as pathetic as it is that the owners and GMs need to be babysat by the league, the fact is that they DO INDEED need to be babysat by the league...

IMO, the old CBA was agreed to under the premise that each owner would operate their franchises as a business - in a simple, strict sense - to be profitable - to generate more revenue than costs... This ended up being a huge, and incorrect, assumption...

As we've all seen (and I think both sides can agree on) is that different owners have different reasons to own NHL franchises. And most of the owners may not be as stupid as we'd like to think... For example, it turns out that it probably is a great business decision for the NYR to spend and lose a lot of money - with the NYR being a very good tax shelter for the owner... This just so happens to also be great for the players...

Under the old CBA, the NYR (and all other franchises) were definitely entitled to operate their franchise for whatever reason they'd like - even if it was to run it far into the red for tax reasons... Under the new CBA, IMO, this has to change...

How the new CBA should look, I'm not sure... But I do think that owners shouldn't be free to run their teams as tax shelters - IMO, they should be punished severely by paying big $ to those who run their franchises with the goal and desire of being profitable - In other words, pay big $ to those who run their franchises like an NHL franchise was intended to be run...

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
thinkwild said:
Daly was asked about his comments that Cablevision runs the Rangers at a loss to keep its share value high elsewhere. I never said anything like that Daly says. "What I said is, owners in the National Hockey League make decisions on players and payroll for various reasons"

Ha ha Bill. You're such a terrible liar. He really seemed to be getting peeved with the impudence of these broadcasters questioning him non these things.

Both Saskins and Daly seemed to be sweating it out. Do you know what he said on ESPN radio,

Then he says regarding Rangers UROs. "It doesn't just capture what the New York Rangers want to report as revenues, it doesn't."

Well Bill that seems to be the problem now doesnt it. It doesnt count the revenues the way NYR and Philadelphia value them themselves. Its phony. Artificial. No possible way to base an agreement on revenues on when the owners actions dont even agree with those numbers.

It's not phony. Not in the slightest. What it means is that whatever cablevision reports as the revenues for the Rangers, aren't necessarily what the league reports, and there are reasons for that. Cablevision has options to move revenue around throughout the various aspects of their company to balance the books. The URO's however, are not for tax (or tax-evading) purposes. They are to get a handle on the league's finances. Of course these numbers are going to be different... they are for different purposes.

I don't understand your argument though... the league URO's are probably a lot better for the players than the numbers cablevision uses for the Rangers...

Regarding Levitt, Daly says, "And verified the fact that-took his own independent look at this business and said, "what's a fair view of this business?" And he said that the unified report of operations captures it."

Levitts job was to determine whether the UROs fairly represented the business. Levitt said it did. IF we got the big 8 (are there still 8?) to prepare independent versions of UROs, would they all be different and also found a fair way of capturing the business of hockey by Levitt? Did Levitt say the UROs are the only possible way of preparing UROs to capture the businees, or just the ones that best make owners lots of money now.

Levitt's job was as follows:

A. Whether the instructions governing the report of financial information requested by the League's URO adequately and appropriately account for and captures the relevant revenues and expenses associated with operating a professional hockey franchise in the NHL.

B. Whether, based on the use of such verification and other procedures as I deemed appropriate, the member clubs of the NHL have accurately reported the financial information requested by the League's UROs.

C. Whether the treatment of affiliated or related company income in the URO is: (a) reasonable for the purposes of measuring the relevant revenues and expenses associated with operating a professional hockey franchise in the NHL; (b) similar to the treatment of affiliated or related company income in the calculation of Basketball Related Income ("BRI"), as that term is defined in the NBA/NBPA collective bargaining agreement; and (c) similar to the treatment of affiliated or related company income in the calculation of Defined Gross Revenue ("DGR"), as that term is defined in the NFL/NFLPA collective bargaining agreement.

D. Whether the current relationship between League-wide player costs and League-wide revenues is consistent with reasonable and sound business practices in this industry.

His conclusion was that:

A. The instructions governing the report of financial information by the teams through the URO, adequately and appropriately account for and capture all revenues and expenses associated with operating a professional hockey franchise in the NHL.

B. Based upon the verification and other procedures as set forth below, it is my opinion that the teams of the NHL have, in all material respects, accurately reported the financial information requested by the League's UROs. The combined URO presents a comprehensive and accurate statement, in all material respects, of the combined financial results of the entire League, its teams and affiliated and related-parties with respect to all hockey and hockey-related businesses of the League and its member teams. For the 2002-2003 season, the NHL has reported combined operating revenues of $1.996 billion and a combined operating loss of $273 million before accounting for interest and depreciation expenses.

C. The treatment of affiliated or related-party income in the combined URO reasonably measures the relevant revenues and expenses associated with operating a professional hockey franchise in the NHL in all material respects and is similar to the agreed-upon measures used in the NBA collective bargaining agreement in calculating the related-party revenues that it shares with the players.

D. The current relationship between League-wide player costs and League-wide revenues is inconsistent with reasonable and sound business practices. Player costs of $1.494 billion or 75% of revenues substantially exceed such relationships in both the NBA and the NFL as those relationships are set forth in their collective bargaining agreements

You asked and answered your own question...

Is it fair? Yes

Is it the only way? No... but it's fair, what is the problem?

Here was a great Daly quote. Bob asks if Daly would just tell the players, yes we made mistakes, its our fault, we need your help.

Daly:
Well, I'm not saying any-I mean, I don't think it's true to say nobody-I mean, everybody makes mistakes at times. So I'm not going to say that the league office is not guilty of having made mistakes, I'm not going to say our owners are not guilty of having made mistakes, and I'm not going to say our general managers at times are not guilty of making mistakes. But the problem is, we're a league that's lost almost $500 million in the last 2 years and $1.8 billion over the term of this collective bargaining agreement, and that's a joint problem, that's all of our problems, and we should work together to try to solve it.

Cant say it can you Bill? We should work together to try and solve it? lol

So you are mad he didn't roast his bosses for making mistakes? How many times have you pointed out the errors your boss made?

He acknowledged that there were mistakes made by members, which we know... but he also points out that while there were mistakes, there was also a system in place that didn't allow for either the correction of the mistakes, or have preventative measures in place to keep those mistakes from compounding.

And as for the Atlanta owners comments, he says he has only been here a few months and been to one board meeting. Gary has talked to him and he now regrets what he said. Daly actually tries to discredit him. I thought that was pretty funny. Uncalled for, unauthorized and dont represent our views. He is a junior owner with no attendance, a rookie, and doesnt really know whats going on. Presumably he is just going to follow the rich owners who have the real power.

You mean like the PA "getting to" guys like Madden and Thomas? What's the problem? If the players are retracting statements all the time, why can't the league? The Atlanta owner, who isn't even a majority owner, so he doesn't even speak for his team, may feel replacement players are the way to go, but it doesn't mean the board of governors feels that way, which is probably why he was chastized for it. It's not that he is expected to toe the company line, but if the NHL board of governors has decided that they will not be using replacement players, he is certainly out of line hinting that is what they will do.

We want to negotiate a deal witjh the players association, not break the union. Thats why we're here on TV refusing to bargain. The sooner they accept our way, the sooner we can negotiate

Or the sooner the players realize that the current system doesn't work, or that their salaries eat too much of league revenues, the sooner they can negotiate. Hell up until last night, when Saskins finally admitted the old system didn't work, most of the players were talking about how fine the system was... The owners aren't expecting the players to work for peanuts, and the PA has finally acknowleged that the old system was seriously flawed.

Daly: They dont want to believe our numbers thats their problem, not ours.
Little hot under the collar bill?

Why shouldn't he be? The PA does nothing but accuse the owners of lying about revenues, while at the same time refusing every single offer the owners have made to look at the books. Why do you think they hired Levitt? It's because they were sick and tired of the PA whining about them lying about it, so they hired an impartial 3rd party (like most companies do), to go and do it, and naturally the players don't beleive it either.

Daly suggests if the union want to stand behind their numbers, thats something were willing to do. Its all fine and well I guess to say lowering the rookie cap, changing bonuses and instituting revenue sharing through payroll taxes will saves so much money, but prove it. Hold back part of your salaries, and if we foolishly overspend thiniing we can get it back from the escrow fund, we can recover our losses.

Stupid I know, but maybe its a path.

One intersting thing from Daly was when he suggested the NFL didnt really break the union. Well they did, but then the NFLPA won anti trust suits which left the owners in so much liability they agreed to a cap.

Ah yes... that horrible cap thing... the one the players agreed to despite having the owners by their short curleys. What a terrible thing! So terrible, that despite having all kinds of leverage, the players still willingly accepted it!

Is this his plan? Turn the league into a minor league, lower its revenues, lose all the court cases, and then say well you have to negoitiate with us now?

Turn it into a minor league?

Newsflash, it is a minor league!

Bill Daly: Well, there's a lot of reasonable ways of addressing the revenue disparity and we think we have better ways of addressing them

Well lets hear them Bill. IF there lots of ways, why is it cap or the highway?

When the players give assurances that their proposal will save the money it proposes, maybe the league will put forth better ideas... until then, neither side has put forth a very good offer for both sides... and I don't expect that to change for a while... it's called negotiating.

Well why wouldnt they? Its like he really doesnt know. Hockeys revenue have grown faster than any other league, EVEN THE MAJOR ONES!

Hey, I don't know either... except that it means a little less money than they are making right now. And that's the issue. The players don't want to have their salaries tied to revenues, because their salaries out-grow revenues by a substantial amount, meaning they would take a hit financially. But it means a more profitable league, where the opportunity to make more money is sitting right there.

You dont want to be a major league any more Bill? This is good marketing? At least we know from the horses mouth, or one side of the horse anyway, its not a revenue generation problem. We fans can stop with ways of trying to make them more money.

They aren't major league... they haven't been for a long time. Much like Basketball in the early 80's, hockey is struggling. Of course it isn't a revenue generationg problem... it's a $2+ bil industry here... which is enough for 750 players to make enough money to have successful financial careers, but at the same time, they shouldn't be in the same pay scale as players in leagues with 4 and 5 times the amount of revenue. It's common sense. The league, outside of a T.V. deal, has essentially maxed out it's incoming revenue potential. Ticket prices in most cities are at the level where they maximize revenue. But there is still enough money to keep 750 players, and 30 owners very happy.

I love this answer, what a lawyer. Gord asks if it 6 teams losing 75% of the money.

Ha ha ha So lets get Dalys math down. 75% of the $224mil in losses DO conme from 6 teams, and $130mil from the other 14 teams. Let me get out my calculator. Oops,.my fault, losses are back up to $300mil. this week. Because in this case we arent looking at a league overall number but the individual losses. We then take those individual losses to come up with a general league wide number that also applies to the teams making money.

Unless of course he simply made a mistake, and gave the $130 mil as the 2 year total (which in most cases, he was referring to the past 2 years as opposed to just the last year). A fairly simple error, which can be taken either way.

Bill Daly: I'm not saying anything-I'm saying we're going to negotiate until we have an agreement

Saskin calls it : Concessionary bargaining. An interesting term. Does Daly agree?

Bob asked Sakin: are fans wrong?
Saskin cant say yes. But thats the answer. We havent been provided with accurate enough information to be right

When Gord reminded how the public rose up in arms against the idea of tax money going to millionaire hockey players. It was going to billionaire owners.

In order to subsidize the money the difference between Canadian and American dollars, which went to the players.

Here was an impressive statemtnt from Saskin:
Certainly I would invest my money in the Edmonton Oilers. Especially with cdn dollar now.

Of course he would... but lets look at that... with a $0.75 Canadian dollar, and the Oilers getting swept in the 1st round, the team will make about $3mil profit on a $32mil payroll.

Guess what? The dollar isn't always at $0.75...

Yankess and Red Sox an example of something not working. Yet, what are the ratings for this series.

It's playoffs... with the 2 most popular teams... that's like if Detroit and Philly or Detroit and Toronto were in the finals, the ratings would go through the roof.

Why even bother with the 10 teams in the American League who are simply nothing more than doormats, only there to inflate the win total of about 4 or 5 teams. How about Oakland, who have done nothing put develop players for other teams.

How sick would Oakland be with Giambi and Tejada still in the lineup? They barely missed this past season, despite once again losing a top player.

Well hey, if you convert everyone to a Yankee or Red Sox fan, you are fine, but I don't think that will happen. Do you think baseball is healthy because the Bosox and Yanks are in the ALCS and are getting good ratings? How about the ratings from the World Series 2 years ago?

Any sport gets good ratings when you put the 2 most popular teams against one another...

WHy should Cinderalla win against Det. Bob? Is it to be expected to happen often? IS the run itself not success enough for a cinderella?

Why should Detroit be one of the select teams who can keep their players? Why should Detroit have so much power, that when they negotiate a contract, it effects 29 other franchises, some of who so much that they then need to rely on being a cinderella team to have any kind of success.

There is nothing wrong with having a cinderella story... but it's the same thing over and over again. You have your top 6, who are always at the top (and who always will be based on the current market), and then you have your Sabres, or Ducks, or Caps who have a nice run, then are gone from the upper echelon.

If we didnt have an impotent bunch of mindless sycophants in the NHL Fan association, season ticket holders would start demanding their money back now in an organized display of power. And then make them beg us to renew. Obviously our demands will be for lower ticket prices too when they get their heads out of their butts.

How on earth are fans going to get lower ticket prices when revenues are maxed and the players won't accept a paycut?

Not very bright are you? I mean in order for the owners to lower ticket prices, and acheive the cost certainty they are looking for, the players would have to take a big time dip in salaries... it ain't gonna happen.

The numbers they are throwing out now are based on current revenues, and if current revenues drop, guess what?

The players will have to take that financial hit!

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
JWI19 said:
Seeing how Hakim was a UFA signing it wouldn't matter, since in the NHL, UFA signing shouldn't get factored into arbitration hearing. So it's a moot point.

But at the same time, that only effects the lions. Sure, they had cap room and signed a guy for more than maybe they should have... that will happen no matter what system you use.

The idea of the Cap is to prevent the lions from doing it 3 or 4 times, or with bigger marquee players.

How does that effect the other teams? Very little. If a team wants to spend money on a role player, that is up to them... that's the idea about leaving cap space, it's so you have room to move.

It's not going to drive up salaries around the league... in a free market, the player goes to the highest bidder, which in most cases means the team with the most revenues... however in a cap, it goes to the team with the best offer who has the cap space... which may not be the team with the biggest revenues.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
The statement from Daly about the losses is true, we are talking about different kind of numbers.

The league as a whole lost $224 million. This number is a total and includes teams that are making money.
You can't include the money making teams, because they don't give anything to the teams which lose money.
While six teams might be responsible for 75% of the $224 million, the other teams still can have a loss of $130 million, because all 30 teams are included in this number.

The losses without the money making teams would be around $300 million, leaving ten teams with a gain of roughly $75 million.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Sanderson said:
The statement from Daly about the losses is true, we are talking about different kind of numbers.

The league as a whole lost $224 million. This number is a total and includes teams that are making money.
You can't include the money making teams, because they don't give anything to the teams which lose money.
While six teams might be responsible for 75% of the $224 million, the other teams still can have a loss of $130 million, because all 30 teams are included in this number.

The losses without the money making teams would be around $300 million, leaving ten teams with a gain of roughly $75 million.

Makes sense.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
JWI19 said:
Do you really think even if the owners get what they want it will make the game healthy? I see this lockout as a completely different issue. It's about money, not on the ice product. Having every team spend the same doesn't mean ratings will go up. It doesn't mean we'll see a better brand of hockey. Those are different and could be more important issues to deal with.

On ice product will benefit because you are allowing 30 teams to play on a level field. This means all teams can now be competitive. Teams have equal chances at success. Fans get more excited (especially small markets) because their team actually has a shot now. Games will be close and competitive.

You may even see an end to the 'defense first' mentality since that system was adopted by teams who didn't have the finances to 'buy' a highly skilled team and had to revert to a strong defence, strong goalie, good defensive coaching style of hockey to be competitive.

Yes, what I am saying is speculation but there is a much better chance that the on-ice product will improve with a restricted CBA than with the current one because we already know what happened with that one.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
chriss_co said:
On ice product will benefit because you are allowing 30 teams to play on a level field. This means all teams can now be competitive. Teams have equal chances at success. Fans get more excited (especially small markets) because their team actually has a shot now. Games will be close and competitive.

You may even see an end to the 'defense first' mentality since that system was adopted by teams who didn't have the finances to 'buy' a highly skilled team and had to revert to a strong defence, strong goalie, good defensive coaching style of hockey to be competitive.

Yes, what I am saying is speculation but there is a much better chance that the on-ice product will improve with a restricted CBA than with the current one because we already know what happened with that one.

I would say lets look at the NFL because they have parity thru a salary cap. Where as defensive minded teams have dominated the Super Bowl minus the Rams one year. And even with the Rams they didn't win until they lured Lovie Smith away from the Bucs and he built a decent defence that year. When rosters are turning over year after year it's easier to teach defence than offensive. The NFL is a boring product today compared to the early 90's.

And i think we all know with hockey, any team can play good defence with the right coaching and average talent.

Randall Graves*

Why would Daly and Bettman care about the workers being laid off?Bettman is STILL making 3 million dollars and daly is being paid as well.

It's all the people that NEED jobs that are being laid off.

Shame on Bettman, shame on Saskin for condoning others for losing jobs and then he and his union complaining about a damn cap.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Sanderson said:

I remember talking about this with Russian_fan on a post a month ago or so. I think as I pressed the submit button, I knew this and pressed it anyway. So. Shame on me.

tgallant said:
Sure it's nice in theory to say that the owners would be fine in a luxury tax system if they could just show some restraint, but how long does that last until Snyder or some other owner decides that his team is close to the cup so let's go spend tons of cash on this 3rd liner who will give them a better shot
Whats going to stop him when he's using replacement players, and realizes the cup is in reach if he can just entice one of those players across the line. What would it take? Hmmm.

tgallant said:
A cap will help them restrict thereselves and as pathetic as it is that the owners and GMs need to be babysat by the league, the fact is that they DO INDEED need to be babysat by the league...

Babysat? Should that be a clause or a preamble? How about instead of babysitters, we have bankruptcy trustees approving their spending? I dont see how you can design a system intended to work for a bunch of businessmen that need to be babysat lest they lose all their money. This cant be the problem.

I in the Eye said:
And most of the owners may not be as stupid as we'd like to think... For example, it turns out that it probably is a great business decision for the NYR to spend and lose a lot of money - with the NYR being a very good tax shelter for the owner
Im not sure if the Rangers are actually using it as a tax shelter. Maybe thats what it is. Im thinking its more the allocation of revenues between the intertwined companies. What gets reported where.

I in the Eye said:
In other words, pay big $ to those who run their franchises like an NHL franchise was intended to be run...

This has got to be a really difficult thing to do. It was the synergy of many of the deals that provided the opportunity for the ownership. Maybe it would be a lot easier to do the accounting if they were all single owners like a mom and pop company with a single unassailable set of books any high school student could keep, but there is no way they can be intended to run this way. They are many different structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad