TSN: Horton out, Bergeron probably in for WJC

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by smileymcadam, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smileymcadam

smileymcadam Registered User

Home Page:
    Looks like Keenan won't let Horton go, kind of, but it's looking good for Bergeron. Would like to see both there. Source is TSN's website.

2. Here's the direct link to the article:

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?ID=104793

Also remember that Horton just started playing the beginning of this month (though he's supposedly playing on San Antonio's top line). Maybe its an issue about injury concerns or needing him in San Antonio this yr...nothing has been said in local papers down here that I saw.

3. sharkyz15

sharkyz15 Registered User

Home Page:
    what are the chances his spot goes to either steve bernier or andrew ladd?

4. Crossbar

Crossbar Registered User

Too bad, Horton was really looking forward to playing in the WJC.

5. Speed Demon

Speed Demon Registered User

I hate school.
    Frig... I hate how coaches don't let their young players represent their countries.

6. flamesfan01800

flamesfan01800 Registered User

Home Page:
    There is a different story about this on sportsnet.ca that says Florida is prepared to let him go on the 20th on Dec but Canada has always announced its roster on the 16th and have never saved or added anyone for any reason besides injury of course

7. mazmin

mazmin Go! Jets! Go!

Personal Trainer / FM
    Damn. At least on team Canada we have the depth to make up for this loss but I never get to see this kid play. :banghead:

Hopefully Keenan changes his mind (yeah right).

8. Street Hawk

Street Hawk Registered User

Home Page:
    Policy...

This all goes back to the 1992 Tournament, the last time Canada dropped in players who didn't attend the Camp. It was decided that for the betterment of the TEAM, that each player, outside of injury has to participate in the Evaluation Process.

Personally, I don't see Keenan's desire to have Horton on the Rampage roster for what probably mounts to maybe 4 games give or take during the evaluation process. Horton, if he attends is a shoe in for a roster spot, but that's not the issue with Team Canada. It's making sure that everyone there knows that the team comes first, ahead of any 1 player, as well as to build chemistry between Horton and whomever his linemates will be.

My view is that this is Horton's final chance to represent Canada at the Junior Level and given that there is no end in sight in the NHL work stoppage, this provides a great experience for the Panthers to have one of their best young players thrust into a pressure packed situation. The experience of being expected to win, an obvious for any Canadian hockey team, and being looked upon by others to personally perform well and be a leader on the team can only help Horton down the line.

9. jcorb58

jcorb58 Registered User

Its a US conspiracy, Keenan will be no longer allowed to coach in the states if he helps better team Canada. HA HA

10. Brock

Brock Registered User

Home Page:
    Yeah that's pretty much how I see the issue.

It would be a great experience for Horton and I frankly can't see why he wouldn't be let go, since there isn't an NHL season.

Some people say it's because "well he could get hurt again." So? He could just as easily get hurt playing in the AHL. If he's going to injure his shoulder again, or any other part of his body, it's going to happen.

I think this is just Mike Keenan playing hardball on the issue (as he loves to do). I still expect Horton (as well as Bergeron and Burns) will be there when all is said and done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.