TSN forget Ovechkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
You guys are God Damn rediculous. He is not on the list because in the one single guy who wrote the peice's opinion he wasn't one of the top 10 guys to watch. All you have to do is get the necessary schooling and feild experience to be the "go to guy" for the CP when they put these things together. Then your very own opinion might come into play. Until then shut the hell up about other peoples opinions being wrong or stupid. He probably thinks your list is Pejorative Slured, like tonnes of other people would.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
ryz said:
You guys are God Damn rediculous. He is not on the list because in the one single guy who wrote the peice's opinion he wasn't one of the top 10 guys to watch. All you have to do is get the necessary schooling and feild experience to be the "go to guy" for the CP when they put these things together. Then your very own opinion might come into play. Until then shut the hell up about other peoples opinions being wrong or stupid. He probably thinks your list is Pejorative Slured, like tonnes of other people would.

two n's in tons is Pejorative Slured.... :sarcasm:

cantskate

Sep 22, 2005
On the ice
I agree with Mack. He probably won't do as well as he might on another team with better linemates. On the other hand, he should get a lot of ice time this year, which could help him develop.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
cantskate said:
I agree with Mack. He probably won't do as well as he might on another team with better linemates. On the other hand, he should get a lot of ice time this year, which could help him develop.
That being said though the NHL and the NHL media should be talking this kid up big time because he really is that good. IMO the NHL is missing the mark if they just go Crosby-crazy and neglect some of the other great young players in the league or coming along. Plus AO is very media friendly from what I've seen.

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
Sammy said:
Stupid comment.
Actually, of the 10, only 6 are Canadian.Thats pretty close to the % in the NHL.
I am sure ESPN or some other American network would never put an American on their top 10 lists, as we really know how much the US media likes to focus on athletes from outside the US.

:sarcasm: = sarcasm

Learn it.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Mackattack said:
If Ovechkin scores 50 points this year, I will be very suprised. Washington, as it stands now, is probably one of the worst teams to be iced in a long time. He's gonna have nobody to play with!

Ovechkin will be playing 1st line minutes all year and leading the Caps pp. Big minutes. He's been the Caps' best player all preseason. He's going to get his share of points.

Linemates didn't hurt Kovalchuck, Nash, Heatley, etc. and you could make a strong argument for Ovechkin's linemates this year over any of these players' previous supporting cast.

Vic Rattlehead*

Rabid Ranger said:
Or Brandon Bochenski....... Or alot of players for that matter.
It's because they are rookies. After opening night, all rookies should be put into the database. Crosby was the only exception, since he's already ranked by Yahoo.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Ovehckin with 3 goals 1 assist verses Pittsburgh tonight, 7 shots on goal, 2 hits, 1 takeaway, 2 blocked shots.

Ovechkin is right, let Crosby take the media hype.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Ovechkin HAT TRICK. 4 pts tonight and counting. :clap:

"" scored on the shootout.

Last edited:

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Damn, and in a 4-3 win, too. Really raised his play now that Zubrus is back in the lineup, and Friesen and Sykora haven't played yet. Maybe they'll be in there tomorrow.

They televised this in the DC area, and this guy's something else.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Sammy said:
Stupid comment.
Actually, of the 10, only 6 are Canadian.Thats pretty close to the % in the NHL.
I am sure ESPN or some other American network would never put an American on their top 10 lists, as we really know how much the US media likes to focus on athletes from outside the US.

neither of these points is at all relevant to the tsn list. if the person who made the comment about crosby being canadian and ovechkin being russian were an american network which boosts american players, or was attacking tsn from an nationalistic standpoint (which i doubt b/c the discussion was about crosby/ovechkin), then you'd have a point. what stupid american networks do isn't relevant. 2 wrongs don't make right.

the list is stupid. legwand???????? nilsson??? nash but not kovalchuk?? garon? and why don't they combine conklin with markkanen; lindros with allison? vanek but not ovechkin; and not lehtonen? i'm also a little surprised they didn't mention gretzky behind the bench, even tho he's not a player.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
Drake1588 said:
Damn, and in a 4-3 win, too. Really raised his play now that Zubrus is back in the lineup, and Friesen and Sykora haven't played yet. Maybe they'll be in there tomorrow.

They televised this in the DC area, and this guy's something else.

So except from statistics, how is he adapting to
NHL? Did he make nice moves, showed good speed?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Vladiator said:
So except from statistics, how is he adapting to
NHL? Did he make nice moves, showed good speed?
Well, tonight isn't really an adequate barometer, given Pittsburgh's roster. If the Flyers bring their nearly starting roster tomorrow, that should help quite a bit.

He looks fast, creative, and made slick passes at top speed that his teammates were not quick enough in order to convert in time, but that will come. Showed strong skating, defensive responsibility, some hitting, took hits to make plays, let rip a slapshot from the point that Halpern deflected for a goal. Showed the very fast and heavy shot for which he's known, and charged the net (resulting in one of his goals). All in all, it seems he's adapting very well. I saw him in person a week ago in his first pre-season game, and he was noticeably more comfortable tonight. I'd say he's adapting quickly, but the quality of the opposition in his debut a week ago was much better than tonight, so it's hard to compare. I'm going to the game tomorrow against Philly, and hope to get another read then.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
cantskate said:
TSN published a list of the ten players to watch this season.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=138113

Some were rookies like Crosby, some were getting their chance after a few years in the shadows, and others were veterans with injury histories or other issues (e.g. Lindros). I found it strange, however, that they omitted A. Ovechkin from their list. In his draft year, he was really highly regarded. Maybe the lockout caused some forgetfulness, but I don't see how they could overlook this guy.

:dunno:

Sammy*

nik jr said:
neither of these points is at all relevant to the tsn list. if the person who made the comment about crosby being canadian and ovechkin being russian were an american network which boosts american players, or was attacking tsn from an nationalistic standpoint (which i doubt b/c the discussion was about crosby/ovechkin), then you'd have a point. what stupid american networks do isn't relevant. 2 wrongs don't make right.

the list is stupid. legwand???????? nilsson??? nash but not kovalchuk?? garon? and why don't they combine conklin with markkanen; lindros with allison? vanek but not ovechkin; and not lehtonen? i'm also a little surprised they didn't mention gretzky behind the bench, even tho he's not a player.
Take your meds there buddy. You'll feel alot better.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
HockeyCritter said:
His second goal was amazing ----- Carron never saw it coming.

I was surprised at his ability to anticipate gaffs. He almost caught Caron out of the net twice on simple plays and picked off a few passes.

Unteachable.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
EroCaps said:
I was surprised at his ability to anticipate gaffs. He almost caught Caron out of the net twice on simple plays and picked off a few passes.

Unteachable.

As terrific as that goal was (perfect placement and quick release) the thing I was most amazed was how Ovechkin stole the pass and turned from defense to offense in the blink of an eye.

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
Drake1588 said:
Well, tonight isn't really an adequate barometer, given Pittsburgh's roster. If the Flyers bring their nearly starting roster tomorrow, that should help quite a bit.

He looks fast, creative, and made slick passes at top speed that his teammates were not quick enough in order to convert in time, but that will come. Showed strong skating, defensive responsibility, some hitting, took hits to make plays, let rip a slapshot from the point that Halpern deflected for a goal. Showed the very fast and heavy shot for which he's known, and charged the net (resulting in one of his goals). All in all, it seems he's adapting very well. I saw him in person a week ago in his first pre-season game, and he was noticeably more comfortable tonight. I'd say he's adapting quickly, but the quality of the opposition in his debut a week ago was much better than tonight, so it's hard to compare. I'm going to the game tomorrow against Philly, and hope to get another read then.

I totally agree. I watched the game on the NHL Network, and he was the most noticeable player on the ice. Of course, you have to take the level of competition he was up against tonight into account, but he was outstanding. Not only skilled, but very aware as well. He made a couple of beautiful passes on the power play, and there was a point in the third period where he and his two linemates(Zubrus and either Cassels or Halpern) were all behind the Penguins net when they turned the puck over, causing an odd man rush the other way. As the Penguins hustled back up-ice, you could see Ovechkin working his butt off to get back, and managed to take away the odd-man advantage.

I haven't seen Crosby play any games yet, so I can't compare the two, but I was extremely impressed with what I saw from Ovechkin tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad