TSN/Fan 590/Sportsnet: NHLPA schedules noon conf call to discuss with players

Status
Not open for further replies.

vopatsrash

Dec 9, 2004
Jobu said:
Makes sense. I still question whether or not they need to give everyone a copy of the document, or at least an Executive Summary. I wouldn't want to be voting on something I didn't know about. But I guess a one or two page skinny would work... e.g., cap #, escrow, salary arb changes, min salary, etc.

it's possible they've known about most of the points for a awhile and just have to explain anything new from the past couple of days to the players, which might be minimal.

If the LA Times article last week was partially accurate, it's possible the deal has in essence been done for a week and everyone has already perused the info.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Tiki said:
Exactly. Most players would not take the time to read a 600 page legal document.

They'll get the cliff notes version and vote on it.

I agree. The sides can put together a skinny for their constituents (likely same as what will be included in the press release), and that will work. Players don't need to know and won't read the 400 pages on revenue determination.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
sveiglar said:
Anyway, what are the players saying 'yay' or 'nay' too? None of them (apart from a very select few) will know anything about the deal. Will they be told "cap, floor, UFA, length, now vote!"?

that is the problem. you would think these players would want some time for their executive board and lawyers to break down the specifics of the deal, so they know what they're voting on. i'm sure the majority has an idea of what the generalities are, but it seems very hurried if they really are trying to ratify it by the players today.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Jobu said:
I agree. The sides can put together a skinny for their constituents (likely same as what will be included in the press release), and that will work. Players don't need to know and won't read the 400 pages on revenue determination.

Very true, but even getting the Cliff notes version out to the players will take more than a day.

Regardless, it's good news that they are initiating the process immediately.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
From Sportsnet:

"The NHLPA has scheduled a noon ET conference call with the player reps to discuss the details of the impending deal."

Can we get in on that call?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jobu said:
From Sportsnet:

"The NHLPA has scheduled a noon ET conference call with the player reps to discuss the details of the impending deal."

Can we get in on that call?

This is probably what it is. There will be no vote. Unless everyone already was told what was in it and told to be ready to vote immedietaly

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Tiki said:
:biglaugh:

I'm very pessimistic on how Spungo would vote.

I think you need to modify your avatar for this week to Spongebob holding up Sportsnet's "Done Deal" logo with the title "Are you Spungo worthy?"

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Having the player reps on a call makes sense - what would also make sense is a conference call/in-person vote with the executive committee to clear that hurdle.

I don't expect a full vote until Monday (at the earliest, from either side).

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
This is probably what it is. There will be no vote. Unless everyone already was told what was in it and told to be ready to vote immedietaly

As long as we get a press release that a tentative deal has been reached with timelines on ratification and when the league will be open for business, that is cool.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Jobu said:
As long as we get a press release that a tentative deal has been reached with timelines on ratification and when the league will be open for business, that is cool.

You should change the thread title now that we've had clarification on what is actually happening.

Figgles*

What happens if Lemieux votes yes as an owner but no as a player?

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
Jobu said:
Lemieux pays dues but is not a card-carrying member of the union. So, no.

Just because he owns an NHL team? Hardly seems fair - I mean, it seems like Keith Primeau has owned the Leafs for years now! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I never get tired of that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->