TSN/Fan 590/Sportsnet: NHLPA schedules noon conf call to discuss with players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
...with player reps to inform them of the new deal. Unsure of when ratification will commence.

Fan590 still saying that the call is to "ratify the deal," but I think they are misuing the word.

EDIT - TSN now reporting it from the story on their main page ("In addition, the NHLPA has called a noon et conference call with its the player representatives.").

Last edited:

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Thirded. I can't see them ratifying this deal that quickly though, how is this possible. If it is the case though....holy crap. So does this mean the draft lottery will be held tomorrow, the season starting friday? ;)

I would imagine this would just be the player rep discussion and not the full 700+ membership vote.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
They said Sportsnet is reporting this. Did anyone see it on Sportsnet? I can't find it on their site.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
How to heck to you get over 700 players on multiple continents on a conference call on a few hours notice? Do they only need X number of votes for it to be ratified, or is it an everybody-must-vote scenario?

This seems difficult to accomplish, to say the least.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
DR said:
how do 600+ players vote on a conference call ?

dr

alphabetically.....Abid you go first....Zubov take a nap!

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
sveiglar said:
How to heck to you get over 700 players on multiple continents on a conference call on a few hours notice? Do they only need X number of votes for it to be ratified, or is it an everybody-must-vote scenario?

yeah it does....perhaps the players have to call their team reps and say 'yay' or 'nay' and the rep then has to phone in the results to the exec. committee. that's the only way i could think of to make it semi-managable.

Vic Rattlehead*

This will take about 5 days to finish. You can't just do ratification in one day with over 700 players.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
sveiglar said:

I agree. McKenzie still says a player ratification vote meeting will happen in Toronto. However, I have to think that such a meeting would be even more difficult to arrange on short notice, having to get everyone fly in.

I undertand the players need some explanation (reason why I can't see ratification happening today), but not sure a face-to-face meeting is necessary.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
sveiglar said:

it's not like they all didn't know what was going on.

I doubt 700 guys will be on conference call. They don't need 700 to vote yes. 400 is different.

vopatsrash

Dec 9, 2004
team rep calls each player to get vote. 30 team rep roll call. Team rep says 20-5 yes or 13-12 no. Votes are added up, ratification passes or fails. That's my guess.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
sirkraut_82 said:
yeah it does....perhaps the players have to call their team reps and say 'yay' or 'nay' and the rep then has to phone in the results to the exec. committee. that's the only way i could think of to make it semi-managable.

Anyway, what are the players saying 'yay' or 'nay' too? None of them (apart from a very select few) will know anything about the deal. Will they be told "cap, floor, UFA, length, now vote!"?

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
vopatsrash said:
team rep calls each player to get vote. 30 team rep roll call. Team rep says 20-5 yes or 13-12 no. Votes are added up, ratification passes or fails. That's my guess.

Makes sense. I still question whether or not they need to give everyone a copy of the document, or at least an Executive Summary. I wouldn't want to be voting on something I didn't know about. But I guess a one or two page skinny would work... e.g., cap #, escrow, salary arb changes, min salary, etc.

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
Wow if this is all true they sure are planning for the perfect day (as not sports are occurring today, almost at all). In addition, if they had it done by noon it would give plenty of time on ESPN, TSN, or whatever to dominate the sports media today-well TSN anyway

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
go kim johnsson said:
it's not like they all didn't know what was going on.

Actually I couldn't disagree more. I think the vast majority of players have only heard snippets of the rumoured deal if that, and those through many different media lenses. Informing the electorate will take longer than a few hours.

Tiki

Mar 1, 2002
Goo Lagoon
Visit site
Jobu said:
Makes sense. I still question whether or not they need to give everyone a copy of the document, or at least an Executive Summary. I wouldn't want to be voting on something I didn't know about. But I guess a one or two page skinny would work... e.g., cap #, escrow, salary arb changes, min salary, etc.

Exactly. Most players would not take the time to read a 600 page legal document.

They'll get the cliff notes version and vote on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->