TSN: Draft Lottery on TSN at 4 est Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Spongebob said:
Read the article again. The balls will be drawn behind closed doors. The results will be made public on TV starting with #30.
At least there will be some drama for fans there.

It would be almost impossible to do a weighted draw from 30 to 1, that why I said they should do a live non weighted draft from 30 to the #1 pick.

anyone else now hoping the 1st team announced is Toronto or NYR? :D

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
It will be awesome, once they start counting down from 30 to 1...

And the 30th pick goes to.... (*Fans of the team curse, and ***** about the system being unfair*)

They should use envelopes too. Even though we could figure out the first pick after he reads who gets number 2, the sheer drama in revealing the other 29 picks would be unmatched.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I betcha they don't want to pick the ping pong balls live, because they have it fixed so that the Rangers will get Crosby :D
But seriously is there any logical explanation as to why they won't show it live?

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Chileiceman said:
I betcha they don't want to pick the ping pong balls live, because they have it fixed so that the Rangers will get Crosby :D
But seriously is there any logical explanation as to why they won't show it live?
Yes, they have to pick the team who picks 1st 1st so the cannot announced the #1 pick last.

Lanny MacDonald*

Spongebob said:
And #30 goes to .................the New York Rangers.........oooohhhhhh

Tough break. :biglaugh:

I suspect that the drawing will be done 1 thru 30, but the reveal 30 thru 1. The teams with the most balls in the machine will have the best odds of being selected, so it would make no sense to do the drawing in a reverse order. And as a team who has extra balls gets selected the other balls must be removed from the machine to not skew the rest of the results. This will take time and will take a helluva lot longer than 1/2 hour. The results will be shown, but nothing more. We can at least hope for a chick with really big... hockey nets... to be on hand to jump around after each reveal, to add some excitment to a complete waste of time.

:amazed:

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
AHHHHHHHHH I got it now.
everyone gets ping pong balls.
New york get slightly smaller BALLS and the tube only fits those ones.

it take the balls an extra 5 minutes before one of the New York balls finally goes through the tube.

" And round and round they go, where she stops everyone knows"

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Tricolore#20 said:
It will be awesome, once they start counting down from 30 to 1...

And the 30th pick goes to.... (*Fans of the team curse, and ***** about the system being unfair*)

They should use envelopes too. Even though we could figure out the first pick after he reads who gets number 2, the sheer drama in revealing the other 29 picks would be unmatched.

It's gonna be fun! :handclap:

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
The draft lottery, now a live event instead of the original idea of holding it behind closed doors, will be held around 4 p.m. EDT (TSN).

I guess that doesn't mean that the ping pong balls will be live?

Shawnski

Jan 8, 2004
The Iconoclast said:
I suspect that the drawing will be done 1 thru 30, but the reveal 30 thru 1. The teams with the most balls in the machine will have the best odds of being selected, so it would make no sense to do the drawing in a reverse order. And as a team who has extra balls gets selected the other balls must be removed from the machine to not skew the rest of the results. This will take time and will take a helluva lot longer than 1/2 hour. The results will be shown, but nothing more. We can at least hope for a chick with really big... hockey nets... to be on hand to jump around after each reveal, to add some excitment to a complete waste of time.

Actually, they could have done the 30 through 1 quite easily.

Instead of the four teams having three balls, give them only one. And those teams that have only one ball, give them three.

Then draw balls one after another, 30th through 1st. The odds would be the same (or quite similar I think), and if a "duplicate" team came up, ignor them. No having to remove balls, just plug through it.

creative giant*

The Iconoclast said:
We can at least hope for a chick with really big... hockey nets... to be on hand to jump around after each reveal, to add some excitment to a complete waste of time.

You're right, I'd rather be watching some dog show on TSN Friday afternoon than this.
:sarcasm:

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Shawnski said:

Instead of the four teams having three balls, give them only one. And those teams that have only one ball, give them three.

Then draw balls one after another, 30th through 1st. The odds would be the same (or quite similar I think), and if a "duplicate" team came up, ignor them. No having to remove balls, just plug through it.
Trouble is youd get down to the last two picks
"duplicate ball"
"duplicate ball"
"duplicate ball" (really the other team left)
"duplicate ball"
ten balls later
"and the #1 pick goes to NYR!"

SPARTAKUS*

You see I told you that the NHL were going to do things the right way. Way to go NHL keep it going. It's a great start.

:clap: :clap:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Oh boy....

now i just hope they stream it. I sit here in germany so i d would really appriciate a live stream on the internet. Bob McKenzie!!! Do you hear me, please do something about it. LOL I just wanna follow it, just as every hardcore NHL fan in north america can do. In exchange i ll read the whole CBA from page 1 to 600+ every day for 6 months. ;)

Shawnski

Jan 8, 2004
Steve L said:
Trouble is youd get down to the last two picks
"duplicate ball"
"duplicate ball"
"duplicate ball"
ten balls later
"and the #1 pick goes to NYR!"

Once the 2nd is picked out, the first is obvious. But point taken. Not to say they couldn't have done it. Bottom line, if you want fan involvement this is one way they could have done a 30 thru 1 weighted lottery live.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Shawnski said:

No you couldn't, because there would be more balls and therefore the odds would change.

Lanny MacDonald*

Shane said:
No you couldn't, because there would be more balls and therefore the odds would change.

I was just about to say that. Probability has never played well in these discussions.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
SensGuy said:
I just think it's pretty funny how everyone is so worried that this thing is going to be rigged.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. If their team doesn't win, it's "fixed". What a crock of BS. Seriously, everyone will be crying foul if NYR wins. Nevermind that they have the best odds. Seriously, they could win it legit, and everyone would be saying "the fix is in".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->