TSN disrupting recording of broadcasts?

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
I'm really sorry if this has been discussed already but tonight was the first time I experienced it. (Sorry also if this is the wrong forum, I didn't know where else to put it.)

I was watching the Oilers game on TSN and as usual recording it on my DVD recorder (not a PVR, just a burner). In the first intermission, the recorder suddenly said, "Uncopyable movie, cannot record." What the hell? I turned it on and off, and it started recording again. Stupid technology, I thought.

Then my friend told me it was TSN, that they send out a signal to disrupt recordings. Sure enough, it happened during the second intermission too, only this time it lasted about five minutes.

Have other people had this happen to them? I'm having a hard time understanding TSN's motivation for doing this, if it is in fact them. So if I'm busy and want to record the game to watch later, I'm just S.O.L. after the first period? Why doesn't TSN want me to watch their games? :cry:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
TSN is holding on to their industrial age business models instead of creating a new one for the information age.

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
Out of curiosity, why are you recording Oilers games to begin with?

Because I'm a nerd, I guess. :dunce: I've taken to recording them all and saving the good ones.

nazzy19 said:
Don't count on it. Out of all stations I've sent e-mail to, I've never had a response from TSN

Yeah, nothing so far. Damn, that's annoying, I wish there was some way to tell them how unimpressed I am.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
It's illegal to reproduce them for commercial gain. If the guy is planning on selling them then I'd agree with you that it's awesome. But is he?

to me, it doesnt matter, even if it means it prevents hundreds of people from copying the game for innocent reasons, if it stops the few who do it for financial gain. the signal disruptor cannot identify motives. you miss a game? you miss it, its not the end of the world.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
its illegal to reproduce the broadcasts. good on them for doing that.

It is illegal if you are reselling the copy for money- otherwise there is nothing illegal at all in recording a game. I have recorded lots of games myself because of my work schedule.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
to me, it doesnt matter, even if it means it prevents hundreds of people from copying the game for innocent reasons, if it stops the few who do it for financial gain. the signal disruptor cannot identify motives. you miss a game? you miss it, its not the end of the world.

Well, it should matter that lots of people who plainly are unable to see the game live might want to see it taped when they are able to watch it. I have paid for Center Ice and with my work am not always able to see a game live- so ones like me should be penalized and not be able to see it later- right- makes no sense.:shakehead

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
It is illegal if you are reselling the copy for money- otherwise there is nothing illegal at all in recording a game. I have recorded lots of games myself because of my work schedule.
look up 2 posts, its already been said. thank you for that though.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Well, it should matter that lots of people who plainly are unable to see the game live might want to see it taped when they are able to watch it. I have paid for Center Ice and with my work am not always able to see a game live- so ones like me should be penalized and not be able to see it later- right- makes no sense.:shakehead
broadcasting, copyright and whatever laws are what they are, i happen to agree with them and i happen to agree with safe guarding of assets. you dont? well thats not my problem.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Correct me if I'm wrong but before HDCP -system really hits the market, the broadcaster can't really prevent recording of the game simply with signal without any special hardware in your end. It shouldn't matter whether you're recording the game to harddrive or DVD.

When HDCP system is implemented (not gonna happen with over-the-air broadcasts in the next 5 years if ever), it should be possible to prevent copying copyrighted material, although that's most likely cracked in very short time.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Don't count on it. Out of all stations I've sent e-mail to, I've never had a response from TSN

As has been mentioned, TSN never responds. Sportsnet on the otherhand respond not only quickly, but send you an actual personal response, not just a mass email. I don't really understand the motivation for this on the part of TSN. Even if someone did sell the game at a later date, which seems like an odd thing to do for an ordinary game, why does TSN care? They aren't ever going to replay that game so it's not as if they are somehow losing.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
As has been mentioned, TSN never responds. Sportsnet on the otherhand respond not only quickly, but send you an actual personal response, not just a mass email. I don't really understand the motivation for this on the part of TSN. Even if someone did sell the game at a later date, which seems like an odd thing to do for an ordinary game, why does TSN care? They aren't ever going to replay that game so it's not as if they are somehow losing.

maybe the nhl cares? which in turn means tsn cares, because if the nhl cares that means tsn doesnt get NHL games.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
broadcasting, copyright and whatever laws are what they are, i happen to agree with them and i happen to agree with safe guarding of assets. you dont? well thats not my problem.
I happen to agree with the fair use laws that give me the right to record for my personal use. You don't? TSN doesn't? Not my problem.

I haven't noticed any kind of disruption, but I don't use an appliance to record.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005

You agree with copyright laws? I assume you also agree with the fair use clauses in copyright laws?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad