Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Rumpy said:
Top Five of Guys who should have been invited that weren't in order:
Brule
Bernier
Shantz
Poilout

Also Chipchura was hurt who wouldn't have even got an invite??

Top 5 guys who shouldn't have been invited:
Fraser
Fehr
Boyd

Brule not on the list is a joke he was the best player in the WHL vs Russia game 2. Bernier is big and talented but as somebody said maybe he cooked his goose at the summer camp. The other two being off the list is no big deal

Fraser is a joke and I hate Fehr he can score but he can't skate and he is lazy Stone makes him with his hard work. Boyd is decent but I think Brule and Bernier should have been invited over him.

Come come, did you watch the Russian challenge? Heck, did you even look at the numbers last year?

Even if Fehr can't play a lick of defense (which is actually not the case. While he's not great in his own end, he's certainly not a complete liability) 50ish goals should gurantee anyone an invite.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
La-La-Laprise said:
Ellis is 18, leads the league in mins played, his team cant score and he has a .930 save %. Why wasnt he considered? I guess 6'00 is too small.

Houle is 5'10, it is common knowledge he gets no respect because of that.

I not sure what you are trying to prove here .. You mentioned they were small not me ..

and the Q is always known as the free skating higher scoring league so if Ellis team can't score against Q dman do you think they would fair better against stronger better dmen in WHL ???

and a goalies job is to stop the puck, and I don't thing goalie win and losses had any part of the selection decision in the first place ..

Basically the WHL could have represented TEAM CANADA .. and all they had to do was add Crosby, Richards, Stewart and Carter really .. and that is what you have here..

and this familiarity is just not with Sutter ... but with all the WHL skaters .. They to are familar with the style and habits of the WHL goalies .. Even though they will not be shooting against them .. they will have an advantange knowing what kinds on tendancies they have for rebounds, puck movement etc ..

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
slats432 said:
Screw the fact that Fraser is an inferior player compared to many mentioned here.

Sutter has shown more of a Western bias than any bias I have ever seen for a WJC. Couldn't take Munce/Shantz over Glass/Beauchemin? Dylan Hunter over Fraser?

Like it or not, Sutter is playing favourites not based on anything but guys he knows/likes and not based on ability.

Once again, I repeat....

"The best team is not necessarily made up of the best individual players."

Sutter is building what he thinks will be the best team.

He did not set out to bring the 32 best individuals to his camp, but the 32 players with which he will build the best possible WJC team.

And of course Sutter is more comfortable bringing guys to camp that he knows....

That's just common sense....

If you had that kind of responsibility, you would feel more comfortable with guys you knew could do the job too....

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Koltsov said:
anyone surprised that there are only 4 86's invited to camp? Next year is gonna be a whole new team.
It will certainly make for a much different mix, won't it? And when you look at some of those few potential returnees, there is some chance that Barker or Crosby will be in the NHL and unable to play. I was trying to think of what next year's camp could possibly look like, and I really started getting worried about the mobility of the D, and I think I'll quickly miss having some of those big guys who can play like Stewart and Getzlaf around. A lot of '87s will have to step up. A lot of shorter talent guys up front and rougher slower D...

FORWARDS
Forwards who should be locks:
Crosby (if he's not in the NHL)
Bolland
Chipchura
Boyd
Other forwards with a really good chance
Brule
McGrath
Bourret
Wolski
Cabana
Blunden
Other forwards?
Little
O'Marra
Pouliot
Durand
???Reddox? Bickell? Chucko???? (I know one could list half the CSB lists at this point, but I don't think that's really likely, given that there are some '86s, and already quite a few '87s above, although undoubtedly a few other '87s will put themselves into contention.)

DEFENSE (your guess is as good as mine as to which ones are more likely than others, past Barker)
Barker (if he's not in the NHL)
Schultz
Fistric
Rogers
Stephenson
Carson
O'Neill
Wharton
Parent
Bourdon
Russell?

GOAL
Dubnyk/Shantz/Pogge/Ellis-Plante plus maybe one of the Quebec '87s or Price maybe?

I dunno, it doesn't look all that doom-y and gloom-y, although it's totally different from this year's powerhouse, and will probably be another transition team building for a 2007 powerhouse. (Sad for Vancouver?).

Darcy Wakaluk

Apr 30, 2004
Chimaera said:
Come come, did you watch the Russian challenge? Heck, did you even look at the numbers last year?

Even if Fehr can't play a lick of defense (which is actually not the case. While he's not great in his own end, he's certainly not a complete liability) 50ish goals should gurantee anyone an invite.

Except if you're from the Q and your name is Dany Roussin. :shakehead

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
The Messenger said:
I not sure what you are trying to prove here .. You mentioned they were small not me ..

and the Q is always known as the free skating higher scoring league so if Ellis team can't score against Q dman do you think they would fair better against stronger better dmen in WHL ???

and a goalies job is to stop the puck, and I don't thing goalie win and losses had any part of the selection decision in the first place ..

Basically the WHL could have represented TEAM CANADA .. and all they had to do was add Crosby, Richards, Stewart and Carter really .. and that is what you have here..

and this familiarity is just not with Sutter ... but with all the WHL skaters .. They to are familar with the style and habits of the WHL goalies .. Even though they will not be shooting against them .. they will have an advantange knowing what kinds on tendancies they have for rebounds, puck movement etc ..

How can u be so blind, here is not just hockey, it's also politic. The whole eastern Canada get's screw

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Darcy Wakaluk said:
Except if you're from the Q and your name is Dany Roussin. :shakehead

Meyer deserves to be there for sure. Shantz may not be ready, but he should've got an invite because he may just need something like this to get back to where he was. I'm not surprised with Roussin not being invited. Neither am I with Pouliot. I think that they could've been a whole line though. Top 3 in the Q in scoring. That's a sick line.

I think Brule should at least be invited, but it just shows how ridiculously deep this team is.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Messenger said:

I said the reason they werent invited was because of their size.

Who said anything about inviting offensive players from Shawinigan to the WJHC?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
PanthersRule said:
Meyer deserves to be there for sure. Shantz may not be ready, but he should've got an invite because he may just need something like this to get back to where he was. I'm not surprised with Roussin not being invited. Neither am I with Pouliot. I think that they could've been a whole line though. Top 3 in the Q in scoring. That's a sick line.

I think Brule should at least be invited, but it just shows how ridiculously deep this team is.

Sorry PR, I really like Stefan Meyer, but Meyer is not better than Steve Bernier.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Anfernic said:
How can u be so blind, here is not just hockey, it's also politic. The whole eastern Canada get's screw

That's not true at all ... I bet if the team WJC coach was from QMJHL rather than the WHL .. the team would still be basically the same IMO .. and the players you are arguing over are the ones that are going to be cut anyways because the majority of the spots are almost guaranteed ..

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
The Messenger said:
That's not true at all ... I bet if the team WJC coach was from QMJHL rather than the WHL .. the team would still be basically the same IMO .. and the players you are arguing over are the ones that are going to be cut anyways because the majority of the spots are almost guaranteed ..

Give them the chance to proove what they can do.

I don't understand to see

Bolland Meyer Boyd Fraser **over Bernier Pouliot Picard Bourret

And if the 4 player i mentionned would be cut, why Sutter invited the 4 other players

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
pei fan said:
What the heck are they going to do next year.They won't have many players with
experience in that tournament.If Crosby and Barker are in the NHL and their teams
won't realease them, they actually might not end up with anyone.Hockey Canada
is nuts.

Just like last year hey, when they had no returning guys barely, but lost in the gold medal game with mostly 18 yr olds! Give your head a shake!

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Anfernic said:

Because our country is so vast, every year, some part of the country gets screwed, and this time it seems like Eastern Canada got picked.

I still remember Mike Comrie got canned twice from camp, even though he led the camp in scoring, and was strong defensively, judging from what the coaches said at the time. Politics reared its ugly face there, and it will continue in the future. There's no way around that in our country.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
La-La-Laprise said:
I said the reason they werent invited was because of their size.

Who said anything about inviting offensive players from Shawinigan to the WJHC?

Right then what are you telling me about Ellis and Houle size if that is your point..

Even if Team Canada left off 2 WHL goalies from camp and replaced them with non WHLers I still believe that neither the Q players you mentioned would have been invited .. David Shantz and Ryan Munce would have been the logical choices to replace them.. NO??

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Messenger said:
Right then what are you telling me about Ellis and Houle size if that is your point..

Even if Team Canada left off 2 WHL goalies from camp and replaced them with non WHLers I still believe that neither the Q players you mentioned would have been invited .. David Shantz and Ryan Munce would have been the logical choices to replace them.. NO??

Ill go SLOWWW.

I said the reason why Ellis and Houle werent invited was because THEY ARE SMALL. Want me to go slower or you got it?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Messenger said:

You are naive if you dont think politics played a part in it. Politics plays a part in any team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Anfernic said:
Give them the chance to proove what they can do.

I don't understand to see

Bolland Meyer Boyd Fraser **over Bernier Pouliot Picard Bourret

And if the 4 player i mentionned would be cut, why Sutter invited the 4 other players

Most years the camp is bigger and in those years you could see some of the players mentioned from the Q being invited .. but still be cut in the end .. Bernier style of play may no find chemistry with WHL linemates .. in a short tourney these things matter ... basically I am saying that most positions and players are already decided even before the camp begins ... and even proving it their does not guarantee a spot on the team .. Usually from previous experience players play their way off the team more then they play their way on ... IMO ..

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Eww...Boyd? Fraser? Meyer?

Brule and Bernier own all 3 of them.

Settle down, there are 10 guys that will make the team that can do what Bernier and Brule could do! Just too much talent and returning vets! Bernier could have and maybe should have been there, but it's not the end of the world and Brule is not ready at this time. Just too much experience and talent ahead of him! He will be there next year in Vancouver if he is not in the NHL.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Bolland will battle Dustin Boyd for the token second "youth" spot after Crosby up front--HOWEVER can you imagine if Canada still falls short by not scoring enough and if Perry is left off the team (because Sutter favours the Dub) or even if he puts perry on and leaves Fehr off? There would be an uproar--therefore,2 of the best pure goal scoreres(Perry and Fehr) must be on the team--BUt Ladd we know works well with Getzlaf and he's a Sutter kind of player--so if all 3 are on the team+
the Dawes Richards,Stewart line+ Crosby and Bergeron,plus Carter and Colliton,and Getzlaf--then that is 11 forwards as locks already...depending on whether they keep 13 or 14 forwards (8 or 7 D-men) then Dixon can be chopped (politically) if they take Q D-man Picard as the 7th or 8th D-man;this means only 1 of Fraser,Meyer,or Stone to make the last 4th line spot if Bolland or Boyd take the 13th spot up front (as a token youth reserve spot) OR 2 of Fraser,Meyer or Stone
make it if Sutter decides an older experienced player in that 13th spot,OR if he goes with 14 forwards and only 7 D-men. Fraser is his guy,but Meyer and Stone are better skaters and goal scorers than his own Fraser.BUT if Sutter does prefer 2 of these 3 instead of just 1 and the Bolland/Boyd "youth" spot,THEN Fraser may bounce out Meyer or Stone for the lcentre spot,and the one of the 2 goes to wing.

Probably it goes this way:

Sutter opts for 8 D-men not 7 ...meaning 13 forwards...

Dawes Richards Stewart
Fehr Crosby Bergeron
Ladd Carter Getzlaf
Perry Fraser Stone
Colliton...(or Bolland/Boyd)

Fraser has played well of late and he did help create numrous chances playing with Boyd in that ganme vs. the Russkies...Stone is better than Boyd as a finisher and Perry of course is better than Brouwer--so you would think Fraser between Perry and Stone should work even better ....This really means that IF Fraser does make the squad as the 4th line centre then the 13th man decision is between Colliton and the youth spot (probably Bolland not Boyd if Fraser is on the squad)---this is the only scenario I see for both Hawks draftees making it up front in a 13 man forward lineup--ie. all 3 of Fehr Ladd and Perry must be on the team and they decide for youth over Colliton--though he(Colliton) may be one of the best players
in terms of skating,effort,and all round play ...If it was me,I would take Colliton for his experience and tremendous skating and PK instead of keeping a "youth spot" for Bolland...But the 13th spot may also be decided by who can play centre best should one of the starting centres go down...Perry I think can move there ,so could Stone,or Fehr--so that detpth may mean no need for Bolland...However the other factor is that the WHL so dominates the total number of spots that they will put an OHL'er in the last spot if the choice is close (hence Bolland over Colliton).

AS for the 8 d-meN:

Phaneuf Weber
Coburn Seabrook
Barker Syvret
Belle Picard

Goal: Let the camp games decide between the 4 ...

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Messenger said:
Most years the camp is bigger and in those years you could see some of the players mentioned from the Q being invited .. but still be cut in the end .. Bernier style of play may no find chemistry with WHL linemates .. in a short tourney these things matter ... basically I am saying that most positions and players are already decided even before the camp begins ... and even proving it their does not guarantee a spot on the team .. Usually from previous experience players play their way off the team more then they play their way on ... IMO ..

You say Bernier may not find chemistry from players from the WHL. That is quite laughable. So only players from the WHL can play successfully from players from the WHL? Why is Crosby on the team then?

If anyone from the QMJHL plays a "WHL style" its Steve Bernier.

Why cant WHL fans just admit that Sutter wanted to invite "his boys"

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
You say Bernier may not find chemistry from players from the WHL. That is quite laughable. So only players from the WHL can play successfully from players from the WHL? Why is Crosby on the team then?

If anyone from the QMJHL plays a "WHL style" its Steve Bernier.

Why cant WHL fans just admit that Sutter wanted to invite "his boys"

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

That's it

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
pei fan said:
Wrong Picard,there's actually three in the Q right now.The one everyone is
talking about was picked 8th overall in the first round of last years draft.He's a
forward and plays for Lewiston.He has a solid all-around game.

I thought that Picard was injured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->