TSN: Canada's list of invited players

Status
Not open for further replies.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
The list stinks!Fraser over Picard, Bernier, and Brule.Brule is a can't miss #2 draft
pick.How in the heck can they not even take a look at him in camp.I know there's
prejudice against the Q guy's but how the heck could they overlook Brule.When a
player is as good as he is at the age of 17 it is just stupid that he is not on the team.I can't imagine this happening anywhere else.Hockey Canada is nuts.

Sammy*

HabLover said:
Bernier is nothing special(ie: skating) and did not play as well as some of the WHL players did in the games against the Russians.
Do you have a frickin clue. He was monster out there in game 1 & very good in game 2.
I hope you didnt watch those games cause if you did , your hockey acumen is brutal.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
This is just mind-boggling.

Bolland, Boyd, Fraser, MacArthur, Meyer, Stone...none of these guys should make the team over Bernier (or PIcard for that matter).

I don't give a damn where players are from, but to overlook such top notch players for those guys. Some of them are great prospects in their own, but in my opinion, don't hold a candle to those three Q guys in what they could have brought the team.

How do you know, how many times have you seen these Meyer, Macarthur and Stone play? All three are having great seasons and none of these guys are grinders all are gifted players. I am also dissapointed when guys like Fraser and Boyd (who is a great player but realistically does not have a chance to make this team) are invited over Bernier and Pouliot and Picard. But realistically only Bernier would have a chance to make the team from that list. I just cant believe Fraser got an invite

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
What the heck are they going to do next year.They won't have many players with
experience in that tournament.If Crosby and Barker are in the NHL and their teams
won't realease them, they actually might not end up with anyone.Hockey Canada
is nuts.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
I am curious why there is so much hate towards Boyd being on the list? Was he not one of the better players in the Russian tourny. Just because he is not the most pure skilled player is no reason against him. Heck, if that was the case why are guys like Draper representing Canada every year? There is something the coaching staff sees in him that fits a certain role.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
MacArthur was supposedly one of the better forwards at the summer camp. Now add to the fact that he's one of the leading scorers in the dub this season. I believe he warrants an invite.

Stone is also having a great season (Leading scorer in the dub), and after hearing about his great performance against the Russians...I'd say he's quite deserving as well.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
I am curious why there is so much hate towards Boyd being on the list? Was he not one of the better players in the Russian tourny. Just because he is not the most pure skilled player is no reason against him. Heck, if that was the case why are guys like Draper representing Canada every year? There is something the coaching staff sees in him that fits a certain role.

IMO, its not that people hate Boyd its that people are bitter that guys like Brule, Berneir, Picard and Pouliot did not get invited. IMO they should have but Sutter also is having a small number of players at camp this year. Still does not excuse the fact that guys like Fraser get invited over the four guys I just mentioned but if the camp were 36-7 guy instead of 32 you probably would have seen those four guys there, or anybody else from the WHL that hasnt been invited yet. :lol

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Nice to see 4 future Hawks on the list. Fraser is one of Sutter's favorites. He can put up points (26 in 28 games this year in the dub), grind, and drop the gloves. If you were to watch him pay, you would notice that he is willing to do anything to shift the momentum in his team's favor. Every team needs a leader like this guy, he is really going to be a ***** to play against. I think he is pretty much a lock with Sutter behind the bench, Bolland is more questionable.

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
I can understand the reasoning behind a smaller selection camp roster but I think they've made a mistake. Not giving guys like Bernier and Picard the opportunity to compete for a roster spot or Brule the experience of camp isn't good for the program. Canada will always have a competitive team in this tourney but the team they send next year will be so inexperienced that finishing out of the medals should not shock anyone.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
theBob said:
Nice to see 4 future Hawks on the list. Fraser is one of Sutter's favorites. He can put up points (26 in 28 games this year in the dub), grind, and drop the gloves. If you were to watch him pay, you would notice that he is willing to do anything to shift the momentum in his team's favor. Every team needs a leader like this guy, he is really going to be a ***** to play against. I think he is pretty much a lock with Sutter behind the bench, Bolland is more questionable.

I disagree, there is no way Fraser should make this team. He looked outclassed in the WHL-Russia games and was only (stupidly) invited because he plays on Sutter's team, if he makes the team Sutter is seriously not thinking about picking the best players.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hossa said:
Yup, completely agree. The Steve Bernier of this year deserves a spot on this team without a doubt. He's twice the player Fraser or Boyd is, among others.

Sutter is the coach and he knows his Dub boys best ... End of Story

and the likely players cut are Fraser and Boyd to boot ..

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
markov` said:
A total joke. I think the WHL is cleary the best league... but not that much better. I mean, 21 invited players against only 3 for the Q... you gotta be kidding me.

Which makes for an interesting point how would Crosby's stats look if he played in the WHL against the WJC defense and Goaltending each night ??

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Top Five of Guys who should have been invited that weren't in order:
Brule
Bernier
Shantz
Poilout

Also Chipchura was hurt who wouldn't have even got an invite??

Top 5 guys who shouldn't have been invited:
Fraser
Fehr
Boyd

Brule not on the list is a joke he was the best player in the WHL vs Russia game 2. Bernier is big and talented but as somebody said maybe he cooked his goose at the summer camp. The other two being off the list is no big deal

Fraser is a joke and I hate Fehr he can score but he can't skate and he is lazy Stone makes him with his hard work. Boyd is decent but I think Brule and Bernier should have been invited over him.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think hockey Canada is a joke really, Dustin Boyd though a great player should not have been picked to tryout over a guy like Steve Bernier. Thing is you could play Bernier on any of the 4 lines , he showed in the Russia games that he was a stand out and that he deserved to get a tryout. Berniers talent level IMO puts him i nthe top 15 players in Canada and he deserved to be there, his physical presence along with offensive ability and gritty play is just what Canada needs.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
wow, brutal picks... Stephen Dixon :lol Defenseman Alexandre Picard is not a great pick too imo. By the way, why is there no Bernier and forward Alexandre Picard??? Brulé and Bourret should be there too, you gotta give those kids some experience. Bwah ahahah Fraser and Dixon over Bernier and Picard. What a joke. I never cheered for team canada junior, and it's not gonna start today.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Sure i thought that Picard,Roussin and Pouliot should have been invited, sure theres other guys from the OHL and QMJHL that could have been there instead of guys like Fraser and Boyd but the Coach is from the Dub and he's bringing the players he knows. It's like that every year, if the coach was from the Q we would have seen at least one Q goalie.

That's the thing with Canada, we could send 3 teams and all could compete for the gold. We're gonna be fine and we'll be in the finals unless we meet the Russsians in the Semis...They are the only team that scares me.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Messenger said:
Which makes for an interesting point how would Crosby's stats look if he played in the WHL against the WJC defense and Goaltending each night ??

Goaltending is still better in the Q. Just so happens the best ones are small right now, see Ellis and Houle.

Goalie depth in the QMJHL is still the best in the CHL, its just the WHL has more high end guys in the opinion of Hockey Canada.

PEli*

The Messenger said:

That's irrelevant. He doesn't play in the WHL. You don't know the answer and I don't know the answer. And this debate isn't even part of the discussion.

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
Goaltending is still better in the Q. Just so happens the best ones are small right now, see Ellis and Houle.

Unfortunately, none of these 2 (who seem to be consensus among Q fans as the 2 goalies who SHOULD have played the russia series) will get a chance to steal a spot on the team this year. 4 west goalies? :lol:

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
While I agree that Bernier, Brule, Pouliot, Picard, etc. not being there is a possible oversight, if I'm Brent Sutter and I'm taking a team to a tournament like this and my ass is on the line, I would want a bunch of guys that I am familiar with and that I know what I'm getting from them...

Can't really blame the guy for wanting players he's familiar with for a short tournament like this.......

If anything, it's a fault in the Hockey Canada sets up the team.

Perhaps there should be a coach appointed to lead the team that doesn't coach in the CHL???? :dunno:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Boondock Saint said:
While I agree that Bernier, Brule, Pouliot, Picard, etc. not being there is a possible oversight, if I'm Brent Sutter and I'm taking a team to a tournament like this and my ass is on the line, I would want a bunch of guys that I am familiar with and that I know what I'm getting from them...

Can't really blame the guy for wanting players he's familiar with for a short tournament like this.......

Perhaps there should be a coach appointed to lead the team that doesn't coach in the CHL???? :dunno:

As much as I think this team has a bunch of great players, I honestly can't see, even as a Westerner, how you could possibly invite 21 out of 32 from the WHL?

For christ sake is Dubnyk that far better than Shantz? Fraser over Picard?

I think when it comes down to it, ties have to go to making even representation. (maybe not even...but sure as heck closer than this)

Everbare

Apr 30, 2004
Boondock Saint said:

Finally someone who gets it

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
well, nothing new here...

cant say i agree with all of Sutters selection, and yes he does seem biased towards the west which is no surprise considering he is a Sutter. it still hasn't brought out much difference in reaction from prior years that I've been here. people jumping off the deep end over reacting big time as usual.

team is stacked from top to bottom, it has it all.... plenty of offence, if the offence cant get the job done with what they have there, then thats their fault, not the fault of the 4rth line role players not being offensive enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->