TSN: Canada's list of invited players

Status
Not open for further replies.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
According to the article, "TSN has learned" this is the team. I don't think that they would put that they have received this information and then turn around and put a team they think is going on their website.

As for the picks, I went through them last night and IMO I am surprised by three players making the list and three players not making the list. The three I am surprised that made were Devyn Dubnyk (as was mentioned), Kyle Quincey, and Dave Bolland. The three non-invitees that surprised me were David Shantz (I think should have been there ahead of Dubnyk), Jeff Schultz, and Travis Zajac......(and also Wes O'Neill, but nobody really gave him any consideration to begin with so it wasn't so much of a surprise).

As for this team not being able to win, I say sour grapes. 14 first rounders, of which 10 are from the WHL. It's just something about this age group that makes the talent pool lean towards the West, not Brent Sutter's bias.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
TSN's list is (almost unfortunately) correct, because the same list (official) is now on Hockey Canada's site.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
windowlicker said:
At this point Im not sure the TSN list is "certified" though. Untill its official, its speculation.
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/teams/mens/junior/2005/rosters/can_sel.html
Hossa said:
While the list is more or less as I expected it to be, although Boyd over Bernier is a joke up front, the four goalies being from the WHL is quite surprising to me. As much as I like Jeff Glass a Senators prospect, I would rather Shantz over him without a doubt.

Shantz has been terribly inconsistent in the last two mounths (a lot of the time, just terrible), I thought he was going to be given serious consideration aswell, but they dodged a bullet in my eyes, by not inviting him.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Seachd said:
TSN's list is (almost unfortunately) correct, because the same list (official) is now on Hockey Canada's site.

Well I"m now officially shocked and appalled by Hockey Canada's decision to not include Bernier.

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Matt MacInnis said:
Well I"m not officially shocked and appalled by Hockey Canada's decision to not include Bernier.
:) Not or now?

Anyway, there could be cases made for any one of Bernier, Pouliot, or Picard. Throw them on the 4th line wing if you have to. The bottom 6 don't all have to be grinders.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
This is just mind-boggling.

Bolland, Boyd, Fraser, MacArthur, Meyer, Stone...none of these guys should make the team over Bernier (or PIcard for that matter).

I don't give a damn where players are from, but to overlook such top notch players for those guys. Some of them are great prospects in their own, but in my opinion, don't hold a candle to those three Q guys in what they could have brought the team.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Matt MacInnis said:

Bolland, Boyd, Fraser, MacArthur, Meyer, Stone...none of these guys should make the team over Bernier (or PIcard for that matter).

I don't give a damn where players are from, but to overlook such top notch players for those guys. Some of them are great prospects in their own, but in my opinion, don't hold a candle to those three Q guys in what they could have brought the team.

While I tend to agree with you that Bernier should of at least got an invite, I don't think he's a better fit than Stone. This guy is the leading scorer in the WHL as well as being a great checker and penalty killer. I believe he will be one of Team Canada's most valuable players

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:

Bernier is nothing special(ie: skating) and did not play as well as some of the WHL players did in the games against the Russians. Bolland, MacArthur, Stone and Meyer are just as capable as Bernier! While Fraser may be a bit of a surprise, he does have experience and has won Gold with Canada at the U18's before. If anything Fraser will be the 13th forward to fill where needed and help on the PK, but I'll predict he will be cut. I am a little surprised Picard did not get an invite or even Ryan Munce, who played well against Russia and has won a gold before.

PEli*

littleD said:
I thought I read Picard wasn't picked for injury reasons. Or at least that was why Bob MacKenzie figured he wouldn't be part of the camp. Is he injured right now?

Had three assists in a come from behind win against PEI yesterday. There's nothing wrong with him.

link

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Brock said:
My main beef with the list is the number of checkers, rather then pure scorers, signifying the fact that Sutter seems to intend to play a seriously defensive style, with so many two-way threats, rather then pure goal scorers.

Number of checkers, rather then pure scorers???????

What about Mr. Dawes, Fehr, Crosby, Stewart, Bolland, Meyer, Getzlaf, Carter, Bergeron, Ladd, MacArthur, etc.

How can someone make a comment like that?? And I didn't even list the WHL's or the OHL's leading point men this season!

This team will be very good and is built around the returning veterans and the addition Patrice Bergeron! After that, the rest won't get much of the limelight!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Hossa said:
Yup, completely agree. The Steve Bernier of this year deserves a spot on this team without a doubt. He's twice the player Fraser or Boyd is, among others.

Possible Stephen Dixon??

Perhaps you should be pissed at Mario Durocher for selecting Dixon last year and therefore costing Bernier a chance this year! How does a 7th round pick make it before a 1st rounder?? Maybe he's not the player you think he is!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Koltsov said:
anyone surprised that there are only 4 86's invited to camp? Next year is gonna be a whole new team.

No because the team next year will be made up of entirely 1987 born players! 1986's in Canada are very weak! Next year you will see Brule, Cogliano, Bertram, Little and co.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:

Bernier was pretty invisible in the summer camp IMO. Perhaps he only has himself to blame by not impressing the coaching staff when he had the opportunity earlier this year.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Brock said:
My main beef with the list is the number of checkers, rather then pure scorers, signifying the fact that Sutter seems to intend to play a seriously defensive style, with so many two-way threats, rather then pure goal scorers.

Dixon and Fraser are really the only two guys I'd describe as "checkers". That's not really a large number of players.

Isn't it obvious that defense wins? That all star teams do not necessarily beat a good two-way team? Was anyone watching Finland at the World Cup this fall. Sheesh.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
HabLover said:
Possible Stephen Dixon??

Perhaps you should be pissed at Mario Durocher for selecting Dixon last year and therefore costing Bernier a chance this year! How does a 7th round pick make it before a 1st rounder?? Maybe he's not the player you think he is!

I'm not sure why Dixon comes into play with this, but I can say that I watch Bernier enough, as do others including Matt McInnis, to say that he is completely deserving of a spot on this team. Dixon may not have deserved a spot last year, but he's still a better player than Fraser anyways, and Bernier's better than both. Dixon makes the squad this year because he's a fantastic penalty killer who has world junior experience. I didn't think much of Bernier for a while, but this year, he's been very, very impressive in every way, and has changed my view of him.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Brock said:
Personally I think it's a joke that Steve Bernier or Alexandre Picard didn't get an invite, and I'm not one who usually defends the Q, so it's not like I'm some angry Q fan or anything.

A total joke. I think the WHL is cleary the best league... but not that much better. I mean, 21 invited players against only 3 for the Q... you gotta be kidding me.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
HabLover said:
Bernier is nothing special(ie: skating) and did not play as well as some of the WHL players did in the games against the Russians. Bolland, MacArthur, Stone and Meyer are just as capable as Bernier! While Fraser may be a bit of a surprise, he does have experience and has won Gold with Canada at the U18's before. If anything Fraser will be the 13th forward to fill where needed and help on the PK, but I'll predict he will be cut. I am a little surprised Picard did not get an invite or even Ryan Munce, who played well against Russia and has won a gold before.

I can't even put together words strong enough to voice my disagreement with tihs. Bernier is by one of the most skilled players available to this team, and his puckhandling skills overshadow all of what I have seen of MacArthur (by a long, long long ways), Bolland, Stone, and Meyer. And that's ignoring the fact that he is huge and an extremely punishing hitter.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Bernier's skating, he moves perfectly fine. He wouldn't have been used on a PK with this team but he plays ALL situations with the Cats, who are, last time I checked, the second or third best team in the CHL.

I really like Stone and Meyer but to put them ahead of Bernier is an oversight.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
markov` said:
A total joke. I think the WHL is cleary the best league... but not that much better. I mean, 21 invited players against only 3 for the Q... you gotta be kidding me.

I wouldn't care if the WHL got all 25 players on the team (hell I'm from BC), if they were the 25 best. But top notch players from the Q (most notably Bernier, Picard, and Pouliot) appear to have been ignored for guys that I see as middle-level talent.

It's still a damn good team. The defence is, in my opinion, miles ahead of anything the opposition can put together, but this is a diluted forward group from who could have participated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad