TSN Article agree disagree? Where do you see the issues?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Unfortunately, couldn't agree more. this team is a tire fire right now and probably will be for a while until they figure out the real issues... (have they tuned Laviolette out, it's that number season where previous teams started tuning him out)

Predation

Dec 18, 2011
There is definitely a serious underlying issue here, but I disagree with the author when he says the team hasn't been through a scheduling ringer or an abnormal number of back to backs. Three back to backs in the first 8 games including a long road trip out west, against all very good teams, and throw in a bout of food poisoning for good measure. Again, I'm not making any excuses, but these factors should also be considered as a contributing factor to their bad start.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
When are we ever "annoyingly fast?"
I feel like at times over the years we've been what could be seen as "annoyingly fast" in a chippy, hard-working way that results in frustration to play against rather than something that results in tons of offense and skill.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
MY $0.02. All of the stats are what they are - but its the players

1. Rinne is not and has not been as good as he used to be - for whatever reason (hurt, old, Korn?).

2. Weber is gone and say what you want, his play in Montreal has indicated he is/was very good. He seems to function as a team mainstay and we are now missing that.

3. PK Subban really is talented but he is different from Weber. He has not found his niche in our system and does not yet seem comfortable on ice. He is not an leader type player.

If we develop a team leader (maybe its Fisher); if Subban becomes Subban again and begins playing with elan and responsible abandon, we get better. But with the the Rinne factor, we still drag anchor a little.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
There is definitely a serious underlying issue here, but I disagree with the author when he says the team hasn't been through a scheduling ringer or an abnormal number of back to backs. Three back to backs in the first 8 games including a long road trip out west, against all very good teams, and throw in a bout of food poisoning for good measure. Again, I'm not making any excuses, but these factors should also be considered as a contributing factor to their bad start.

Yeah that surprised me as well. All teams we've played so far made the playoffs last year and 3 back to backs already has gotta be the most in the league. Definitely not an excuse, but worth mentioning.

Yost still brings up some good number to look at. We've got a hill to climb that's for sure, but it's not impossible.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
And it just so happens that the only team the writer compares us to is Montreal? Just another thinly veiled pro MON won the trade rag piece.

Make hay out of 8 games if you want, it just proves you still don't know the Nashville Predators very well.

Predation

Dec 18, 2011
I might also add that an Rsquared value of 0.3662 is not a very strong correlation, yet Yost uses this chart to prove that the first 8 games is "very" predictive about a teams season corsi score. Something fishy about that other chart he uses too.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I might also add that an Rsquared value of 0.3662 is not a very strong correlation, yet Yost uses this chart to prove that the first 8 games is "very" predictive about a teams season corsi score. Something fishy about that other chart he uses too.

If I went to my boss with that R2 number at work, it could be my last day on the job.
For science, you want to see .98 minimum. The ideal of .9999 is rarely achieved.

The data presented has too much scatter, that is why the value is so low. A hockey game is a lot different from a spectrophotomer with a set of well made standards. You can control stray light and the quality of your cuvettes. You can't control a neutral zone trap or a left wing lock or a goalie with a sinus infection coming on. You can try to adjust your team's game to the situation or make the other team adjust to yours like Red Auerbach of the Celtics. He was a master of that game.

The Preds had a tough schedule to start the season. Having players get the flu and food poisoning didn't help. That cost them at least one game. Make 2-5-1 into 3-4-1 and they don't look so bad.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Um...beginning of the season. Teams know Preds have players and are picking up on them. All the players are gripping the stick.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Let's not forget the almost immediate loss of Bitetto and Salomaki from this roster. Yeah I understand they are not Josi or Forsberg but it introduces yet another chemistry issue in a team that was likely to have some early chemistry issues regardless. I also feel the schedule has been brutal and the food poisoning just made it all worse. I *AM* making excuses and have no problem admitting that.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
If I went to my boss with that R2 number at work, it could be my last day on the job.
For science, you want to see .98 minimum. The ideal of .9999 is rarely achieved.

The data presented has too much scatter, that is why the value is so low. A hockey game is a lot different from a spectrophotomer with a set of well made standards. You can control stray light and the quality of your cuvettes. You can't control a neutral zone trap or a left wing lock or a goalie with a sinus infection coming on. You can try to adjust your team's game to the situation or make the other team adjust to yours like Red Auerbach of the Celtics. He was a master of that game.

The Preds had a tough schedule to start the season. Having players get the flu and food poisoning didn't help. That cost them at least one game. Make 2-5-1 into 3-4-1 and they don't look so bad.

Feel your pain on this one we were sure our start to the season with Price going down to the Flu would have cost us atleast two of the first three games. Kind of like last season after his injury and the boys seemed to stop playing all together.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
Nothing has happened until 20 games have been played.

I wouldn't say "nothing" but I agree.

I think there is reason to be concerned but it's still too early.

All the charts, analytics...I think everything matters, but still, sometimes all these charts and graphs, you can make them prove almost anything. I got a kick out of NE Patriots coach Bellichek throwing away that Surface Pro the other day. I can't imagine him hand wringing over charts and graphs.

Just my guess...Weber was better than we thought in ways that do not show on charts and graphs. Rinne is not through but he's not top upper level over a season.

Maybe we are not as great as some hyped us, but I think we will be fine. Get into the playoffs and the team could gel and go farther than ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad