TSN a bunch of Bettman bootlicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
This must have been part of the owners Stormin Norman propaganda plan to infiltrate the tv stations and control communication, with their plant Burke who as a smart lawyer, and someone I respect even if i think he's lying and on the owners side, will easily whip the wimpy little maguire into full submission after all Pierre needs that job and its the players taking it away from him.

And Dutchy another one who pimps his services off hockey players and his petty little comments.

Pierre maguire, one of the worst owner toadies, whose brown nose is so buried I can smell Bettmans farts when he speaks, in spite of his feeble attempts to appear impartial, actually came out and said this: the NHL needs to do more marketing of their organizations and less on their players. Now why would he say this? How does this help hockey? It doesnt, but it helps owners break the union in a strike.

Then we have our play by men Dean Brown and Gord Wilson now killing time on the radio drive home, with his phony self righteousness saying the union dug 10 years back into the archives to dispute Beliveaus claim that he recently changed his mind, where he always supported the players before, but no longer can. And they found a quote from the '94 strike, where Montreal Canadian management employee Jean Beliveau said, he had always supported players in the past but cant anymore. Deano and Gordie of course cant buy this evidence that wrecks their case, because the greedy players union dug 10 years into the archive to find that quote. How sneaky. And although Chelios was very well spoken and diplomatic in his eloquent response to Beliveaus comments, he's a hothead and cant think for himself so we should discount him, because what could this 20 year veteran of the game know.

Ya these guys cant figure it out. These two spending all show enunciating Regina in case we misinterpreted what they said. Tee hee. Oh your such a card you guys. What brilliance.

Now this is classic sports disk jockey idiocy.

Then they go on to say they cant undestand the players position, and the players cant explain it to them. These 2 bright lights, who see no wrong in their previous statement aboput Beliveau, cant figure it out, like a bunch of fans here can. Like a bunch of leading sports economists have written about extensively. As union leaders and some owners themselves have eloquently explained. These two idiots dont get it. Maybe you guys are wrong Deano, ever consider that? How about doing some honest reading with an open mind. Ive seen the info, so i know you can find it. Doesnt your constant mention of the Ottawa Renegades foolishness in being the only team to follow the CFL salary cap ever seem ironic to you?

Now I like these 2 dorks on the radio as they call themselves affectionately, when they talk about hockey during the strike. But their biaded, fear filled, bootlicking adventure to break the union as the easiest way to get their jobs back is just sickening. Oh for a reporter on this issue instead of sports disc josckeys perpetuating simpleton propaganda..

So all you player haters and cap lovers, you must be in your glory now. You really are teaching those greedy players a lesson arent you? Isnt it grand? Wait till the playoffs would of started. There will be little more ecstatic than sitting in front of your tv on saturday night shaking your fist, saying, take that you greedy players, we'll teach you.

Then the scabs and picket lines will be a great adventure. You'll really get to show them then. Pittsburgh and Anaheim fans will be back in droves when they realize that their minor leaguers are just as good as anyone elses. And the diehard hockey fans will come back from the AHL, ECHL, and junior rinks in droves once all these guys are playing in the NHL. Then wait until trade deadline day. Some lucky team may get to swap Pothier for Kolnik as their missing piece. And as everyone knows goaltending is one of the chief ways of the built for the playoffs part. And if some team is lucky enough to sign Shelaghs husband, why they will have the best goalie in the league and be guaranteed the cup, epecially if they get Bohonos as their other missing piece. Then the bragging of greatest teams of all time we love so much can really start.

Oh get ready for great union busting times ahead fans. I think you missed a spot on Bettmans left boot. After all this arrogant puke of a lawyer who doesnt get the game surely has the right answers. Stick with it, it will be worth it im sure.

Bettman has said, the fans want him to do this, and he's right from what I see, fans want this lockout to continue until the players cave Well players arent caving. Enjoy yourself. Bettman is still following your wishes. Fans want the lockout. Why such complaining? The hard cap is the elixir for all ills and will be worth getting. Owners will never complain again if you give them this, they promise. And dont forget lower ticket prices and a cure for cancer too. Bettman knows what he's doing. Would he run the business into the ground? Fan pettiness will eventually be rewarded in a just world.

Keep it up TSN. The owners with a history of criminal records and accoiunting fraud couldnt possibly be lying. Theres no use questioning their position or questioning their resolve is there? They are perefectly right and your job is to break the union with as much thought as sportswriters gave to the possibility Alan Eaglson could of done anything wrong. You fawned over him too as a bunch of media sheep with your eyes closed to anything that could cause unpleasantness. So what if they were ripping off the pension fund and stealing disability payments. Just close your eyes and keep your job. You're not sports journaslist after all - you're bootlicks. Keep it up toadies.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
There are 2 sides to every story/debate/disagreement. Obviously TSN has chosen their's. Just like a certain Journalist who mainly covers the Rangers has. To think your particular side or opinion must be the correct one displays ignorance.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Gee, TW, tell us how you really feel! I loved your rant btw and I am so sick of people parroting the same crap they hear from these bozos on the radio.

I can not even have a serious discussion about the lockout without someone jumping in with, "I heard so and so say such and such on Fan1040", or whatever talk radio station is in their area. It is as if because some asshat says it on the radio it must be fact?!?

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
I notice you don't mention Healy at all...

He are some of the more intelligent things he has said:

He was once an elite player in the NHL - Sure... thanks for coming out. If you were elite Kelly Hrudey should be exempt from the mandatory 3 year waiting period to get into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Even With a $31mil cap, 10 teams will still lose money - Once again, Glen the great opens his mouth, words come out, but it's mostly maneur. Firstly, that's on the grand assumption that all 30 teams will spend the cap maximum (they won't). Secondly, with salaries in check, teams won't have to spend beyond their means.

The best one, is how everyone in the NFL that the NHLPA talks to doesn't like the cap, yet not a single person in the NFL has cam public with that complaint... interesting!

Guess what? Most of the players in the NHL today were not affected by Eagleson at all. And nobody defends him.

The owners are criminals? Who was the last owner that killed anyone? Who was the last owner that tried to have someone killed? Who was the last owner that went from behind and sucker punched another owner in the back of the head?

Let's not even bring the talk of criminals into this... there are just as many crooks on the players side. From tax evasion, to mob-like activities, to just about everything else, the players aren't any more innocent.

Did you ever think that maybe you aren't the smartest person around? Did that at all dawn on you?

I mean, you are on the same side as Glen Healy and Larry Brooks... if that doesn't send up giant red flags, I don't know what will. How you could possibly side with the 2 dumbest, and most continually wrong people in the business is well beyond me.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The TSN CBA proposal is reasonable for both sides. A $40 million luxury tax based cap is hardly something the owners want. There's pros and cons in it for both sides.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=100897

Their CBA solution best defines their position, not the news stories they report. TSN reported Beliveau's position, and now they're reporting the players and union reaction to it. Every instance where there's been an anti-NHLPA story, TSN has given the NHLPA equal time to respond. I don't know what else could be asked of a news outlet.

SENSible1*

Hope you feel better Thinkwild.

The vast majority of your rant came down to the players can't trust the dirty cheating owners, the media are bought off and fans are sheep without a clue.

Here's something you might want to question.

Why have the players really rejected "cost certainty"?

The owners, in putting cost certainty on the table, have given the players a chance to negotiate what consitutes revenue and have left themselves open to a thorough examination of their books by independant accountants. If the owners really are really are crooks hiding bags of money and the game is in great shape, then this is the perfect opportunity for the PA to prove it and cash in on the rewards. Instead, the PA has refused to even consider the possibility and instead, like you, sat on the sideline and hurled accusations. Why?

The PA knows there is a serious problem and, unlike the owners, has shown no desire whatsoever to address it. Until the PA shows a willingness to examine the scope of the problem and present realistic solutions, they come across as exactly what they are--selfish and greedy, willing to kill the game as long as they get their last penny. That is why most hockey fans and the media are pro-owners, not because they are sheep or shills, but because the players position makes no sense, except for their bank accounts.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
windowlicker said:
To think your particular side or opinion must be the correct one displays ignorance.

Nah, it displays arrogance, IMO... A character trait I've seen be the downfall of many bright people...

YellHockey*

thinkwild said:
This must have been part of the owners Stormin Norman propaganda plan to infiltrate the tv stations and control communication, with their plant Burke who as a smart lawyer, and someone I respect even if i think he's lying and on the owners side, will easily whip the wimpy little maguire into full submission after all Pierre needs that job and its the players taking it away from him.

Interesting comment in there even if it was tongue in cheek.

Why did Burke get the boot from the Canucks? Everyone seemed to think he did a good job there.

Could it have been an elaborate plan all along for the owners to have a former league VP doing spin control on Canada's most watched sports network?

SENSible1*

BlackRedGold said:
Interesting comment in there even if it was tongue in cheek.

Why did Burke get the boot from the Canucks? Everyone seemed to think he did a good job there.

Could it have been an elaborate plan all along for the owners to have a former league VP doing spin control on Canada's most watched sports network?

Paranoid much?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
thunderstruck said:
Hope you feel better Thinkwild

Yes i do, thanks. I needed that catharsis. I probably should get off the criminal bit though. Its a bit lame. Lets go with unethical fraudsters with a litany of securities and accounting related issues in their affiliated companies currently in front of american courts, congress, and securities exchanges. You know, like how in their other companies, many are under investigations about their questionable revenue claims to their board members, shareholders, and auditors. And now apparently their hockey players too. (Yes im a bit overboard stressing this).

I in the Eye said:
Nah, it displays arrogance, IMO... A character trait I've seen be the downfall of many bright people
It is arrogance if I'm sure I was right. And it is a danger you rightly warn me of as I am just as susceptible as the smart people. But how can I know if im right? I put forth (antagonistcally ok) these non-mainstream arguments and when i hit a sensitive spot I get very effective attacks on me personally, but the ideas i put out there are not answered to my satisfacion at all. Well at least dawgbone tries well. And mainstream tv doesnt even ask the questions, let alone answer them. All these questions I come across, I googled on my own, or found in the blogging underground, I was never exposed to them on TV by the current hockeywriters. Well some good ones have brought it up. But the main outlets have never covered these questions or perspectives? No analysis whatsoever or looking into any view other than what NHL ruining, lying puke Bettman espouses. (Yes there goes that over the top thing again) And I hope you can see why I have to wonder why. Its awfully curious to me.

There's some awfully convincing unanswered perspectives out there that suggest the owners are full of it, (players too). But the media dont even question the owners? It is a given the players will cave and that is the option to hope for? Its so obvious the owners resolve is more fractured to me. If you want hockey you pressure them, if you are petty and want to punish the players in spite of many good justifactions left undebated to the contrary, you pressure the margins of the players union.. Why not do the same for the owners? Maybe just once. Scared? Whipped? Incompetent? Or just biased propogators of Bettman propaganda like good little bootlicks? (Come on this over the top stuff is fun)

I like TSN and how they cover hockey, and the people they have, they are great. They teach me a lot. I push their buttons because they are my favourite. I watch them all the time and respect that Pierre and all of them know more than me watching at home on tv. But why is the other perspective rarely found in the mainstream? I think there are some interesting points and stories there. Left uncountered to my arrogant satisfaction anyway.

The general media are still arguing salaries raise ticket prices and caps work perfectly or even fairly. Still selling the idea that ticket prices will drop when they come back because of the cap instead of because of the huge drop in demand they are creating. How can I take seriously someone putting forth this perspective? Surely by now we would be beyond this clearly lying spin. I mean Harvard professors have refuted it, sports economists generally have shot it through with holes. Yet the media blindly parrots the company line, blissfully ignorant. Why?

Now Forbes is shooting holes in Levitts unimpeachable credibility. And offered Levitt and the league a chance to respond which they declined. Forbes is saying exactly what the players have said. Forbes could be dead wrong. Will the hockey media casually dismiss it? It seems in this forbes illuminated light, that the players proposals amply fix the problems, unless the problem is that the union isnt broken.

Seems to me, a thinking unbiased media would make great hay with this and start to question Bettmans claims, and their previous now seemingly refuted notions.

So I listened to Deano and Gordie on the drive home, and guess what they said? "Well how can we trust the article. It seems to fit what the NHLPA has said."

Then they say fans wont want to hear this as this makes it uncomfortable because presumably after all their propaganda and disinformation campaigns to break the union, all is now going to go down the drain having to investgate these new numbers. They were so close, now they will have to call up some young bubble players and see if they understand advanced econometrics, or are they are just being led down the path by Goodenow.

All of a sudden they are investigative journalists. The fact that Philadelphia Flyers President refuted the Levitts claims of losses as an accurate reflection of how they internally value their franchise, the fact it is different from their real audited statements, is a minor blip unworthy of investigating. The owners would never use Levitt to lie, he is unimpeachable. Why would owners lie. But an impartial business that has ben valuing franchises for years, they need scrutiny and they will get right on it. The thought of the players telling the truth and the owners lying still hasnt crossed their minds yet.

Well go for it boys. Lets find out then. If this is what it takes for you to do some investigating and questioning, fine. Its not news to me, I've seen all this before. And im just an arrrogant idiot outsider on the couch with an internet connection. Maybe this is all bull. Lets find out eh.

Hows everyone elses local radio guys dfealing with this "unpleasant" revelation of less losses than the league claimed? I bet they are mostly dismissing it.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Wow...

I'm absolutely amazed at how much power the NHL has. Really. It's just boggles the mind.

They have a large majority of fans in their back pocket. I'm sure they are paying many of them off to come on here and tell us how greedy the players are. And on top of that, they also have a lot of the sports media in thier pocket too.

No wonder they are losing so much money, there are som many people being bought off... :joker:

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
thinkwild said:
It is arrogance if I'm sure I was right. And it is a danger you rightly warn me of as I am just as susceptible as the smart people.

Are you sure that you are right as to my intention?

err... It wasn't my intention to warn you anything... I'm not (and nor do I think I am) the body that determines arrogance... IMO, to think one's particular side or opinion absolutely must be the correct one displays arrogance, not ignorance... Arrogance is the true blinding trait... It wasn't my intent to imply that you think that you are absolutely right... Yet after re-reading my previous post, I can see the misinterpretation... I apologize for that...

Truth be told, I've learned alot (and have considered so much) about this CBA stuff from yourself that I personally respect your POV in this subject... Actually, I don't disagree with a lot of what you say... only some ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->