TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Molson isn't part of hockey Ops. Bergevin has no superior in hockey Ops. And plenty of successful teams operate that way too. The problem is more that Molson trusts Bergevin WAY to much, and less that there isn't a hockey ops president in place.

Any way you define it, Molson holds the hammer and he is letting MB continue to make hockey decisions for this team.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Any way you define it, Molson holds the hammer and he is letting MB continue to make hockey decisions for this team.

And he deserves criticism for that, no question at all. I'm just not sure calls for a President of Hockey Ops makes a ton of sense. People just want one so that they'll fire Bergevin.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I would think it's just contractual obligations that come with the agreement to air the Jays in Montreal. Plus from their own point of view, they want to build up the audience for the baseball as they have it all summer whereas the hockey is just a short term thing.
That could well be the case. Could be something to do with their advertisers as well, who knows.

From memory the Impact, Als and Habs playoff plus preseason broadcasts take priority over baseball. I also seem to remember them broadcasting the Cup finals.

If Nashville were to make the finals again, there will be alot of local interest.

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
As long as things like face-saving are more important than winning, we won't get a well-run team and we certainly won't get one with any real degree of transparency. Molson could end the suffering today if he wanted to. All it would take would be for him to admit that he f'd up. Once he owned his mistake he could then correct it by firing the mistake. But if all he wants is to save face and not have to pay a guy not to work then we may as well check out until Bergy's contract expires because this crap is not going to end.

If he is that stubborn he deserves whatever Bergevin brings his way, he can either swallow his pride now or eventually fire him in a year or two but the recovery might take 10 years.

Reactions: Laurentide

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/quiz-should-the-habs-move-on-a-sabres-centre-1.1055952

Two articles relating to ROR from buffalo coming to the habs

thoughts?
No doubt this team could use ROR...

Problem is, an in-division trade is going to cost a lot and Bergevin has already stated that he's not apt to paying a high price to fill a big need.

So not bloody likely - Bergevin is probably waiting for some team to waive their #1C so he can pounce on them a la Byron.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
No doubt this team could use ROR...

Problem is, an in-division trade is going to cost a lot and Bergevin has already stated that he's not apt to paying a high price to fill a big need.

So not bloody likely - Bergevin is probably waiting for some team to waive their #1C so he can pounce on them a la Byron.

Ya I agree... what would be a "fair" trade for him given our assets ?

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
And he deserves criticism for that, no question at all. I'm just not sure calls for a President of Hockey Ops makes a ton of sense. People just want one so that they'll fire Bergevin.

Well to be fair I think firing MB is overdue at this point. And unless Molson sells the team he isn't going anywhere so we're going to have the same issues when the next GM comes...having an owner that simply doesn't understand when things are going wrong and we're digging a hole that will just make it that much harder to ultimately win a cup.

So hiring a President isn't that bad of an idea imo. It removes Molson from making hockey decisions bottom line.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Well to be fair I think firing MB is overdue at this point. And unless Molson sells the team he isn't going anywhere so we're going to have the same issues when the next GM comes...having an owner that simply doesn't understand when things are going wrong and we're digging a hole that will just make it that much harder to ultimately win a cup.

So hiring a President isn't that bad of an idea imo. It removes Molson from making hockey decisions bottom line.

What happens if the President needs to be fired or replaced?

Reactions: Capitano

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Molson isn't part of hockey Ops. Bergevin has no superior in hockey Ops. And plenty of successful teams operate that way too. The problem is more that Molson trusts Bergevin WAY to much, and less that there isn't a hockey ops president in place.

Technically you are correct, Molson's name doesn't appear on their Hockey Ops hierarchy: Hockey Operations

He is listed in their "administration" section: Administration

However, who are we kidding? Who is Bergevin's direct overseer if not Geoff Molson acting on behalf of the ownership group as "Owner, President and CEO"? Bergevin is accountable to Geoff Molson in practise, so he is his direct overseer. For our purposes, this is sufficient. I don't know why you feel compelled to do this kind of hair-splitting.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Correct. There are titles and hierarchical charts but ultimately, it's all about who is exercising control and there is no doubt that the responsibility to oversee Bergevin's actions is assumed by Geoff (acting on behalf of the ownership group, goes without saying).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Someone posted a thread about this. I'm wary of what it would cost to acquire him. He's 27 and has 5 more years at $7.5 -- it's another sizeable contract to absorb plus he's not a no. 1C. Wouldn't want him unless the price is reasonable and Buffalo eats some of his salary.

I'd rather it not happen but it wouldn't surprise me to see Galchneyuk headed Buffalo's way in a package for ROR. The Habs need to add to their already pathetic pop gun offense and IMO trading a Galchenyuk with other assets for ROR wouldn't improve the offense very much.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Technically you are correct, Molson's name doesn't appear on their Hockey Ops hierarchy: Hockey Operations

He is listed in their "administration" section: Administration

However, who are we kidding? Who is Bergevin's direct overseer if not Geoff Molson acting on behalf of the ownership group as "Owner, President and CEO"? Bergevin is accountable to Geoff Molson in practise, so he is his direct overseer. For our purposes, this is sufficient. I don't know why you feel compelled to do this kind of hair-splitting.

Because Molson isn't part of hockey Ops. And if we're not hair splitting, the majority of the GMs in the NHL answer directly to ownership.

And if people don't trust Molson, I'm not sure why they'd trust him to hire an intermediary between himself and the GM.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
What happens if the President needs to be fired or replaced?

I understand your point...but Molson made the mistake of extending this GM without any real reason to do that - a good President wouldn't have done that imo and would have likely fired the GM by now.

But yes, if the President isn't doing a good job then it's no different I agree...but that's where hockey acumen comes in...if you put the right people in charge then success will come. We put a rookie in charge of the most difficult market in the league.

I see your point though...maybe we don't need a president, but having that layer of hockey knowledge is valuable imo..the KEY is to find the right guy. Right now it's hard to see the silver lining in anything MB does because he is running on the spot each and every year. A good hockey man would see this. Molson doesn't.

Reactions: groovejuice

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I understand your point...but Molson made the mistake of extending this GM without any real reason to do that - a good President wouldn't have done that imo and would have likely fired the GM by now.

But yes, if the President isn't doing a good job then it's no different I agree...but that's where hockey acumen comes in...if you put the right people in charge then success will come. We put a rookie in charge of the most difficult market in the league.

I see your point though...maybe we don't need a president, but having that layer of hockey knowledge is valuable imo..the KEY is to find the right guy. Right now it's hard to see the silver lining in anything MB does because he is running on the spot each and every year. A good hockey man would see this. Molson doesn't.

We think. And There is no way a GM gets fired without Ownership approving. Whoever holds the purse always has final say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad