24/ New York Rangers- Wes O'Neill
25/ Edmonton Oilers- Al Montoya
26/ Vancouver Canucks- Enver Linsin
27/ Washington Capitals- Kirill Lymin
28/ San Jose Sharks- Petteri Nokelainen
29/ Washington Capitals- Jeff Schultz
30/ Tampa Bay Lightning- Corey Schneider

Some explanations on some of the picks:

Ducks need a defenseman and I think Meszaros is underrated and damn good...
Thrashers need a defenseman too but I think they'll go with Stafford since they need a couple wingers and they can be patient with Stafford
Blues don't need a goalie, they need some forwards...
Senators take Garlock, who I was looking around and saw that Mizral considered him a character forward, like Morrow, I don't know how true it is, but I think if he is a character forward like Morrow, they need a guy like him.
Canucks could trade up to get Montoya but they don't...

Other than that, I have nothing much to say

Last edited by a moderator:

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
thestonedkoala said:
Blues don't need a goalie, they need some forwards

Finally someone gets it.

With that said, I wouldn't be upset if the Blues took Schwarz or Montoya.

Nice mock. The only one that I find pretty iffy is Meszaros going nine. I think either Green or Valabik have a better chance getting to top 10.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
thestonedkoala said:
1/ Washington Capitals- Alexander Ovechkin
2/ Pittsburgh Penguins- Evengii Malkin
3/ Chicago Blackhawks- Andrew Ladd
4/ Columbus Blue Jackets- Cam Barker
5/ Phoenix Coyotes- Lauri Tukonen
6/ New York Rangers- Rostislav Olesz
7/ Florida Panthers- Robbie Schremp
8/ Carolina Hurricanes- AJ Thelen
9/ Anaheim Mighty Ducks- Andrej Meszaros
10/ Atlanta Thrashers- Drew Stafford
11/ Los Angeles Kings- Marek Schwarz
12/ Minnesota Wild- Alexander Radulov
13/ Buffalo Sabres- Ladislav Smid
14/ Edmonton Oilers- Wojtek Wolski
15/ Nashville Predators- Kyle Chipchura
16/ New York Islanders- Mike Green
17/ St. Louis Blues- Alexander Picard
18/ Montreal Canadians- Boris Valabik
19/ Calgary Flames- Lauri Korpikoski
20/ Dallas Stars- Johann Fransson
21/ Colorado Avalanche- Roman Voloshenko
22/ New Jersey Devils- Oscar Hedman
23/ Ottawa Senators- Ryan Garlock
24/ New York Rangers- Wes O'Neill
25/ Edmonton Oilers- Al Montoya
26/ Vancouver Canucks- Victor Alexanderov
27/ Washington Capitals- Kirill Lymin
28/ San Jose Sharks- Petteri Nokelainen
29/ Washington Capitals- Jeff Schultz
30/ Tampa Bay Lightning- Corey Schneider

Some explanations on some of the picks:

Ducks need a defenseman and I think Meszaros is underrated and damn good...
Thrashers need a defenseman too but I think they'll go with Stafford since they need a couple wingers and they can be patient with Stafford
Blues don't need a goalie, they need some forwards...
Senators take Garlock, who I was looking around and saw that Mizral considered him a character forward, like Morrow, I don't know how true it is, but I think if he is a character forward like Morrow, they need a guy like him.
Canucks could trade up to get Montoya but they don't...

Other than that, I have nothing much to say

Two problems:

Where are Lisin(especially) and Sindel? I think they're both 1st round talents.

I really don't think Hedman is a 1st round talent. Also, he doesn't have all that great of a work ethic, so I don't believe that NJ would use a pick on him.

Other than that, great mock(I'm especially happy that the caps got Lyamin, I think he's a top 20 talent).

thestonedkoala

The problem is a lot of teams need defense (Stars) and not many need forwards...

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
thestonedkoala said:
The problem is a lot of teams need defense (Stars) and not many need forwards...

While that may be true, this draft is pretty deep in D prospects (in respect to the other positions), and weak on the front, so some teams may feel compelled to go forward with their first pick.

thestonedkoala

True but some teams are front loaded with offense or like the Stars, they pick a defenseman and hope a guy like Wheeler or Sindel falls down.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
If the Senators want a character forward at 23, why do they take Garlock and pass over Bolland? Bolland's a much better prospect than Garlock, in almost every way.

Other things: No way MOntoya falls that far. Hell I'd want Ottawa to take him at 23 even with Emery, Guard and Thompson in the system. A goalie with all-star potential does not fall that far in this draft. At a certain point somebody will take him and use him as an asset becuase in reality that's what drafting is about: collecting assets.

thestonedkoala

Sorry I forgot about Bolland, I'll add him and toss Garlock out.

The problem is like I said, a LOT of teams don't need goaltenders I don't believe and I believe this is a very deep goaltending year so if Ottawa wanted a potentially solid goaltender they could get one later.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
Sorry I forgot about Bolland, I'll add him and toss Garlock out.

The problem is like I said, a LOT of teams don't need goaltenders I don't believe and I believe this is a very deep goaltending year so if Ottawa wanted a potentially solid goaltender they could get one later.

That's just the thing though. Ottawa does not need a goalie. They have one of the best prospects in Emery, and two guys who in their final WHL seasons, were both among the best in their respective leagues. So in no way do they need MOntoya, but when you consider Montoya has the upside to be an all-star goalie, and few teams can say they have an all-star goalie right now in the NHL, you take it for assets sake.

Please note, this is not a shot at you, but more of a general statement. Montoya and Schwarz are top 10 picks this year. Ya, entirely possible they fall a bit becuase goalies aren't in high demand, but I don't doubt that a team like the Wild, like the Senators (if they had an earlier pick), like the Ducks, could take one becuase they are undoutedly the best asset available at their selection.

It's a good mock though. The goalie ranting is a general frustration. :banghead:

thestonedkoala

It really is when you consider some solid goaltenders come out of the 6th round while a lot of busts come out of the 1st round.

I agree if they are the BAP they will take them...

Personally I think Emery has All-Star status and is further along in his development...

It's just really frustrating though!

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
12/ Minnesota Wild- Alexander Radulov

Nice way to work your mock so you get the player you want the Wild to draft. :snide:

I like it in general, but like Hossa said, there's no way Montoya lasts until the Oilers second pick

thestonedkoala

Actually not really, it was hard for me, Radulov or Montoya or Picard or Wolski

Super-Rye

Jul 4, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I can see Calgary ending up with Korpikoski. At first I didn't like the sound of it but the more and more I hear about this kid the more and more I want Sutter to draft him.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
thestonedkoala said:
16/ New York Islanders- Mike Green
17/ St. Louis Blues- Alexander Picard
18/ Montreal Canadians- Boris Valabik

Isles website has a new draft article up by F. Rizzo III.It talks about Barker,Thelan,Valabik,Smid and Meszaros all going in the 1st round.

Rizzo points out that after these 5 defensemen the field is wide open,the next group of defensive prospects have question marks that will likely keep them from going in the 1st round.Green's among this group.I'm not sure if Rizzo's spoken to the nyi scouts or formed his opinions from other scouts :dunno:

I'm hoping Valabik's gone by the time the Isles pick.I'm hoping for a safer pick.I'd be happy to see them land Picard in the 1st round,then look for defense in the next few rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->