Tryamkin's Top 100 NHL Affiliated Prospects

Lackhalak

May 26, 2017
Well that can be said about so many other goalies, thats why I think its not so obvious.

Who else that belongs on this list? The 3 Russians, Hart and Husso. Outside of those top 6 goalie prospects who has shown that kind of progression?

Reactions: Tryamkin

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I don't watch enough prospects to be that knowledgeable, but going off of stats, Vesalainen is waaaay too low. What he is doing in liga is incredible for someone his age.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I don't watch enough prospects to be that knowledgeable, but going off of stats, Vesalainen is waaaay too low. What he is doing in liga is incredible for someone his age.
I’m willing to bet Kotkaniemi passes his number of points next year, but he is a little low.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
nope, in his 2nd AHL year his numbers weren't even close to Demkos 2nd AHL year. Comries 3rd year still isn't as good as Demkos 2nd year.
Year is not important, they are about the same age.

Point is, I am not missing names and the OP did a fine job.

I am just not a big fan of goalie prospects because its terribly hard to predict how good one will be. I just constantly read the name Thatcher Demko around here. I see nice numbers and so but not stunning and suddenly I see his name pop again at spot 18 in front of so many other great prospects. I understand its just a ranking of a random fan but I doubt Thatcher Demko is a blue chip prospect.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
What are your thoughts on Texier and Gavrikov from Columbus? Kind of surprised atleast 1 of them isnt on there
I’m actually a big fan of Gavrikov. I probably should’ve included him, but he’s a HM.

Texier is alright, I don’t see him near the top 100 though.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
i really need this for NHL 18. wish i knew teams well. oh well. some one else that should have probably made it was Janne Kuokkonen. i need to know who to make besides middlestat tolvenan borgstorm sorokin shestyorkin samsonov kaprizov norris poehling oettinger and dahlin. wouldn't mind if i could get some help?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
somebody i think you could have taken off was Julien Gauthier. 16 points in the AHL in 55 games played. I actually really prefer Foegele way more. Leads all AHL Rookies in the AHL in scoring, has 4 SHG and is a amazing PK'er. Bean could be put higher, ik he isn't PPG but we wanted him to play a little more D and focus a little less on offence. the dude is still amazing at offence just focused more on defense.

Goal scoring, not scoring. And he has the leading rookie scorer ranked 99th.

And second in the AHL for dmen scoring (not just rookies) 76th.

Apparently a hard list to climb ;)

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
i really need this for NHL 18. wish i knew teams well. oh well. some one else that should have probably made it was Janne Kuokkonen. i need to know who to make besides middlestat tolvenan borgstorm sorokin shestyorkin samsonov kaprizov norris poehling oettinger and dahlin. wouldn't mind if i could get some help?
Kuokkanen is a great spec. He’s in my HM’s. If I did it again I would probably include him over someone like Ronning or Meloche. I’ll @ you with a list later if I have time!

Reactions: SebastianAhoe

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
No way is Frost Behind Thomas.

Tolvanen too high
Frost too low
Chytil too high
Valardi too high (skating is very troubling)
Liljegren too low

Puckluck

Jan 8, 2016
Thanks for the list. I would have Vesalainen much ahead of Heponiemi though. Vesalainen plays with men, Hepo with juniors.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Nice work. I agree with most of the list.

Things that I disagree with: Samsonov/Demko are way too high relative to the other two Russians and Hart. At least for the Russians, I liked Sorokin and Shestyorkin more than Samsonov.

Donato had an objectively better year than Borgström and has similar upside but was ranked 13 spots worse. Borgström was a re-entry and is fairly close to Donato in age. They should be ranked fairly similar. Both should border ~top-25.

Kyrou at 14 seems too high as well. Frost had a very similar if not more productive season. Kyrou might have had more points, but Frost was very close and had a lot more ES points than Kyrou and is a full year younger. Either Kyrou should be moved down to ~30 or Frost up to ~15.

That's it. Otherwise this may be the best list I have seen.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018

Tolvanen too high
Frost too low
Chytil too high
Liljegren too low

How is Chytil too high? He’s producing (in his first year on North American ice at barely 18 years old) as the #1 center on a bad Hartford team in a very physical, relatively low-scoring professional league. He’s not lighting up the league like Pettersson, but his size and skill emulates the style of the NHL in an environment not too far off from it. He’s a boy among men, but it often looks like the opposite. The biggest knock on his game I can think of at this point is that he’s terrible on faceoffs and needs to add some weight, which is endemic to basically every player of his age.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada

Things that I disagree with: Samsonov/Demko are way too high relative to the other two Russians and Hart. At least for the Russians, I liked Sorokin and Shestyorkin more than Samsonov.

Donato had an objectively better year than Borgström and has similar upside but was ranked 13 spots worse. Borgström was a re-entry and is fairly close to Donato in age. They should be ranked fairly similar. Both should border ~top-25.

Kyrou at 14 seems too high as well. Frost had a very similar if not more productive season. Kyrou might have had more points, but Frost was very close and had a lot more ES points than Kyrou and is a full year younger. Either Kyrou should be moved down to ~30 or Frost up to ~15.

Thanks! I have certain likings of some players and just rate them higher because I think they’ll end up better than the common eye thinks, or I like certain knacks of their game, so I see where you’re coming from for sure.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada

Tolvanen too high
Frost too low
Chytil too high
Liljegren too low
Thanks for your opinions man, just a few quick reasonings on my placements:

Tolvanen is doing something that’s never been done before in the KHL, and is putting up unreal numbers. He’ll sign soon and we’ll see what he can really do in the NHL.

Frost again has had a great year, and I really think he has potential to be top 6 center, but I’m worried how his game will translate to the NHL. It’s a big jump from juniors to pros.

Chytil has shown his promise throughout the year in the AHL and the WJC’s. I really think he’ll be a top line elite player in the NHL. He’s one of the most versatile players I’ve seen for a while. If Center doesn’t work out for him, he can play both wings very well. He’s played lots of right wing, and left wing when younger due to being left handed.

I’m not worried about Vilardi’s skating. Look at Brock Boeser. Most people (including my self for a while) slept on Brock for an extended period of time because of how janky his skating was. People said he would never even make it pro, but now he’s 2nd in the Calder race and nearly PPG in his first season. With power skating training and high end professional skating coaches training Gabe like Brock had, I think Vilardi can fulfill his potential of a high end center.

Timothy Liljegren will and has always been a wildcard. He’s been doing great at the AHL level, but the NHL level is different, and i’m interested to see how well he can defend against the league’s top end players.

These are just my opinions of course, and you’re subject to your own.

Reactions: KingTrouty

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

They're a a year and four months apart - not that close, plus Donato has played three seasons in the NCAA as opposed to Borgstrom's two. That's not to take away from Donato who looks excellent as well; just saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad