Tryamkin's May 2018 Top 300 Draft Rankings

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Nice work friend. I would personally flip flop Tkachuk and Wahlstrom and move Scott Perunovich way up but hey, I'm no expert.

I like how you have the Woo-Eggenberger all-name combo I covet for the Canucks within striking range. Thanks for that, that was a nice touch ;)

Reactions: Tryamkin

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Great work, don't know how you can rank 300! That's a lot.

Some questions about some later rankings.
  • Bit curious as to why Back is higher than Gustafsson. I see Gust as a Lundestrom level player, very similar in their playing style, maybe even better statistically when you consider, Lundestrom plays nearly 5 min more per game. Lundestrom is only 40% on draws, Gust is 50%, both with over 400 draws, so its not a small sample. Younger as well. Then vs Back: comparing on ice performance, i feel Back just doesn't standout much at all offensively, Gust drives the net a lot more. Both equal and strong defensively. Gust's small sample at J20 shows he can produce there at a higher rate than Back. I also thought Gust handedly outplayed Back at the U18s.
  • Weiss behind Hain and Pivonka? I am not sure about that for me. Weiss displays more offensive acumen than both those guys combined. I can see Weiss being the Troy Terry of the NTDP/of this draft; under-rated, but should have a good college career. BTW, you have two Weiss' on your list: 92+117 (Unless there is another one i'm not aware of :laugh:).
I like Gustafsson, but I’m still questionable about his potential, it doesn’t look super high to me. He’s constantly ranked late 2nd/ 3rd round and I’m factoring that into choices as well for this ranking. I’ve been high on Back and got that question last month too I believe, I just like his size and play style, somewhat of a hunch. I do like the recent production and skill Gustafsson has shown, I can tell you heed a lot higher in my final ranking.

I haven’t seen a ton of USNDP, so that’s a little murky for me, but I can see why you think that. Pivonka has some good rising potential that I really like, Hain is a solid player. Weiss is another guy who will rise by the final rankings for sure, his offensive output is nice. I’m not sure why he was listed twice, I’ll fix when I can.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Love your work - not sure if I've remembered to say so in the past!

I have to say it crushes my soul a little bit to see you list Hughes at 4, as I've been arguing that I'd take him behind Boqvist and Bouchard with the head of the Hughes fan-club on the Oilers board. I can understand the arguments in his favour though.

Curious to hear your reasoning for Denisenko at 15 - just the total package? I love his tools, but remain concerned about his ability to actually translate it at the NHL level.

Last edited:

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Love you work - not sure if I've remembered to say so in the past!

I have to say it crushes my soul a little bit to see you list Hughes at 4, as I've been arguing that I'd take him behind Boqvist and Bouchard with the head of the Hughes fan-club on the Oilers board. I can understand the arguments in his favour though.

Curious to hear your reasoning for Denisenko at 15 - just the total package? I love his tools, but remain concerned about his ability to actually translate it at the NHL level.
Thanks a lot! Hughes has always been hanging around near the top for me, and his talent is undeniable. His performances at the Frozen Four and recently with the US have shown that he can play with the big boys.

As for Denisenko, his shot and skill speaks for itself. The package is there, and obviously the transition is the worry. I think now in more modern hockey, you don’t see the transition to the NHL being as difficult as portrayed. He’s a very lucrative pick that can reap rewards.

Reactions: Aerrol

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Good list! Weiss is at 92 and 117. Would like to have him with a 4th rounder.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Curious what made you put Stotts, Leppard, Burzan, Florchuk, and Chyzowski all ahead of Wouters just from the dub forwards? Wouters played C all year

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Curious what made you put Stotts, Leppard, Burzan, Florchuk, and Chyzowski all ahead of Wouters just from the dub forwards? Wouters played C all year
Just a notes mix up, he used to play LW. Haven’t watched Chase for a while, at least not in depth. He’ll be moving up in my final ranking for sure, I won’t spoil exactly where he is right now.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Great job as always. One of the best prospect lists on these boards in my opinion. Glad to see you’ve come around on Bokk, Berggren, and Sandin. Also noticed you’be dropped Merkley as well...he’s really the definition of boom or bust.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Great job as always. One of the best prospect lists on these boards in my opinion. Glad to see you’ve come around on Bokk, Berggren, and Sandin. Also noticed you’be dropped Merkley as well...he’s really the definition of boom or bust.
Thanks a lot man! Bokk I’ve dropped actually from last month.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
As far as I could tell, you had Oliver True as the lone Dane on the list. He might have an advantage from playing in Canada, but Phillip Schultz is definitely the best Dane going in to this draft. Just for your information.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
As far as I could tell, you had Oliver True as the lone Dane on the list. He might have an advantage from playing in Canada, but Phillip Schultz is definitely the best Dane going in to this draft. Just for your information.
I’d be lying if I said I watched the Danish league my man :laugh:. I only include players that I’ve watched. True being a CHL player has gained him exposure. I have t heard anything too crazy from him that merited a watch.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
What concerns you have for Bode Wilde?
I see him as a top 15 pick
Well, we know what he can do. He’s a big puck moving RHD that has a cannon of a shot and is very mobile, however he has a few issues or inconsistencies. His defense can look sketchy at times, and his decision making is not very good.

Reactions: pmwlker

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
What is keeping Akil Thomas down in rankings? I haven't watched him a lot, so I ask this as a question, not a disagreement. Just seems like the things I read about him, and where those same people have him ranked, don't align. What prevents him from being in the top 15-20 for you?

Kudos on this extensive list, it's an impressive feat for sure.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
What is keeping Akil Thomas down in rankings? I haven't watched him a lot, so I ask this as a question, not a disagreement. Just seems like the things I read about him, and where those same people have him ranked, don't align. What prevents him from being in the top 15-20 for you?

Kudos on this extensive list, it's an impressive feat for sure.
Thanks!

Thomas is an interesting player. He’s played center, but projected to be a winger at the NHL level, his skill set represents a winger much better. He has that nice clean shot that would look great off the wing. He’s got good speed and vision, and thrives on special teams. He needs to add some muscle mass, and watching him leaves me wanting more from his good skill set. I’ll watch a game and I’ll say, he has such a good shot, how did he not score, or he’s got great speed, how come he didn’t burst past defenders? I’d compare it to a superhero harnessing his powers. He’s got a good skill set and needs to utilize it better!

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Thanks!

Thomas is an interesting player. He’s played center, but projected to be a winger at the NHL level, his skill set represents a winger much better. He has that nice clean shot that would look great off the wing. He’s got good speed and vision, and thrives on special teams. He needs to add some muscle mass, and watching him leaves me wanting more from his good skill set. I’ll watch a game and I’ll say, he has such a good shot, how did he not score, or he’s got great speed, how come he didn’t burst past defenders? I’d compare it to a superhero harnessing his powers. He’s got a good skill set and needs to utilize it better!

Makes sense. I read all about the superpowers but don't see the execution so there's the disconnect. Sounds like a guy that has a high ceiling if he could put it all together. Thanks for the response!

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Makes sense. I read all about the superpowers but don't see the execution so there's the disconnect. Sounds like a guy that has a high ceiling if he could put it all together. Thanks for the response!
No problem! I agree, he could honestly be a top line winger if he puts in all together.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
What do you know about Simon Johansson? What happened to him between last year and this year where he made a huge jump and seems to be in the conversation for a mid-round pick?

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
THANK YOU FOR SHARING!! :)

You know it's a good year because there really is no consensus on so many players... After the top 2 it's up in the air, and then again around 16ish.

Just curious about McShane. I like him quite a bit... I guess you find him a bit vanilla? Or just guys you like better?

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
THANK YOU FOR SHARING!! :)

You know it's a good year because there really is no consensus on so many players... After the top 2 it's up in the air, and then again around 16ish.

Just curious about McShane. I like him quite a bit... I guess you find him a bit vanilla? Or just guys you like better?
Thanks man!
Yeah, the group is really wide open for sure. Yeah Allan McShane just seems like such a vanilla player to me. Very well rounded, but no high end skills. I’ve found that I like the players with elite skills much better.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
What do you know about Simon Johansson? What happened to him between last year and this year where he made a huge jump and seems to be in the conversation for a mid-round pick?
His production didn’t jump too crazily, but he increased his scoring ability. He almost scored more goals than assists which is quite impressive, as well as starting out in the SHL. I’m expecting a breakout year in the SHL next year.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
the isles would be pumped if tkachuk and ty smith are both there for their picks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->