Tryamkin's 2017 Final Mock Draft

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Here's my final mock draft for 2017. This is my best guess to how I think the draft will unfold, without trades.

Disclaimer: This is how I think the mock will go, not my own rankings. My rankings will be in a different thread and will most likely be quite different to the mock. I've watched a good 20 games in parts for the top 8 or so players, and try to watch at least 3-5 for the next few rounds.

Previous Results:
2015 NHL Draft: 9/30 Correct
2016 NHL Draft: 5/30 Correct

1. :devils select C Nico Hischier
Reasoning: Although rumors circle of need for defense, the real decision is down to Nico and Nolan. The Devils taken Nico, the safer, more injury free pick. Nico's soft hands, great stickhandling, and dynamic skating ability are just some key elements that he'll bring to a Devils team sure to surge alongside players like Hall and Zacha.

2. :flyers select C Nolan Patrick
Reasoning: The Flyers have made it evident that they are perfectly happy with sitting pretty at 2 and taking the top center that falls through, that being Nolan. Although injuries could be an issue, Nolan no doubt has raw talent and the opportunity to impact at the NHL level in his first year with his potent combo of size, skill, and speed.

3. :stars select D Miro Heiskanen
Reasoning: Heiskanen isn't a flashy defenseman, but he brings the responsibilty to the table. Dallas still has quite a young core, and going forward with Benn and Seguin, along with a balanced top pair of Heiskanen and Klingberg is championship esque. As I said, his Hockey IQ, spacial awareness, and puck moving skills make him a steady defenseman for years to come.

4. :avs select C Gabriel Vilardi
Reasoning: The Avs take two-way Corsi monster Gabe Vilardi at 4. He just lines up with Colorado's team perfectly. He impacts the players around him so well that any time he plays with a different player, their Corsi and advanced stats take a spike with Vilardi producing and providing for his linemates. He can also play wing quite well, even as a natural center, which is a good trait with Colorado's backlog of Duchene and MacKinnon. With Duchene soon to be traded, Vilardi will grow into his spot, producing for his teammates.

5. :nucks select D Cale Makar
Reasoning: Jim Benning has been talking a lot about needing a PP QB and Makar is just that. A fantastic dynamic defenseman that has one of the highest ceilings of a defenseman I've seen for a while. He is traditionally undersized for a D man but has a physical edge that helps him dig in defensively. Future top pair guy alongside Hutton / Juolevi. Stocks up Vancouver's defense looking good for the future.

6. :vegas select C Cody Glass
Reasoning: Vegas is starting from scratch. They have no positional needs whatsoever and will pick just straight BPA at 6. Glass can create very well, making the teammates around him better much like Vilardi. Great hands and speed, but opts more to pass instead of shooting. Think Patrice Bergeron lite.

7. :rangers select C Casey Mittlestadt
Reasoning: The Rangers will need a center for the future after trading away Derek Stepan and Casey can be just that. His two way play and one on one flair will translate well to the NHL and start to replenish the center depth of the Rangers. They seem to be starting to re-tool now.

8. :sabres select D Timothy Liljegren
Reasoning: Although wanting Makar to fall, Sabres will take a chance on Timothy Liljegren, adding a spark to their future defense that they really didn't have too much of (aside from Risto + Guhle etc.). Liljegren is one of the bigger boom or bust players this year, but proper development could see an elite top pairing D.

9. :wings select C Elias Pettersson
Reasoning: Red Wings run up to the podium to snag one of their highest coveted players who fell into their lap. The two-way forward who can play both center and wing is just what the Wings need. He can slot in nicely to form a deadly one-two punch with Dylan Larkin in the future.

10. :panthers select RW Owen Tippett
Reasoning: Florida take one of the best pure goal scorers in the draft in Owen Tippett. His powerful skating, and cannon of a shot will slot in beautifully on Barkov's wing. Also the best pure winger in the draft.

11. :kings select C Martin Necas
Reasoning: Seems like a match made in heaven for the Kings. Strong and capable two way forward who distributes the puck well, and is responsible defensively, a workhorse who is the engine of the team. Can step in well one Kopitar and Carter start to fade out.

12. :canes select C Michael Rasmussen
Reasoning: The big 6'5 center can add a physical element to a smaller Carolina sqaud. Their already stacked defense needs some offensive oomph which Rasmussen can provide.

13. :vegas select D Juuso Valimaki
Reasoning: Vegas takes the steady defenseman and will start their bank of defensive prospects, adding him into their pool of Theodore and Reinhart. He can add a great two way attribute to their lineup, using his strong wrist shot to get pucks to the net in front of traffic.

14. :bolts select D Erik Brannstrom
Reasoning: Another boom or bust type player, the Bolts pick up another smaller one in Brannstrom who really moves the puck well and is great in transition. If pans out well may take a few years to develop and can sit behind his Swedish country man Victor Hedman and learn his style of game which could work out well for the Swedish LHD.

15. :vegas select C Nick Suzuki
Reasoning: Vegas go BPA as the speedy dynamic center fits in perfectly to their plans, a skilled and speedy center still there. His high hockey IQ and special teams prowess should work well for the Vegas once he makes the pros.

16. :flames select RW/LW Kristian Vesalainen
Reasoning: Flames pick the wildcard Vesalainen, adding some grit to their future top six, rounding out a fantastic looking group of Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau, and Tkachuk.

17. :leafs select D Callan Foote
Reasoning: The Leafs take 6'3 smart defenseman Callan Foote. Callan can bring a calming smart style to the Leafs back end, playing solid defensively, very good at poking pucks loose and shutting down rushes.

18. :bruins select RW Klim Kostin
Reasoning: The bruins select a pure sniper. The wicked shooting Russian has a cannon and isn't afraid to unleash it. Tall forward plays power forward esque and can rip his big shot when needed. The Russian factor may play a part as he refused to play for the Kootenay Ice after he was drafted as the first overall pick in the CHL draft.

19. :sharks select C/LW Lias Andersson
Reasoning: The Sharks go BPA and take the falling versatile Swede who can slot in well on the wing or center, naturally playing down the middle. His smooth skating and two-way play will translate well to the NHL and could very well be one of the steals of the draft.

20. :blues select C Robert Thomas
Reasoning: Blues take the playmaking two-way center Robert Thomas. He may be a little early, but they believe he's the best forward available in a slew of defensemen. Reads the game well with a very high hockey IQ.

21. :rangers select C Ryan Poehling
Reasoning: The Rangers pick the hard-working talent Ryan Poehling. He's jumped up the ranking recently and the Rangers take a chance on him as a hopeful future top 6 center. If he shores up his defensive game a little he can be a force with a strong two-way game.

22. :edmonton select D Nick Hague
Reasoning: Reasoning: Needing some defensive attention now with a fantastic offense, Edmonton add some power in the back with the 6'6 physical d-man who has a high hockey IQ on the back end and plays the game very smart. He is also quite mobile for a big guy which the Oilers will need.

23. :coyotes select LW Eeli Tolvanen
Reasoning: Arizona will take pure sniper Tolvanen who has one of the best shots in the draft. Despite being smaller he can find perfect spots to set up shop and picks his corners well. He should stack up right behind Max Domi and fill up their LW depth perfectly.

24. :jets select D Pierre Olivier-Joseph
Reasoning: Winnipeg adds a potential top 4 LHD PP QB to their prospect pool to hopefully sit behind Morrissey. Great passing and vision from the back, also loves to jump into the rush and attack. Very mobile shut down defender who just needs to fill out his frame.

25. :habs select RW/LW Kailer Yammamoto
Reasoning: Habs take the super skilled, and super small playmaking winger who has top 10 skill but just isn't big enough. In the right situation can grow into a top 6 role well with a late growth spurt. 160 pounds is not big enough to make an impact the the NHL level.

26. :hawks select C Josh Norris
Reasoning: Chicago takes the rising center Josh Norris who brings a very hard-working chippy game to the Hawks. He likes to dig in front of the net and isn't afraid to get dirty which should translate well in the modern game. His combine performance really helped his first round campaign.

27. :blues select D Connor Timmins
Reasoning: The Blues take a chance on the smart defenseman who can grow to quarterback the powerplay on the NHL level with the right growth. Adds well to St Louis' great defensive pool.

28. :sens select G Jake Oettinger
Reasoning: Far and away the best goaltender available, Oettinger looks promising as a great goalie, dropping to 28 because most teams are afraid to splash on a goalie early in the draft. Sens can afford a risk with a good lineup of specs.

29. :stars select RW Kole Lind
Reasoning: After going with Heiskanen early, the stars take talented winger Kole Lind who drops a bit down the list but despite being 172 lbs can hold his own and isn't afraid to drop the mitts. His speed and chance creation really jump out.

30. :nashville select C Jaret Anderson-Dolan
Reasoning: The Preds bulk up their center depth with the smart center that has a good skill set. His shot shows promise, some development could turn into a weapon, maybe needing a little defensive work + backchecking.

31. :pens select D Henri Jokiharju
Reasoning: Their future defensive line looks a little sketchy with the whereabouts of Letang and the wildcard Pouliot, Jokiharju adds a steady mobile piece to the Pens defense that may need some work.​

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I certainly can't complain about where the Leafs go in this one. I think Foote is a solid pick if they decide to go that route.

Minor error though for that Leaf pick "Callan can bring a calming smart style to the Oilers back end" They trading that pick to Edmonton after they make the pick in that scenario ;)?

Should be interesting to see how the picks mesh up with the real draft. Though of course picks will be traded and probably throw things into chaos.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Although I like the Leafs picking Foote I prefer he be a calming presence for the Leafs d-core rather than the Oilers.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Although I like the Leafs picking Foote I prefer he be a calming presence for the Leafs d-core rather than the Oilers.

I certainly can't complain about where the Leafs go in this one. I think Foote is a solid pick if they decide to go that route.

Minor error though for that Leaf pick "Callan can bring a calming smart style to the Oilers back end" They trading that pick to Edmonton after they make the pick in that scenario ;)?

Should be interesting to see how the picks mesh up with the real draft. Though of course picks will be traded and probably throw things into chaos.

Damn you guys got me, I more or less was rushing to finish posting this after finished my 5,000 word rankings that took weeks. Forgot to edit some parts and I guess that one slipped through the cracks.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Suzuki is there I hope Tampa takes him. With the trading of Drouin for Sergachev I have to think they go forward with the pick.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
>160 lbs not big enough to make an impact at NHL level
>Watches Gaudreau play his team multiple times per year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->