Tryamkin’s Post-WJC Top 200 January Draft Rankings

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
Tkachuk had a great interview on Bob MacKenzie's mid-season draft coverage on TSN. He seems like a great kid with a justifiably good-sized amount of swagger. He could go top 5! Blunt opinions about issues with Merkely, though - how'd you like to be that kid or his parents, watching that being said about ya?

The hosts made pointed remarks about
(a) the lack of Canadians in the top-tier,
(b) the lack of centers in the top 10 (not until #12) and
(c) that McBain perhaps took the wrong route by going Junior A, and has suffered accordingly, saying he could likely drop further into second round (as I have mentioned before).
Almost a bit of a warning shot to other Canadian players who may be thinking of going the same route?

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
you’re wrong in saying Bob said “likely to drop” watch the show....

He Said “scouts question whether playing 2 years in the OJHL was the right move. He COULD move UP in the rankings or down and slip into the second round based on how he plays the remainder of the year”
But that’s true of many......

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
you’re wrong in saying Bob said “likely to drop” watch the show....

Watched again - yah, you're right - I stand corrected.
Also, I do agree that the same applies to many (not Dahlin, hahhah)

BTW Can anyone answer this question:
what does it matter if a guy goes late first or early second? He'll still have to grow as a player with a CHL, NCAA,or minor league team, etc... Does going top 31 affect contract signings? I'm ignorant about this...

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I think Brady Tkachuk will dissapoint most with high hopes for him. I see him as a weaker edition of his brother, which doesn’t go in the top 10 of this draft for me.

I guess it depends on what you’re expecting out of him. I wouldn’t take him over any of Dahlin, Svechnikov or Zadina but at #4 there’s no prospect that really sets themselves apart from Tkachuk for me. I think he’s going to be a top 6 winger, somewhere in the 20-25 goal, 55-65 point range. He’s got that grit to his game that’s going to make him tough to play against and on the right line, he’s really going to be a nice complimentary player for more skilled guys. His upside definitely isn’t as high as some other guys but I think he’s a safe bet to reach or almost reach his upside. If you got that type of player at #4, that’s one hell of a draft pick.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Watched again - yah, you're right - I stand corrected.
Also, I do agree that the same applies to many (not Dahlin, hahhah)

BTW Can anyone answer this question:
what does it matter if a guy goes late first or early second? He'll still have to grow as a player with a CHL, NCAA,or minor league team, etc... Does going top 31 affect contract signings? I'm ignorant about this...

It rally doesn’t matter, it’s just the position they’re drafted in. Maybe a team gives them a few more bonuses and what not but going late first or early 2nd, has no affect on the player’s contract really.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
What's your take on a few of these players:

1.) Cameron Hillis

2.) Jack Drury

3.) Austin Wong (Not Listed)

Hillis:
Good center with average size and weight for his age who has been scoring at a very strong pace in the OHL with Guelph. Fast skater who plays with high energy and a fast paced style. Very hard working down and dirty style complimented with very good hands and vision. Good on the PK. Due to rise up my list with a few more viewings.

Drury:
Nephew of former 60 Point forward Chris Drury, Jack shows some similarities and has shown a great level of talent at a young age in the USHL. Good skater that is already above a PPG level this year. Another super hard working player who puts his head down and plays with a lot of passion. Very good attitude and passion for the game. Determined kid who’s already committed to Harvard.

Wong:
Another Harvard commit who I can’t say I’ve seen much of in the AJHL. I do know that he’s currently owned by the Lethbridge Hurricanes but hasn’t played aside from training camps. He has over 200 PIM in only 40 games which is an interesting little tidbit..

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Hillis:
Good center with average size and weight for his age who has been scoring at a very strong pace in the OHL with Guelph. Fast skater who plays with high energy and a fast paced style. Very hard working down and dirty style complimented with very good hands and vision. Good on the PK. Due to rise up my list with a few more viewings.

Drury:
Nephew of former 60 Point forward Chris Drury, Jack shows some similarities and has shown a great level of talent at a young age in the USHL. Good skater that is already above a PPG level this year. Another super hard working player who puts his head down and plays with a lot of passion. Very good attitude and passion for the game. Determined kid who’s already committed to Harvard.

Wong:
Another Harvard commit who I can’t say I’ve seen much of in the AJHL. I do know that he’s currently owned by the Lethbridge Hurricanes but hasn’t played aside from training camps. He has over 200 PIM in only 40 games which is an interesting little tidbit..

Thanks! Appreciate the insight.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Hillis:

Drury:

Wong:
From the limited views I have seen Wong, he is a very skilled scorer that hits very hard. He's that guy that shows no fear of anyone. So if someone were to chirp him, he'd go directly towards them. Idk if all his Pmins are of just him fighting and hitting in bad places though. He'd get more goals if he wasn't always in the penalty box. :laugh:

Reactions: Tryamkin

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
From the limited views I have seen Wong, he is a very skilled scorer that hits very hard. He's that guy that shows no fear of anyone. So if someone were to chirp him, he'd go directly towards them. Idk if all his Pmins are of just him fighting and hitting in bad places though. He'd get more goals if he wasn't always in the penalty box. :laugh:

What's he going to do at Harvard? No dropping the gloves there :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad