Tryamkin’s Post-WJC Top 200 January Draft Rankings

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Seems that Brady Tkachuk is way too low on this list at #10. ...I think he is right up there at #2 or #3 on most of the top raking organization lists often referred to to get some consensus when we compare these rankings and comment on these boards. .

I do not think anyone else has hom ranked this low as #10 now after his goid WJHC..

ASIDE from this..I also have Oliver Whalstrom at #7..but the issue for both Tkachuk and Whalstom's is whether they will be wingers or centers in the NHL...IF both are projected as Centres then it means they are the only 2 C's in the top 10...call this the 1st tier of round 1. ..IF they are projected as wingers it means that no Centres apoear in any consensus till some do I tge 2nd tier group ..thus us tge group from 11-20 in my opinion for this draft ...Tge 3rd tier is 21-31 by my reckoning and I do think there is a difference in the 3 tires of round 1 as to impact ..but there always will be done disappointments and sone better than their ranking or tier category better than expected players as tgey get to the NHL. .so it it always a guess..but we posters always look to the various org rankings to get sone consensus . At least for the first 2 tiers of round 1.ter that ...by the 3rd teir of round 1 ,you start varying a lot from any conensus ranking .

So bavk to the Centre issues ...if Tkachuk and Whalstrom project as wingers not Centres ,then the best Centre is only starting in tier 2 ..

My own Centre rankings at this date have :

#11 Isaac Lundestrom
#13 Barrett Hayton
#15 Jesperi Kotkaniemi
#18 .Jack McBain
#20 .Joe Veleno

If I am correct I do not have Rasmus Kupari ,Ryan McLeod ,Akhil Thomas (some say C some say winger ) and Pierre Olivier Groulx as anything but 3rd tier for round 1 ...that is in the 21-31 grouping ..
So ..If I am correct on this and if both Tkachuk and Whalstrom are wingers nit Centres in the NHL ..then it means the best C's according to my rankings woukd be the teir 2 grouping in round 1 as follows.

1.Lundestrom 2.Hayton 3.Kotkaniemi 4. McBain 5.Veleno
So...as all these Centres have different qualities,my question is ..if you coukd get a scouting report as to just faxe-offs ...rank these 5 on their face-off proficiency ..It Could be the factor which changes an NHL team's thinking on which to take first among these 5 (for teams wanting to draft a C and with a 2nd tier pick in the 11-20 spots ...Not every team drafting will want to target a C ..so sone of these may see themselves dripping a bit into the 3rd tier (21-31 geoup)...depends if their is a run on more Dmen and wingers in the 2nd tier picks.

But again I am interested in which ofvthe 5 Centres I think may go from 11-20 isvthe best at draws? AND who is 3nd best...etc..If it s close in ranking as per my example of Lundestrom Hayton and Kotkaniemi or McBain perhaps going ahead of Kotkaniemi on some team's preference,then faceoff prowess Could be a deciding factor on thei targeting one of these guys ..But it is difficult to come up with face-off stats for alk these guys. As well ,some of them play wing onn their euro pro team and only hetvusedxatcC for theirv National Junior or u-18 experience ...thevideaxbeing they should not be given the extra responsibilities of a C in the pros till they gain more pro experience ..So you might not get true fac-off ability unless you scour what they did for their National al squads as Juniors in u-29 and u-18 pkay if these stats are available .
Also the OHL does not give faceoff stats except top 5 in the league ..so again gardctongetcavgandle get a handle von this for OHL Centte prospects for the draft .

The Q dies publish face-off stats for alk players ..so that isvthe easiest source to get a handle of guys like Veleno and Groulx in the dot .

Lijevhexalready OHL,the WHL does not give fac-off stats ..so hard to get a handle on its Centre prospects for the draft. .though this draft no WHL centres look to be first round material .
Do not know I'd Tkachuk plays C in college or if te USNTDP gives face-off stats if Whalstrom playing as a C ..

But if anyone has seen scouting report scintilla who is creaky goid von drawscthatviscI think vital information in evaluating a Centre target .

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Excellent list. I wonder about a few players not on the list. D--Christian Lindberg, Michal Ivan, Martin Bucko, Juuso Ketola. Forwards--Carl Wassenius, Jeremi Gerber, Oliver Okuliar, Andrej Kukuca. I haven't seen any of these players--interested if they are as good as numbers indicate?

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Seems that Brady Tkachuk is way too low on this list at #10. ...I think he is right up there at #2 or #3 on most of the top raking organization lists often referred to to get some consensus when we compare these rankings and comment on these boards. .

I do not think anyone else has hom ranked this low as #10 now after his goid WJHC..

ASIDE from this..I also have Oliver Whalstrom at #7..but the issue for both Tkachuk and Whalstom's is whether they will be wingers or centers in the NHL...IF both are projected as Centres then it means they are the only 2 C's in the top 10...call this the 1st tier of round 1. ..IF they are projected as wingers it means that no Centres apoear in any consensus till some do I tge 2nd tier group ..thus us tge group from 11-20 in my opinion for this draft ...Tge 3rd tier is 21-31 by my reckoning and I do think there is a difference in the 3 tires of round 1 as to impact ..but there always will be done disappointments and sone better than their ranking or tier category better than expected players as tgey get to the NHL. .so it it always a guess..but we posters always look to the various org rankings to get sone consensus . At least for the first 2 tiers of round 1.ter that ...by the 3rd teir of round 1 ,you start varying a lot from any conensus ranking .

So bavk to the Centre issues ...if Tkachuk and Whalstrom project as wingers not Centres ,then the best Centre is only starting in tier 2 ..

#11 Isaac Lundestrom
#13 Barrett Hayton
#15 Jesperi Kotkaniemi
#18 .Jack McBain
#20 .Joe Veleno

If I am correct I do not have Rasmus Kupari ,Ryan McLeod ,Akhil Thomas (some say C some say winger ) and Pierre Olivier Groulx as anything but 3rd tier for round 1 ...that is in the 21-31 grouping ..
So ..If I am correct on this and if both Tkachuk and Whalstrom are wingers nit Centres in the NHL ..then it means the best C's according to my rankings woukd be the teir 2 grouping in round 1 as follows.

So...as all these Centres have different qualities,my question is ..if you coukd get a scouting report as to just faxe-offs ...rank these 5 on their face-off proficiency ..It Could be the factor which changes an NHL team's thinking on which to take first among these 5 (for teams wanting to draft a C and with a 2nd tier pick in the 11-20 spots ...Not every team drafting will want to target a C ..so sone of these may see themselves dripping a bit into the 3rd tier (21-31 geoup)...depends if their is a run on more Dmen and wingers in the 2nd tier picks.

But again I am interested in which ofvthe 5 Centres I think may go from 11-20 isvthe best at draws? AND who is 3nd best...etc..If it s close in ranking as per my example of Lundestrom Hayton and Kotkaniemi or McBain perhaps going ahead of Kotkaniemi on some team's preference,then faceoff prowess Could be a deciding factor on thei targeting one of these guys ..But it is difficult to come up with face-off stats for alk these guys. As well ,some of them play wing onn their euro pro team and only hetvusedxatcC for theirv National Junior or u-18 experience ...thevideaxbeing they should not be given the extra responsibilities of a C in the pros till they gain more pro experience ..So you might not get true fac-off ability unless you scour what they did for their National al squads as Juniors in u-29 and u-18 pkay if these stats are available .
Also the OHL does not give faceoff stats except top 5 in the league ..so again gardctongetcavgandle get a handle von this for OHL Centte prospects for the draft .

The Q dies publish face-off stats for alk players ..so that isvthe easiest source to get a handle of guys like Veleno and Groulx in the dot .

Lijevhexalready OHL,the WHL does not give fac-off stats ..so hard to get a handle on its Centre prospects for the draft. .though this draft no WHL centres look to be first round material .
Do not know I'd Tkachuk plays C in college or if te USNTDP gives face-off stats if Whalstrom playing as a C ..

But if anyone has seen scouting report scintilla who is creaky goid von drawscthatviscI think vital information in evaluating a Centre target .
I appreciate the long response.
Tkachuk and Wahlstrom are and will be wingers. They’re already playing on the wing respectively. This is my own personal rankings; it doesn’t factor in who is and isn’t a center. I’m not a fan of Tkachuk, that’s just a personal opinion.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Excellent list. I wonder about a few players not on the list. D--Christian Lindberg, Michal Ivan, Martin Bucko, Juuso Ketola. Forwards--Carl Wassenius, Jeremi Gerber, Oliver Okuliar, Andrej Kukuca. I haven't seen any of these players--interested if they are as good as numbers indicate?
Ivan and Wassenius could have made it and were close, but didn’t. The others I haven’t seen or focused on. Will watch for next week.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
What's your take on Jake Wise, and where do you think he goes? Wasn't he one of those kids who, a few years ago, was a project first round (top 10 pick) or am I confusing him with someone else?

Reactions: Tryamkin

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Went and saw the steelheads game yesterday and they were dominant. Came away thoroughly impressed with Ryan McLeod. Excellent skater, great vision and ply maker, had a nice goal but id say the shot is a work in progress. I feel like he may be a sleeper in this draft. Plays in behind his brother and didnt get the primary pp opportunities. Overall would see him as a 1st rder

Reactions: Tryamkin

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
What's your take on Jake Wise, and where do you think he goes? Wasn't he one of those kids who, a few years ago, was a project first round (top 10 pick) or am I confusing him with someone else?
No you’re correct, he was once viewed as a Top 5 pick due to his exceptional status exemption but has fallen off due to a lack lustre couple seasons. He’ll probably go somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round, I really don’t see a team wasting a 1st round pick on him.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Went and saw the steelheads game yesterday and they were dominant. Came away thoroughly impressed with Ryan McLeod. Excellent skater, great vision and ply maker, had a nice goal but id say the shot is a work in progress. I feel like he may be a sleeper in this draft. Plays in behind his brother and didnt get the primary pp opportunities. Overall would see him as a 1st rder
Yep, the issue there, is he’s a pass first player and doesn’t really use his shot well enough, or have a very effective one, it’s a pretty lack lustre part of his game. Like his brother, both McLeods have incredible speed, good hands and great playmaking ability; but the shot leaves a lot to be desired.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Yep, the issue there, is he’s a pass first player and doesn’t really use his shot well enough, or have a very effective one, it’s a pretty lack lustre part of his game. Like his brother, both McLeods have incredible speed, good hands and great playmaking ability; but the shot leaves a lot to be desired.

I agree that there is some risk here. However i cant help but love the toolbox. 6"2 center that has NHL speed and NHL hands.

Ryan seems to survey the game very well, skates with his head up and looks for the best available option. Played simple and didnt force plays. Also wasn't afraid of playing in the corners and did a good job of shielding the puck.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018

#11 Isaac Lundestrom
#13 Barrett Hayton
#15 Jesperi Kotkaniemi
#18 .Jack McBain
#20 .Joe Veleno

I would think they would have some idea of how these guys do at face-offs, even if the stats are more or less a collection of anecdotes from those "in-the-know".
I still think McBain goes in second round, early, as well as Veleno.
Lundestrom goes tops in my view.
Not sure about Hayton - the guy is rolling right now on top of the hype machine!

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Veleno goes top 20
McBain-will not bust- will go late 25-31
Hayton will bust as will Kupari

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
You mean never makes the pros?

Or poops the bed on draft day?
As in he will not be anymore than a fourth line forward in the nhl or will not have over a 35 point season. Somewhere along those lines. He's a big guy with good hitting and is good at getting in front of the net, but he always looks like he is out of control when he skates. He isn't as dominate as he should be.
Very rough and choppy hands and skating.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
As in he will not be anymore than a fourth line forward in the nhl or will not have over a 35 point season. Somewhere along those lines. He's a big guy with good hitting and is good at getting in front of the net, but he always looks like he is out of control when he skates. He isn't as dominate as he should be.
Very rough and choppy hands and skating ability.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Lol where have you seen McBain play?
The 9 second you tube Hlinka highlight?
You must think that Noel will not get drafted at all. Out of control, no hands, no nothing.....
Takes bigger kids a lot longer to grow into themselves.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Very surprised that Tryamkin would “like” your comment McBain busts, given that he has him ranked 24.
Anyway I respect, but disagree with your opinion.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Lol where have you seen McBain play?
The 9 second you tube Hlinka highlight?
You must think that Noel will not get drafted at all. Out of control, no hands, no nothing.....
Takes bigger kids a lot longer to grow into themselves.
I have seen enough of this kid to make my opinion. Just because their big, doesn't mean i dislike them. I really like rasmussen for example. He's a big guy that I see potential in, he's able to compete at the next level. Mcbain on the other hand, I see a lot of speed and grind but don't see that same capability of going to the next level. Too many undeveloped parts of his game that are hard to improve on. I can't really say much about Noel because I haven't seen enough of him.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Veleno goes top 20
McBain-will not bust- will go late 25-31
Hayton will bust as will Kupari
This isn’t a mock draft, it’s my rankings of the players. Veleno will get taken higher than he should, same with a McBain.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Very surprised that Tryamkin would “like” your comment McBain busts, given that he has him ranked 24.
Anyway I respect, but disagree with your opinion.
I’ve never been huge on McBain, just my opinion. I tend to like most posts in my thread whether I agree with them or not, so I wouldn’t read too much into that if I were you!

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Very rough and choppy hands and skating.
I can still see him as a middle six center for sure, I just don’t have the 1B Center hopes that most seem to have for him.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Tkachuk
5. Boqvist
6. Hughes
7. Wahlstrom
8. Farabee
9. Bouchard
10. Lundestrom
11. Kotkaniemi
12. Kupari
13. Mcleod
14. Veleno
15. Hayton

My opinion
Before freaking out on me, there are players I haven't seen enough of like:
Dobson, Thomas, Smith, Kravtsov, Noel, woo, denisenko, etc and I haven't ranked them because I haven't seen enough of them.
HM: Mcisaac, Wilde, and Bokk

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I think Brady Tkachuk will dissapoint most with high hopes for him. I see him as a weaker edition of his brother, which doesn’t go in the top 10 of this draft for me.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->