Triston Grant and Matt Kassian

Victory Ali*

What's the future for these two kids? I remember watching Grant and Kassian in the WHL protecting Brule and being just general bad-***s. I see on Hockeydb.com that Kassian is playing with the Phantoms of the AHL, not bad for a ninth round pick. What's their pros and cons and chances of making the big show? I've always had a huge weak spot for tough guys and enforcers and I've been trying to follow Grant, Kassian, FitzGerald, and Coburn. Any info would be great.

Thanks for reading this :)

Roger's Pancreas*

I know that Grant played a limited role with the Phantoms last year. He was an ineffective fighter who contributed by playing on the PK occasionally. He'll be expected to improve dramatically since Josh Gratton is gone.

Transported Upstater

Kassian was the WHL's best fighter last year.

That's all I know...

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Wrong Kassian, because Kassian got drafted by the Wild in the 2nd round...

He means Grant. Grant played for the Phantoms, and is a 9th round pick, Kassian played for Kamloops.

Both of them are very tough kids, and good friends I think. Grant's upside is probably as a AHL tough guy, although he might be able to pick up some points there if he can get on the PP and bang in some goals in front of the net. Probably not ever going to be NHL material though. Kassian has a slightly better shot at the NHL, but his skating really has to improve more than it has. He covers a fair amount of ice and his straight out speed is actually decent, but his turning and agility are terrible. If he can improve those areas and become a guy who can be useful on the forecheck and avoid being a liability he has an outside chance to play one day. Needs to become a smart player in his own zone, needs to get way more comfortable with the puck, needs to be able to use his massive frame (not that he isn't willing, but his quickness, anticipation and angling all need to improve for him to put himself in a position to use it) and needs to keep on fighting. He does have some good intagibles going for him though; he is by all reports a popular guy with his teammates, he's shown a good work ethic and willingness to work to improve, and the guy really can fight.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
^I remember Grant being at the Canucks training camp a couple of years ago. I was really disappointed they didn't offer him a contract; always showed up with his hard hat on, fought, hit anything that moved, was a generally tenacious SOB who got under everyone's skin. I loved watching him play.

~Canucklehead~

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad