Trifecta of awesomeness

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Kings are tops in the NHL in faceoff percentage (54.5%), goals against average (1.91) and winning percentage when being outshot (.900, thank you to Toronto for bumping us into first place :D ).

We are top five in a lot of other categories as well. No one can say our record is above our play or that we need to 'come back down to Earth.'

Must be Buddy the Elf's (AKA Justin Williams) Christmas mojo.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
We should be the talk of the town but noooooope it's Kobe's comeback and some delusional Laker fans who still think they have a shot at winning a title with him. LOL! But it's LA so understandable.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Meh rather not lead the winning percentage while being outshot stat. Screams come back to Earth stat to me.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
GAA is the only stat I care about. Pretty impressive how high we are with scrubs like Muzzin and Regehr on this team.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Meh rather not lead the winning percentage while being outshot stat. Screams come back to Earth stat to me.

It'd only scream that if we were getting outshot on a regular basis. I think we've only been outshot 10 times this season, or less than one-third of the time.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm glad the guys are playing well but unless this regular season can net us home ice advantage all through the Western playoffs, it all will be for naught. We have to put away Anaheim obviously but I need the Kings to beat Chicago badly. I believe the Kings are the best team and last year the best team did not win. We ran roughshod in 2012 while Chicago had a rather normal run in 2013 and faced us at 80%. Yet somehow they're considered the best...

The Kings will want to show that we can keep that team down to two goals or less just like any other team. 5-4 shootouts won't do...I remember they scored four on us in the 2013 series and this time we weren't lucky enough to score five back...

...rant over.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
GAA is the only stat I care about. Pretty impressive how high we are with scrubs like Muzzin and Regehr on this team.

I can't believe that so called 'analysts' (the ones on NBCSN ) can't see how important Goals Allowed are. During a post game talk on Wens, slobbering over the Hawks , they kept saying how they're the best team in the league, favored to repeat, etc.
They kept stressing the goals scored by the team per game average, but never mentioned the more important one, the goals allowed.
At that time, on Wens. night the Hawks GA was 93 the Kings 63.

For me, that's all the difference.

The Hawks are a great team, but not without fault and I don't think the Kings are getting enough praise for the outstanding job they've done since Quick went down and esp. the GA.

I can't waitfor Sunday, I hope the Kings dominate and and completeliy smother them.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I can't believe that so called 'analysts' (the ones on NBCSN ) can't see how important Goals Allowed are. During a post game talk on Wens, slobbering over the Hawks , they kept saying how they're the best team in the league, favored to repeat, etc.
They kept stressing the goals scored by the team per game average, but never mentioned the more important one, the goals allowed.

The Hawks are a great team, but not without fault and I don't think the Kings are getting enough praise for the outstanding job they've done since Quick went down and esp. the GA.

I can't waitfor Sunday, I hope the Kings dominate and and completeliy smother them.

Yeah, our defense and goaltending has been nothing short of sensational.

Another Carter Snipe

Terminated User
Oct 20, 2011
San Diego, CA
GAA & PK > GFA & PP in my opinion. (Of course, you'd always want a high rank in all four categories)

I'd always want to rely on the former rather than the latter. Have seen too many scoring teams or Top ranked PP teams struggle to score in the playoffs, then have nothing to rely on when they're in their own zone.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale

Agreed. People will point to last year's playoff matchup, but that Kings team is nowhere near this year's in defensive proficiency. The 2013 team never truly got the defense mojo going all season long. The team was not prepared to have no Mitchell or Greene for long stretches and even with picking up Regehr, he was playing with an arm that needed surgery.

Last year, the team was scrambling to pick up replacement players. This year, the only loss was Scuderi, but at least it happened during the FA period and everyone knew that his loss would be final. This year's squad is playing at 2012 intensity levels. And remember, for as godlike people portray the Hawks as, they got bounced in Round 1 in 2012 and the Kings went 3-0 vs them in the regular season. Tables can turn quickly.

Another Carter Snipe

Terminated User
Oct 20, 2011
San Diego, CA
Agreed. People will point to last year's playoff matchup, but that Kings team is nowhere near this year's in defensive proficiency. The 2013 team never truly got the defense mojo going all season long. The team was not prepared to have no Mitchell or Greene for long stretches and even with picking up Regehr, he was playing with an arm that needed surgery.

Last year, the team was scrambling to pick up replacement players. This year, the only loss was Scuderi, but at least it happened during the FA period and everyone knew that his loss would be final. This year's squad is playing at 2012 intensity levels. And remember, for as godlike people portray the Hawks as, they got bounced in Round 1 in 2012 and the Kings went 3-0 vs them in the regular season. Tables can turn quickly.

I always felt that last year this team stopped playing to it's identity with about 8 games left in the regular season. At game 41 to the end of playoffs, the Kings were regularly getting outshot every game, and relying solely on Quick to keep the score close so they could score opportunistic goals. It truly wasn't LA King Sutter hockey.

This year, I feel like we're back to 2012. Airtight defense, elite goaltending, a vicious forecheck, and routinely dominating Time-on-Attack.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I had forgot about Scuds. Goes to show how much more important the system is than a player (if Quick's injury didn't already show that). The fact Scuds was lost and we didn't skip a beat is really awesome.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

I don't think that was the problem with last years playoff round vs CHI. To me, there were three major issues:

1) Quick's worst series of the 3....let in a bunch of bad goals.
2) Kopitar/Brown were NOTHING like the 2012 playoffs
3) We lost Richards for 3 of the 5 games.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

You just wrote what I was saying to me T.V. while those vapid simps were yammering on.

I like us against the Hawks in the playoffs for exactly those reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad