Triathlons

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well done all told, Ray. The bike bit sounds rough, with the road surface and the wind.

I never had a outright good run in a 70.3 or full distance, but I never did have my stomach quit on me.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Read some other recaps from the race and I'm definitely not the only one who had some complaints about the rain.

No kiddin? I had a great run at the Coeur d'Alene half. And was very happy with this run even with how poorly the last 10K went.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Well, looks like Ironman Whistler is the A race for next year. July 29th 2018. Tough race.

bike elevation - 6500+ feet of gain (1989 meters)
run elevation - 1036 feet of gain (316 meters)

Going to try and do the half in St. George, UT in May.... which is also a tough course. Will be a good way to kick off the season and get the prep going for Whistler.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sounds good, Ray. I hear Whistler's a really good race.

Sat up this weekend to watch the IM Kona race. The most important thing that happened wasn't caught on camera... A van pulled out right in front of one of the pro men, on the bike leg. He T-boned it at around 50 kph.

He's worse for wear.

What a disaster for the Ironman organisation. It was a guarded crossing, and apparently the police officer there tried to stop the driver, but... Man, that's gotta hurt!

Reactions: RayP

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Sounds good, Ray. I hear Whistler's a really good race.

Sat up this weekend to watch the IM Kona race. The most important thing that happened wasn't caught on camera... A van pulled out right in front of one of the pro men, on the bike leg. He T-boned it at around 50 kph.

He's worse for wear.

What a disaster for the Ironman organisation. It was a guarded crossing, and apparently the police officer there tried to stop the driver, but... Man, that's gotta hurt!

Yeah, read about that. So sad.... I’ve read of other instances of the same thing happening, but never with an athlete injured this badly. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

I watched a decent amount of it too. Man I wish I could run even half as pretty as Lange. So fluid.

Lionel on the other hand..... :laugh: couldn’t be more of the opposite. Looks like a wounded duck. He does some interesting training videos that I always enjoy watching, btw. Big fan of his.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Hell of a training day today. Got up a 4:45 this morning. Swam 3200 yards. Went to work. Came home - 3.5 hour 70 mile ride on the trainer. 2 mile brick run at 7:45 per mile. Dunno where the hell that pace came from, I never run sub 8 minute miles.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Capped of the week with a 9 mile run today. About 9 minutes per mile. Really really liked that because it was basically 4.5 miles all uphill, then turn around and head home.

Have the day off tomorrow, both work and training.... so will hit the slopes tomorrow for the 3rd straight day. :yo:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Ironman finally released the new bike course for Whistler, which I’m already signed up for. Can’t say I’m particular thrilled about the idea of a 3 poop bike course, especially since the 70.3 is on the same day. Not sure how well that’s going to work.

But I am stoked about the 8400 feet (2579 meters) of climbing the bike course now has. Love a good challenge.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'm honestly a bit surprised they added that much elevation from the original course, which was in the 6000 foot range. As I understand it, there is a town on the old course that refused to open their roads up to the race this year, so I get the vibe that the new course is the only bike course they could hold.

Only concern will be start times. The 70.3 is on the same day, and with 3 loops for the full that course has the chance to get messy in a minute... especially with some of those downhills there will have to be.

I'd like to add a flat race just to see what type of time I could crank out but not sure that'll happen in the next year or two. Plans are to do the 70.3 St. George which is pretty hilly, and I'd guess my next full would be Boulder since it's a 6 or so hour drive from where we live now, which is also fairly hilly.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Actually considering a mini Triathlon that is local here in June. Never done one before. 400m swim, 22km ride, 4.5km run. How hard would that be on someone completely inexperienced? How much training needed just to be able to finish? Anything to be aware of?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Actually considering a mini Triathlon that is local here in June. Never done one before. 400m swim, 22km ride, 4.5km run. How hard would that be on someone completely inexperienced? How much training needed just to be able to finish? Anything to be aware of?

You...... run, right? Been running lately?

Biggest issue would be trying to get comfortable open water swimming in a large group. That can be a big adjustment. Beyond that, I wouldn't say a ton of training would be necessary just to finish.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
You...... run, right? Been running lately?

Biggest issue would be trying to get comfortable open water swimming in a large group. That can be a big adjustment. Beyond that, I wouldn't say a ton of training would be necessary just to finish.
Training for a 10km run right now. Not intensely, I have no plans to run the entire 10k, but I am not too worried about the short run anyways, at least not on it's own. After a swim and a long ride, I'm not sure what to expect.

The swim is just laps of an indoor pool, not open water.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Training for a 10km run right now. Not intensely, I have no plans to run the entire 10k, but I am not too worried about the short run anyways, at least not on it's own. After a swim and a long ride, I'm not sure what to expect.

The swim is just laps of an indoor pool, not open water.

Then if that’s the case on the swim, just go slow and I don’t think you’ll have any issue at all.

I’d take it as easy as possible on the swim, moderate to hard on the bike, and then on the run go all out, if I were you.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Agree on the pacing advice from Ray. It might be a good idea to throw in a few hard, short bike rides, where you go running immediately after that. The transition from biking to running can feel REALLY funky in your legs, so it'd help to prepare that bit, IMO.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Agree on the pacing advice from Ray. It might be a good idea to throw in a few hard, short bike rides, where you go running immediately after that. The transition from biking to running can feel REALLY funky in your legs, so it'd help to prepare that bit, IMO.

Yeah that’s a good point. I was cycling and running 3-4 times a week for each for a good year.

First time I ran off the bike felt so awkward and I was crazy sore from it.

marinoni1983

Feb 8, 2017
Well, looks like Ironman Whistler is the A race for next year. July 29th 2018. Tough race.

bike elevation - 6500+ feet of gain (1989 meters)
run elevation - 1036 feet of gain (316 meters)

Going to try and do the half in St. George, UT in May.... which is also a tough course. Will be a good way to kick off the season and get the prep going for Whistler.
I did Whistler in 2015 - the ride out of Whistler to Pemberton is something else I cant imagine another 2000 feet, there's about a 20ish km portion that's all uphill, really wish I would of had the road bike for that portion. I did it in 13h30 minutes lost roughly an hour though with a blown tubular... What a silly mistake that was. Would love to get out there again, but Tremblant is most likely next for me.

Reactions: RayP

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
That's good advice, thanks guys. It's not til June, so I've got some time to train a bit. Been itching to take the bike out of storage but just got another dump of snow today....:thumbd:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I did Whistler in 2015 - the ride out of Whistler to Pemberton is something else I cant imagine another 2000 feet, there's about a 20ish km portion that's all uphill, really wish I would of had the road bike for that portion. I did it in 13h30 minutes lost roughly an hour though with a blown tubular... What a silly mistake that was. Would love to get out there again, but Tremblant is most likely next for me.

It's also a 3 loop bike course this year. :rolleyes:

I have no issue with the climbing, in fact like the challenge, but had I known it was going to be a 3 loop bike course I might have chosen another race. Those descents on the 3rd loop when that bike course is full is going to be an adventure. No to mention the 70.3 is on the same day and same course, but not sure what time they're starting.

I'm not too worried about any of the climbs with what I'll have to train on out here, and already have trained on. I've got some great routes here where I can get a 90-120 minute non-stop climb in but where I can still keep my HR in the 140s-150s. As well as some shorter climbs that will be just obliterate your legs.

I'll be curious how my friends from back in Atlanta handle the climbing who wants have that easy of access to train on comparable hills well be. Yeah, I know, watts are watts... but I don't buy that entirely. You still need to know how to pace on hills and part of that you can't just mock on a trainer or whatever.

Last edited:

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Give em hell, Ray :) What's your raceplan / expected time?

I've been completely out of commission with a cold for a week now, which is just no good. Have a local quarter Ironman next weekend - that should be easy enough (he said omniously).

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Getting a bit worried... Your bike splits looked off (it IS a tough course though), and you only show up as far as 20k on the run on the mobile website, but no run splits at all on the desktop version...?

It looks like a failed tracking chip, or a DNF...

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Getting a bit worried... Your bike splits looked off (it IS a tough course though), and you only show up as far as 20k on the run on the mobile website, but no run splits at all on the desktop version...?

It looks like a failed tracking chip, or a DNF...

The tracking was a little off throughout the day, I was told.... but as mentioned a big ol DNF on Strava. First race I’ve ever DNF’d. Still in shock.

Morning started out not great. Woke up with an excruciating headache at 3:15am. Ate a full breakfast. Drank some plain water and Gatorade while getting ready for the early 6am start. Relatively low stress morning minus the headache. We get to T2, drop some bags off and hop the shuttle to the swim start.

This is where a little stress builds. I ask to borrow a pump, a guy gives me a pump and I connect the pump to my valve and tsssssssss all the air is dumped out of my tire. His pump bent my valve and he NOW tells me oh yeah my pump is broken I’m looking for one to borrow too. Are you f***ing kidding me!!?? :facepalm:

Anyways, get my tires set up and I’m good to go. That distracted from my headache a bit, which still hasn’t gone away. So I go put my wet suit on at about 5:55 and am then about to go get in line for the swim and as I’m doing that my coach shows up and says something funny so that was all sorts of awesome. Flew across the country while he’s training for Kona just to watch us race. Amazing.

I end up having a great swim and didn’t overdo it at all. Last year I couldn’t swim for months leading up to the rare because of the car accident and rotator cuff physical therapy. I was hoping for 75-80 minutes so when I saw 72 I was really pumped. I didn’t think I’d be able to hold that low of a pace for the full swim, was thinking more like 75 best case.

I then get on the bike and the headache acts back up. The first 2-3 hours my head hurt but it wasn’t awful. Stayed on top of hydration and ate a few 200 calorie Skratch bars. Around 10:15 I notice it’s starting to get got. Really, really hot. Someone said it hit triple digits. Make sure to stay on top of my hydration and will eat in T2 and first few aid stations to make up for missing some calories. Easier to make up for that and you can’t make up for hydration.

I do notice I’m seeing more salt stains on my shorts than I like so I grab my salty chips while still on the bike and eat all of those and get another 300 calories before wrapping up the bike to boot.

I finish up the bike and am happy with my pace/HR/time, not an easy bike at all and it was pretty dangerous out there. You had a lot of people riding on the left side of the road holding their brakes while others have no room to pass on the left passing on the right going 45-50mph. Just not good.

The road quality I thought was mostly fine but there were a couple sections that were kind of sketchy, but the RD had her hands tied and I think overall she did an amazing job. 3 loops did get a little more boring on the bike than I thought it would, though. Oh.... and bears. So many bears out there. Saw several on the bike on the side of the road and a picture of a little guy sprinting across the road in front of a few bikers. Crazy, never seen a bear before outside a zoo.

So anyways, I make it to the run and I’m kind of feeling like ass but am pretty sure it’s just low on calories. Not too worried about it. Eat another bar in T2, take a pee, and get running. First two miles were ROUGH. I got about half a mile in and had to walk already. A tough hill but nothing tougher than what I trained on for almost 7 months. Legs felt fine, but just didn’t have it in me to run up. I know I need more calories so I load up on everything at the aid station. Gels and salt and a cold bottle of water.

I get to a flat ish part and an able to start running again and see my coach and he runs with me for a little bit and gives me a pep talk. I get to mile 2 and all those calories are kicking in and I feel awesome. Start to think to myself we’ve righted the ship. Miles 2-10 I’m running around 9 minute miles with ease, HR in the mid 140s. Good all around. Walking the aid stations getting my water bottle filled and taking in as many calories as possible. Headache still there but manageable.

I get to mile 11 and the wheels just fall off. Everything crashed just out of nowhere. I’ve been making sure to take in probably more calories than I need at every aid station, and stayed on top of my hydration. Honestly not sure what happened. I figure I’ll run walk a little bit, so do that, and I just end up feeling worse and worse. Then my headache starts to go from annoying to legit painful. Started to get dizzy and definitely couldn’t run a straight line. Then it gets to the point I’m struggling to walk a straight line and that’s when I knew it was time to call it. It was still 90+ degrees so it wasn’t getting any cooler and hadn’t cooled down at all really. I started to have flashbacks of the race that lead to the seizure and medically induced coma. I know I could have walked the rest, but with that on my mind and knowing I’m probably only going to dehydrated myself more... Just didn’t want to risk it again given the poor shape I was already in.

Oh, and my shorts were just crusted in salt. I kept taking salt at every single aid station but I guess my body just didn’t want to hold onto it.

It sucks, but I think it was the right call. :dunno:

My coach is going to look at my data and call me this week. From what I can tell I biked just fine and no issues there. Even dialed back the last 40 miles from the plan to counterbalance the heat.

Typed this all on my phone so hopefully it’s legible lol.

Not sure what’s next.... may take a crack at Arizona this November since I have all this training, average temps for that race are low 70s, and it’s a short flight. Spent too much training in the mountains this year for this to be how my only big race plays out for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad