Triathlons

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I honestly do not know, Ray. She is in my club still, but I haven't seen her in ages.

A good weekend, really. Some biking and some running. But I'm nowhere near where I was the last two years...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Gotcha... weather ended up not being that bad. There was a torrential downpour where I live for maybe 20 minutes, but after that, all the storms they called for never developed.

Good weekend of training here. 75 miles on the bike Saturday, and that was hit. 115 miles and a 3 mile run yesterday. Both went really well.

marinoni1983

Feb 8, 2017
Gotcha... weather ended up not being that bad. There was a torrential downpour where I live for maybe 20 minutes, but after that, all the storms they called for never developed.

Good weekend of training here. 75 miles on the bike Saturday, and that was hit. 115 miles and a 3 mile run yesterday. Both went really well.

Ottawa had it's first triathlon this weekend but the swimming had to be cancelled water was way too cold, so did the long duathlon instead 2k run, 35k bike, 5k run.. Did it in 1h24min did the 35k cycling in 52 minutes the conditions were absolutely perfect with little wind and a flat course was able to keep a high cadence with not having to swim. 3 days a week dedicated to various squats and glute specific exercises over the winter have really paid off. I did very little training on the bike this winter ran twice a week instead and feeling stronger then ever...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Finally cleared by doctors and PTs to take the training wheels off when it comes to swimming. Have been limited to 30 minute light swims, until tomorrow. Going for an open water swim in a somewhat nearby lake with a bunch of other training partners. Really looking forward to it even if my endurance in the water sucks right now. :hyper:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Hah! Believe it or not, I was seriously looking into IM Copenhagen for next year. I'd love to take you up on the offer, but the wife and I are trying to have a kid. If for some reason it still hasn't happened, or she's only barely pregnant come when that race would be.... Will seriously consider.

Technically not racing today, but the coaching firm I'm with are hosting a mock race day for me and about 8 others that are all about the same level. Starting with a 50 minute swim, then a 6 hour ride, and a 90 minute run. I've met most of the people going, and great people to hang and train with. Really looking forward to it.

Then I have a proper century ride/race in Oregon next weekend.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hah! Believe it or not, I was seriously looking into IM Copenhagen for next year. I'd love to take you up on the offer, but the wife and I are trying to have a kid. If for some reason it still hasn't happened, or she's only barely pregnant come when that race would be.... Will seriously consider.

Technically not racing today, but the coaching firm I'm with are hosting a mock race day for me and about 8 others that are all about the same level. Starting with a 50 minute swim, then a 6 hour ride, and a 90 minute run. I've met most of the people going, and great people to hang and train with. Really looking forward to it.

Then I have a proper century ride/race in Oregon next weekend.

I was takling about Elsinore 70.3:)

But ok, the full distance would work, too.

Go ahead and bring the Missus.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
We had an awesome race sim day yesterday.

2600 meter swim 1:55/100 pace for me, no wet suit, couple out and backs in the lake.
100 mile ride - had to slow down so others could keep up, so averaged about 18.2mph (about 30kph), and my HR was super low. Also had about 5000 feet of climbing (1524m)
10 mile run - it was hot hot hot for the run (35C+), so this was just about staying hydrated, and keeping the internal body temp low. Still managed 9:13/miles which I was happy with. Plus that 10 miles had about the same amount of elevation the full marathon will have come race day. Not to mention I ran 20 miles just 2 days prior to all this, so the legs were feeling pretty tired once we hit mile 8 or so.

Great day, and we had about 9 of us take part in some form, and 7 of us do the whole thing. A couple of the quicker runners ran together at their pace.

I was takling about Elsinore 70.3:)

But ok, the full distance would work, too.

Go ahead and bring the Missus.

Oh, hah! I'm actually going to float the idea out there to her just to gauge her reaction/interest.

Good luck today dude!

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Winner came in at 3:42:52..... wow. Averaged 44.3kph/27mph on the bike, and then ran a 1h14m half marathon. :laugh:

Mind sharing a Strava/Garmin file when you're done Imp?

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm sooooo tired right now. Straight back to work today.

Had a decent enough swim, although the route was really complicated. Not fast at all, but I swam in 41 minutes or so at this event last year, and did it in 44 this year - having swum three (3!!!!) times since Ironman last year.

T1 is really, really long, and took forever. But at least the 300m run over grass could be done this year with cycling shoes in hand, not on the feet.

My shoulders were really tight during the first 15k on the bike, and it took me a good while to get comfortable. Still, I had a pretty good ride, overtaking my brother about halfway (we had entered the water at the same time, and he was out of T1 about 3½ minutes before me). My bike leg came in at just a smidgen under 2:30. Pretty decent - the last two years were both around 2:25. It had gotten pretty warm during the bike ride, and I had had trouble drinking enough, and taking on gels. That wasn't so good...

The run was atrocious. I had a stinger after about 30m, and absolutely leaden legs. Just completely out of it. I managed to struggle through, and ended in a run time of 2:33, for a total of 5:59. About 40 minutes slower than last year, almost all lost on the run.

I think the trouble was inadequate hydration, and the small fact that the temps were not the forecasted 22C, but topped out at 27C (81F) (!), with reasonably high humidity. It was a really tough day for a 70.3.

Anyway, I'm reasonably satisfied with my performance. My conditioning is nowhere near what it was last year, and I do have a couple or ten extra kilos to schlep around, so... yeah.

Still beat my brother by approx. 9 minutes :)

It was nice to do another long triathlon event, and it felt as epic as always. That was nice. Now it's time to rest up a bit before we drive for the Alps on Saturday.

Bike leg: https://www.strava.com/activities/1042555703

Run leg: https://www.strava.com/activities/1042557231

Oh, and the medal for this year is hela cool. A square, with a hand holding a skull - a la Hamlet. "To be or not to be" is engraved on the back.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I mean given your lack of swimming, you can't complain about that at all..... Sucks about T1. T1 for Santa Rosa is apparently very long, to the point most people will have shoes to toss on as soon as they get out of the water. Not particularly looking forward to that, but nothing you can do about it.

That's a damn nice bike time if you ask me. Sucks on the nutrition/hydration.

Did you end up walking a lot or just jog really slow? I can't remember you old running times/pace, but that does seem really, really slow for you.

Still a nice race overall an still sub 6 hours!

Oh, an saw the medal on Strava.... very cool indeed!

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah, that is awfully high. When I am dehydrated, that happens to me. Although even when I walk I can normally get it to a somewhat normal level.... But if I try even the slowest of jogs, it will shoot to the 160/170 range in seconds.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Long run this morning, 16 miles at a 9:04 pace with 200 more feet of elevation than I'll see over the full marathon come race day.

That leaves me with only one more long training day, this Saturday, and then my training is essentially complete! :yo:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
And DONE!

Thursday - 16M run
Friday - 50M ride
Saturday - 100M ride + 10M run.

:yo:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Long ass few days, to say the least. But it all went about as successful as I could have hoped for.

I was feeling like ass coming off the bike Saturday and honestly didn't think I'd be able to run 15 minutes straight, let alone 100. Didn't get to run as quick as I'd have liked, but the goal was to run 100 straight minutes and I was able to accomplish that.

Sure will be interesting to see what the pace and times look like come race day. I've trained on way more hills than I'll see on race day, not to mention I haven't had a single long day on completely fresh legs. 19 more days.... :hyper:

Also might be getting a nice set of Mavic Cosmic Pro Wheels (about a $1200 set of wheels, so huge upgrade over my stock wheels), and I'm borrowing my friends real high end Roka suit.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I owned the Cosmic Carbone SL (a couple of years older, but same tech).

Don't go that route, Ray. You'll be MUCH happier with, say, Giant P-SLR Aero 1 or Zipp 60.

Value-wise, the Cosmic wheels are not up to snuff, compared to those two sets. The price ought to be a wash.

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Well I "got stuck" with the Cosmics. Weren't my number one choice but we moved out this week, and only place I could find to take my backup road bike for a reasonable trade in value.... those were the only wheels that were within budget. May end up selling them down the road, but ran out of options with the move and just had to unload the other bike.

Ironman Santa Rosa is a week from today. Will get a new black saddle after that.

oaL1mmV.jpg

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'll do a short one for the time being, since we are still traveling and I only have a phone with me.

When I started training for this race my initial goal was anything in the 12 hour range would be considered a success. Heading into the race I really thought of everything went perfect I MIGHT be able to come in right at or just under 12 hours.

During the taper and leading up to the race, everything was feeling great physically. Only issue I had was it took longer to get those wheels in my hands than what I was promised. They come stock with 25mm tires that aren't known for being great, and I never got a clear cut answer to how well they'd run with my 23mm Conti 4000 GSPs on them. Since I couldn't get a straight answer on that and since I wouldn't be able to just put gem on and test it out, I just kept the stock tires on. Definitely much slower tires but didn't have to stress over something happening while on the bike.

Swim: 2 loop lake swim. First loop was fine and uneventful. Second loop was chaotic as hell trying to pass a lot of the slower swimmers. Was a wetsuit legal swim, and the water was pretty warm. I wore my friends Rosa Pro Maverick full sleeved wetsuit. A lot of people complained it was too hot for a wet suit but I was perfectly comfortable in it. Just settled into a nice light z2 effort and finished at 1:21:23. I probably could have finished significantly quicker but that would have required burning a lot of energy with short bursts passing people. So there were a few times I just settled in behind some slower swimmers until a passing lane developed.

T1 was a bit of a *****. Probably the steepest hill all day was getting out of the water and into the changing tents. Had a nice calm and stress free transition, though. 12:03. Took my time and made sure I didn't forget anything. Bike was racked pretty much on an end, so that was nice. Oh.... and 2 people next to me found out the morning of that a family of foxes got into the bike bag area overnight and ate all their nutrition. :laugh:

Bike: already touched on this above. Fairly easy bike course, about 3100 feet of climbing. Going into it on my original setup I think if I really pushed it I could have finished the bike in about 5:35. Normally the bike is where I perform the best, but the goal was to not overdo it like I did last year. First 35 miles my average HR was suppose to stay in the mid to high 120s, maxing out no more than low 140s for the last 30 miles. First half of the ride was real scenic riding through vineyards and stuff. Second half was pretty boring with stretches of roads so bad you couldn't go more than 10mph for stretches that lasted a mile+. Just really, really ****** roads. Ended up sticking to the bike plan as I was suppose to, but came in MUCH slower than I anticipated. It was a lot windier than anything I ever trained in, so that definitely dented the time in a way that I wasn't expecting. Official bike time was 6:18:15.

T2 really uneventful. Noticed a lot of people complaining about how hard the bike course was, so that made me feel better about being slower than I expected given my legs still felt great. T2 time 11:15.

Run: 3 loop run. Plan was for HR in the 140s for loop one. Low 150s for loop 2, and just get it done for loop 3. Loop one went about as well as I could have asked for. HR average about 147. Loop 2 went great as well. Average HR for the first two loops combine was then around 150. Legs still feeling awesome after loop 2. I wanted to be around 10 minute miles for the day. Pretty easy run, 276 feet of elevation gain for the whole run. Ran 20 miles straight, averaging right at 10 minutes per mile while walking all the aid stations and taking my time to make sure I got everything I needed. Mile 20 was when my stomach just went to absolute hell. Legs were fine, but I couldn't keep any fluids or solids down. Just an absolute mess. Was able to then force myself to do some run walk intervals. Did that till about mile 23. That was the goal I then set, thinking if I can get to mile 23 run/walking at that point I can tell myself it's just a 5K left and run if ouf from there. So I did get that dons, average about 12 minute miles in the process..... but my stomach felt miserable in the process. Started getting a little light headed. Had to walk miles 24 and 25, then ran/walked about 1/2 mile.... and then ran the last 1/2 mile or so when we finally made it back into town and fed off the energy of the crowd. The crowd was awesome, but what did suck was on the run you only saw the crowd for MAYBE a total of a mile. Rest of the run was on like a nature path, and just dreadfully lonely out there. No energy or anything to feed off. It was pretty tough. Official run time was 4:53:15.

Total time being 12:56:08. So at the end of the day did hit my goal, and truly only felt like I had to suffer the final 10K of the run.... so if that's all pain I really had to endure over a full Ironman, that's not too bad in my books. The volunteer and crowd support was great, there just wasn't a lot of it which was kind of a bummer. A week before the race they had to change the run course because of a lack of volunteers.

Hopefully this reads decently since it was all on my phone haha.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Couple other random things.... swim was way north of the finish line, so had a 45 minute but ride at 4am to the swim start which kinda sucked. Speaking of the morning of, we stayed in an AirBNB with a gated entry with basically a garage remote to open/close the gate. We get in the car at 3:45am to drive to the shuttles.... and the remote won't open the gate. :laugh:

Call the lady who we rented the condo from. Doesn't answer. Knock on the door to where she lives inside the property. Doesn't answer. No other way to get out, and can't get around the get any other way and couldn't even climb over it if we even tried.

Look inside the other cars parked by us and see one with their remote clipped to the visor and cross our fingers their car doors were unlocked and didn't have an alarm.... and thank god that the car was unlocked, and no alarm. So we did make it out, but man talk about a crappy way to start your race day morning and that damn early. :laugh: Ended up making it to one of the first few buses and to the swim start with plenty of time. Ate my breakfast on the drive up, talked with a few nervous first timers, and cleared the system out in those lovely Porta Potties with tons of time to spare. Normally I try to sleep as much as posssible and am then stressed out the morning of trying to make sure I get everything done I need to. Was much more enjoyable this way and will definitely plan for extra time going forward. Not going to sleep much the night before anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad