Triathlons

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I still don't know how to process it all. I'm going to meet with a neurologist next week and the following just to talk, so hopefully then I can get some closure or something with all of this. Obviously didn't work this week, and not working next week either. If it were up to me I'd probably work next week, but my wife doesn't want me to so I'm not arguing her with it.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Someone just told me that about 40% of the participants DNF/DNS. Damn.... Looks like there were 1652 people that actually finished, and I think 2700 overall that signed up, although not sure how many straight up did not start the race.

Last edited:

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Any chance for an update, Ray? How are you doing, and how's off-season?

I have a club member that just qualified for the world championship 70.3 in... Chattanoga! So if you know the course and stuff, and feel like sharing...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Any chance for an update, Ray? How are you doing, and how's off-season?

I have a club member that just qualified for the world championship 70.3 in... Chattanoga! So if you know the course and stuff, and feel like sharing...

Feeling better. Still have some inflammation in my chest which is stopping me from running and swimming, but I can cycle without any restrictions. I haven't been putting myself on the most challenging rides in terms of elevation of late, but have been working on upping my speed. My base ride is about 20 miles (32K) and I make sure that at a minimum I average 20 miles per hour. That ride has a little over 500 feet (150 meters) of climbing. I do that at least 3 times a week. Then I'll add another ride in with triple the elevation over the same distance. And another ride that's 2+ hours and in the middle in elevation terms.

Had my fasted ride to date ever yesterday. 21.5mph (34.6K) over the course of 26 miles (42K), and about 600 feet of climbing I think (180 ish meters).

That's awesome! My wife and I plan on volunteering for that race, actually. Definitely would be happy to share. I'm a few beers deep at the moment, so I can expand later if you have any other specific questions. It's a fun course though. It's almost always a downstream swim, except of course when I did the full there.... The bike course is scenic, at least by my standards. Should be about 2100 feet of climbing (640 meters). Nothing too difficult at any point, though, just a lot of rolling hills. There was really only one really long climb in distance, but nothing that really gasses your legs.

The run however is pretty hilly and difficult, although if he's done a full it shouldn't be anything too awful. Not the most scenic run, but pretty good support from the locals. At least for the full there was.

Does he know where he is staying yet? Or flying into? He might be better off flying into Atlanta, and then driving from there. He's going to have a connection in Atlanta most likely anyway, and for an out of towner I'd say it's about a 2 hour drive from Atlanta. Chattanooga is a nice little town, although the only reason I'm ever going to go there is if it's for a race.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
:laugh:"he's" a AG50-54 woman , but I'll tell her about this stuff when I see her next, and hear if she wants more info.

If she plans on spending time in the States before/after the race... I would not spend much time in Chattanooga beyond the weekend of the race, for what it's worth. That is not to saw Chattanooga is awful, it's just that if I'm coming from that far away I'd rather spend my time elsewhere.

How has your training been? I have never been injury prone, but man it's just one thing after the next with little tweaks and pulls of late. :rant:

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have taken a SERIOUS off-season, have put on weight and am generally not really satisfied right now.

I'm only doing one triathlon event next year, the 70.3 in Elsinore, and no training camps, I think, but I do plan on running two marathons - Copenhagen and Berlin.

I was in New York for 10 days recently, and had a run in Central Park. What a nice place to run. So many young ladies in nice clothes (the weather was really nice - spring-like).

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I had never noticed this part of the forum. Love it.

I did my first "try a tri" last year, at the age of 41. Ive been an avid cyclist for years (its totally my passion). I can swim. Dont enjoy running but I do it occasionally.

I went to view a tri in progress cause I wanted to see the layout n such. One thing I noticed was ... there are a LOT of out of shape people that seem to do triathlons. I was shocked to see a good portion of people who looked rather overweight. So I said to myself "christ, Im in pretty good shape. If that guy, who looks around 250lbs, can do it, so can I."

So a few weeks later, without any specific training, I signed up. It was a 250 meter/825ft swim, 15km/~9miles bike, 5km/3mil run.

I barely made it out of the fn water without drowning LOL. I thought I was going to die. My bike time was AWFUL because I was so dead from the swim. I can usually clip along at 35-40km/h (20-25mph) and coast. I can rev up more but thats a pretty good coast. I wasnt doing more than 20km/h. I couldnt breathe. The run? F that noise lol I felt like I was running in quicksand. With a weight vest. It was brutal.

But .. I finished. It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes .. but I finished.

I learned a very important lesson about judging people that day. Ahem.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Imp, I don't know if this will help motivate you at all.... but a friend of mine and myself need to improve our running. We are making it a goal to run 100 miles over the month of December, and that no matter what, a minimum of one mile per day.

Going to combine that with the goal of swimming 100,000 yards over the month of December as well. Looking at doing about 4000 yards per swim, since I won't be able to swim daily with my gym being closed on Christmas and me taking probably 1 day off per week of swimming.

And less alcohol. A LOT less alcohol. :laugh:

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Imp, I don't know if this will help motivate you at all.... but a friend of mine and myself need to improve our running. We are making it a goal to run 100 miles over the month of December, and that no matter what, a minimum of one mile per day.

Going to combine that with the goal of swimming 100,000 yards over the month of December as well. Looking at doing about 4000 yards per swim, since I won't be able to swim daily with my gym being closed on Christmas and me taking probably 1 day off per week of swimming.

And less alcohol. A LOT less alcohol. :laugh:

That sounds like quitter talk to me ;)

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Hah! I will still be drinking, but I don't exactly needed to get housed on a random Tuesday. Especially when most mornings I have to get up at 5am.

Oh Christ. I'm not sure how old you are but I haven't done that in years lol. At going on 43, if I got hosed on a Tuesday night, with work the next morning ... I'd be a zombie for a week haha

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Just signed up for Ironman Santa Rosa. :yo:

I've heard some complaints about the bike course being a little boring, given what the area has to offer, but it's an easy race and that's the priority. Should be a pretty lake swim, elevation is only 2800 on the bike. Run is also flat, and in town, and shaded. Average high temp in that area is in the high 80s, so even on a hot day out there significantly cooler than what Chattanooga was (in the 100+ range all day long).

Will then be able to parlay this into a nice trip with the wife hitting up a bunch of vineyards in Sonoma, and spending some time in San Francisco as well, which is where we'll fly in and out of.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Hired a coach today who will obviously provide a plan for me, as well as a ton of other advice and guidance. Not only that, but they run a masters program, cycling classes, organize camps, and a ton more.

Really excited about this decision. Hope they deliver what they promise, and if so, won't regret spending a penny on it.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Hired a coach today who will obviously provide a plan for me, as well as a ton of other advice and guidance. Not only that, but they run a masters program, cycling classes, organize camps, and a ton more.

Really excited about this decision. Hope they deliver what they promise, and if so, won't regret spending a penny on it.

A buddy of mine did a triathlon training course. Was like 6 months. Said it cost him a fortune but he worked his ass off and was able to do things he never could before.

I assume he meant picking up cars. But I could be wrong. Heh.

Good luck dude.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Imp, you still around? Training much these days and shed that weight?

Headed out of town this week with the group I joined for a camp. First time ever doing something like it, can't wait! Friday morning group swim, travel to house they rented, then a Friday evening group run. Saturday and Sunday there will be 80-120 mile group rides, with 4-8 transition runs after each.

Going to be one hell of a weekend! :hyper:

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sounds like a proper training weekend, that.

Well... I'm training more, but not enough, tbh. I have 10 days off over Easter, where I'm hoping to do a lot of biking, to gain form AND shed kgs.

I have a half marathon this weekend (Berlin), but I did a 10k last weekend and was not far from having to walk some of it (54 min).

My TFL on my left hip is giving me fits, still, which has resulted in a really tight right calf, from compensating. Today, though, I have half an hour with a really good masseuse (not THAT kind, ya yokel!), so I'm hoping to have better legs for Sunday.

Raceplan this year:

April 2nd: Berlin half marathon
May 21st: Copenhagen marathon (likely DNS)
June 18th: Ironman Kronborg 70.3 European championships
July 2nd: La Marmotte
Late September: Berlin marathon (my A race for this season).

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Sounds like a proper training weekend, that.

Well... I'm training more, but not enough, tbh. I have 10 days off over Easter, where I'm hoping to do a lot of biking, to gain form AND sheds kgs.

I have a half marathon this weekend (Berlin), but I did a 10k last weekend and was not far from having to walk some of it (54 min).

My TFL on my left hip is giving me fits, still, which has resulted in a really tight right calf, from compensating. Today, though, I have half an hour with a really good masseuse (not THAT kind, ya yokel!), so I'm hoping to have better legs for Sunday.

Raceplan this year:

April 2nd: Berlin half marathon
May 21st: Copenhagen marathon (likely DNS)
June 18th: Ironman Kronborg 70.3 European championships
July 2nd: La Marmotte
Late September: Berlin marathon (my A race for this season).

Got back from it late last night. So much fun. Amazing group of people to spend the weekend with, about 25 of us showed up, and 20 stayed for the entire weekend.

That's still a good pace. You running at a really high HR?

How did the half go?

La Marmotte scares he hell out of me. Can't even imagine.

Goal for your A race?

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Did the half marathon in 2:03. No sign of my usual issues listed above, but my legs just went dead after 15k, and I had to walk on-and-off for the last bit. It was 25 degrees Celcius (warm summer day) on Saturday, when we arrived, but more like 15 on Sunday, the day of the race. A bit of stress, that weather.

Decided on DNS for the Copenhagen Marathon. My A race is definitely Berlin Marathon.

La Marmotte is an awesome experience. Just so damn beautiful.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Your friend still planning on coming out this way for the 70.3 in Chatt?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If you're friend made it out as planned, hope they're doing well right now Imp. Some real sketchy weather this weekend, but it looks like everyone was at least able to attempt the swim. And it sure should have been a fast one!

I will say, if those roads are anywhere near as congested today as they were when I was out there. I'd cringe at the thought of being out on them while being wet, let alone if/when it's actually raining.

As for the run. I'd much rather run in this weather - 70s and not raining too hard - vs running in what we've had lately, with temps in the 90s. Zero shade at all on that course at any point. It's disgusting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad